Post Random Maps Here 2.0.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 10:59:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Post Random Maps Here 2.0.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 80
Author Topic: Post Random Maps Here 2.0.  (Read 208813 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1025 on: February 10, 2018, 01:54:42 PM »

1996: ‘64 all over again:

President Al Gore/Vice President Lee Hamilton: 495 Electoral Votes, 57.8%
Fmr. WH Comms. Dir. Pat Buchanan/Rep. Bob Dornan: 43 Electoral Votes, 41.2%

In September 1994, President Clinton was shot while visiting a diner and campaigning for Democratic candidates in Boulder, Colorado. The shooter was identified as a radical former Ross Perot/Pat Buchanan supporter who had communist tendencies, John Lee Jefferson, who was executed four months later. This incident put the country in a state of disarray. President Gore was sworn in, and decided to select Representative Lee Hamilton as Vice President, and he was confirmed by the Senate. The ticket stressed the progress Bill Clinton had made in office, while focusing on what President Gore was going to do in office. The main candidates for the Republicans decided to skip this election, causing Republican Pat Buchanan to narrowly win the nomination. President Gore easily crushes the Buchanan/Dornan ticket come November.
I wonder how 2000 turns out in this timeline...
1994 midterms are another question mark.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1026 on: February 10, 2018, 01:57:08 PM »

In September 1994, President Clinton was shot while visiting a diner and campaigning for Democratic candidates in Boulder, Colorado. The shooter was identified as a radical former Ross Perot/Pat Buchanan supporter who had communist tendencies, John Lee Jefferson, who was executed four months later. This incident put the country in a state of disarray. President Gore was sworn in, and decided to select Representative Lee Hamilton as Vice President, and he was confirmed by the Senate. The ticket stressed the progress Bill Clinton had made in office, while focusing on what President Gore was going to do in office. The main candidates for the Republicans decided to skip this election, causing Republican Pat Buchanan to narrowly win the nomination. President Gore easily crushes the Buchanan/Dornan ticket come November.
I have to assume the '94 midterms would be much more favorable for Democrats than they were IOTL.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1027 on: February 10, 2018, 02:01:37 PM »

I have to assume the '94 midterms would be much more favorable for Democrats than they were IOTL.
+3 GOP in Senate, +11 GOP in House? And +3 in governorships, with Tom Ridge losing in PA?
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1028 on: February 10, 2018, 02:05:23 PM »

guess the candidates.
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1029 on: February 10, 2018, 04:01:26 PM »

John Bel Edwards/the ghost of William Jennings Bryan versus any generic GOP ticket.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1030 on: February 10, 2018, 04:30:29 PM »

John Bel Edwards/the ghost of William Jennings Bryan versus any generic GOP ticket.

Big imagination but sadly no.
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1031 on: February 10, 2018, 04:50:06 PM »

Is Ben Nelson somewhere on the Democratic ticket? that would explain Nebraska and Kansas and the other states could simply be explained by it being a massive D landslide.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1032 on: February 10, 2018, 04:52:40 PM »

Is Ben Nelson somewhere on the Democratic ticket? that would explain Nebraska and Kansas and the other states could simply be explained by it being a massive D landslide.

yes.
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1033 on: February 10, 2018, 04:55:40 PM »

yes.
Ben Nelson/Kathleen Sebelius vs. Ted Cruz?
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1034 on: February 10, 2018, 04:56:06 PM »

yes.

yes.
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1035 on: February 10, 2018, 04:56:39 PM »

yes.

yes.
Seriously? that's literally the exact match-up?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1036 on: February 10, 2018, 05:22:01 PM »

+3 GOP in Senate, +11 GOP in House? And +3 in governorships, with Tom Ridge losing in PA?

If the map's title of "'64 all over again" holds true, then we perhaps see the major Republican push shifted to 1998, and in 2000 the triumph of some sort of ideologically nondescript Republican candidate running more on nostalgia or "unity" rather than over ideology. Perhaps the "dot com" boom and recent terrorist attacks become Gore's proverbial "Vietnam". While it sounds terrible to say, I can see Bush, Cheney, or McCain filling this role. If I had to search outside of the usual suspects, I would say that Powell is perhaps too liberal. If we want to get creative, perhaps we imagine an alternative universe where Jim Webb pursues the 1994 Virginia Senate seat (as a Republican) and wins. In 2000, he perhaps casts himself as a throwback to Reagan and a repudiation of Bush the Elder. In pulling a "Nixon", he coopts some of Buchanan's old support with protectionist rhetoric. Meanwhile, we see a Nader candidacy taking the place of George Wallace and acting as the protest candidate for a presidency associated with free trade, deindustrialization, and internationalism. Candidate Webb plays, as Nixon did, to whatever things people want to project onto him. To the hawk, "as Secretary of the Navy, I resisted dangerous defense cuts that have led to our state of ill-preparedness"; to the doves, "What our leaders in Washington need to learn is that we cannot engage in reckless nation-building in the Balkans and the Middle East." Webb beats President Gore, Vice President Hamilton, or whomever with a plurality, taking formerly strong Democratic territory in the Midwest. In office, he is found out to be more moderate than anticipated--abortion would be an example if it weren't such a hot button issue, as in Nixon's time--and gradually pursues a disengagement with the Middle East or wherever. Of course, this would all be dependent on Webb being much better at campaigning than he was in 2016, along with other fantastical elements.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #1037 on: February 10, 2018, 10:15:11 PM »

Tacos vs Chinese food
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #1038 on: February 10, 2018, 10:39:20 PM »
« Edited: February 11, 2018, 01:57:48 AM by cookiedamage »

1990 General Election

Dems: Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-AR) and her vice-presidential nominee Sen. Bill Bradley (D-NJ), win a tight race against incumbent President Pete Wilson (R-CA) and VP Thomas Kean (R-NJ).

283 vs. 255

In 1996, President Hillary Clinton is ineligible to run for a second consecutive turn, so she will most likely run again in 2002 or later. Incumbent VP Bill Bradley wins the Democratic nomination and chooses Fmr. Gov. Jerry Brown (D-CA) as his running mate, but they lose to Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) and Gov. Jeb Bush (R-FL).

230vs.308

2002 saw a very close election, with Republican Vice President Jeb Bush winning 277 electoral votes against Fmr. Gov. Jerry Brown (D-CA). However, the Republican primary was rough, and so a good chunk of Republicans in the House and some Democrats passed a bill making not only the President, but the Vice President ineligible for two consecutive terms. It passed the GOP senate and was reluctantly signed by Bush in September.

261vs277

Fmr. Pres. Hillary Clinton (D-AR) returned to run for President in 2007 after playing an important role at the UN regarding crimes against humanity in the Kurdish War for Independence. The economy crashed in 2008 and Hillary Clinton chose Sen. Barack Obama (D-IL) as her running mate. She won the election handily, but saw previously Dem strongholds like West Virginia and Missouri slip from her grasp. Her attention shifted to states like California, Virginia, Florida, and Arizona, which used to be GOP friendly states, but had shifted leftward due to a growth of population, more diverse voting bases, and a population leaning more leftwards.

335vs.203
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1039 on: February 10, 2018, 10:57:51 PM »
« Edited: February 10, 2018, 11:08:30 PM by bagelman »

How I would vote in the 2016 primaries per state

Green - Sanders

Red - Kasich

Brown - Trump for sure

Orange - Maybe Trump, maybe not

If it weren't for GOP closed primaries DC would be red, LA orange, and FL brown. Dem closed primaries are ignored out of optimism, but they could screw me overs just like they did many others.

2008:

Gray: Obama if allowed

Sky blue: Abstain

Green: Romney
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1040 on: February 11, 2018, 06:54:21 PM »

A neoliberal "Opportunity Democrat" in the mold of Feinstien or Pelosi runs against a Republican who is Trumpist economically, unattractive to business conservatives. However, the main st. Republican wins by a single EV after a shocking victory in ME-01.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #1041 on: February 11, 2018, 07:13:44 PM »

A neoliberal "Opportunity Democrat" in the mold of Feinstien or Pelosi runs against a Republican who is Trumpist economically, unattractive to business conservatives. However, the main st. Republican wins by a single EV after a shocking victory in ME-01.

Lmao winning TX but not NM, AZ, or CO. K.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1042 on: February 11, 2018, 07:21:33 PM »
« Edited: February 11, 2018, 07:33:15 PM by bagelman »

Search interest Sanders vs. Clinton from May 2015 through June 2016.

bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1043 on: February 11, 2018, 07:23:03 PM »
« Edited: February 11, 2018, 07:32:40 PM by bagelman »

If you're going to throw shade, I'd say that you could have DEMs win UT and lose IL on top of that and it's still better than a TL with both President Hillary Clinton and Jeb Bush.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #1044 on: February 11, 2018, 07:28:23 PM »

What does Gray mean?

Also, I notice that the former Confederate States was a large cluster of more Clinton search interest (I wonder what it says about Clinton primary supporters when her strongest states were the former Confederate States), and it appears to extend into Maryland and Delaware for some reason, while not extending anywhere else.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1045 on: February 11, 2018, 07:30:31 PM »
« Edited: February 11, 2018, 07:33:46 PM by bagelman »

snip

What does Gray mean?

Also, I notice that the former Confederate States was a large cluster of more Clinton search interest (I wonder what it says about Clinton primary supporters when her strongest states were the former Confederate States), and it appears to extend into Maryland and Delaware for some reason, while not extending anywhere else.

Ties. (This is from google trends, all of the tied states were colored but I decided to make them gray)

I considered making that remark as well, always like to throw shade at Clinton, but I remembered the reason is likely a higher black population.

Oh - and DC is supposed to be absent as I couldn't see data for it, my mistake. 
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #1046 on: February 11, 2018, 07:36:58 PM »

snip

What does Gray mean?

Ties. (This is from google trends, all of the tied states were colored but I decided to make them gray)

I considered making that remark as well, always like to throw shade at Clinton, but I remembered the reason is likely a higher black population.

Oh - and DC is supposed to be absent as I couldn't see data for it, my mistake. 

I tried to replicate your trends data search, and it gave me a map where every state searched more for Sanders than Clinton?
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #1047 on: February 11, 2018, 08:01:59 PM »

If you're going to throw shade, I'd say that you could have DEMs win UT and lose IL on top of that and it's still better than a TL with both President Hillary Clinton and Jeb Bush.

Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #1048 on: February 11, 2018, 10:49:03 PM »

Narrow Roosevelt win in 1912

Prog 277
Dem 209
Rep 45
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1049 on: February 11, 2018, 11:12:00 PM »

Don't see Teddy winning all those states >40% but Wilson winning all his states <40%.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies