VA Gov 2017: Corey Stewart Openly Embraces the Confederacy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:31:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  VA Gov 2017: Corey Stewart Openly Embraces the Confederacy
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: VA Gov 2017: Corey Stewart Openly Embraces the Confederacy  (Read 1989 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 11, 2017, 11:20:23 PM »
« edited: April 11, 2017, 11:25:17 PM by Frodo »

Corey Stewart appears to be openly embracing the neo-Confederates within the Republican Party:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This is what happens when southern whites become the base of your party.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 11:27:21 PM »

I don't discount the possibility of a Stewart upset in the primary.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 01:38:19 AM »
« Edited: April 12, 2017, 01:57:05 AM by Tartarus Sauce »

“I’m proud to be next to the Confederate flag,” said Stewart, a Minnesota native and chairman of the Prince William Board of County Supervisors. “That flag is not about racism, folks. It’s not about hatred. It’s not about slavery. It’s about our heritage. … It’s time that we stop running away from our heritage. It’s time that we embrace it.

Neo-Confederate icon worship is a textbook example of a failure to acknowledge the entirety of one's heritage in favor of a white washed and romanticized myth that's completely tone deaf to the seedier underbelly of our national history. If Southerners really want to lay claim to their "heritage," they need to embrace every part of it, warts and all. I do the same for the the U.S. as a whole, I love this country and its history, but this country has a dark side to its past that must be recognized. Southerners must do the same if they wish to come to terms with the mistakes of their ancestors, which many have so far failed to do.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 06:34:44 AM »

“I’m proud to be next to the Confederate flag,” said Stewart, a Minnesota native and chairman of the Prince William Board of County Supervisors. “That flag is not about racism, folks. It’s not about hatred. It’s not about slavery. It’s about our heritage. … It’s time that we stop running away from our heritage. It’s time that we embrace it.

Neo-Confederate icon worship is a textbook example of a failure to acknowledge the entirety of one's heritage in favor of a white washed and romanticized myth that's completely tone deaf to the seedier underbelly of our national history. If Southerners really want to lay claim to their "heritage," they need to embrace every part of it, warts and all. I do the same for the the U.S. as a whole, I love this country and its history, but this country has a dark side to its past that must be recognized. Southerners must do the same if they wish to come to terms with the mistakes of their ancestors, which many have so far failed to do.
It's hard to generalize Southerners as doing this, I feel that only the neo-Confederate, "Gone With the Wind" types don't recognize the darkness of Southern history. Most Southerners, myself included, love and appreciate Southern history in all of its facets .
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 07:51:15 AM »

Naturally, he would do that. To add to that, this is done every cycle at the Shad planking event, more so in the past http://www.styleweekly.com/richmond/why-virginias-decades-old-shad-planking-is-getting-a-political-reboot/Content?oid=2323071

I really think that people outside of VA really think that it's just one big NoVA. Once you go south of PW County or east of Richmond/Midlothian you're basically in Dixie-lite.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 07:56:57 AM »

Reminds me of George Allen and Ted Turner having a grand old time in Gods and Generals to the BBF https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVeSKwM--1M

Stewart would fit right in.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 09:39:36 AM »

I don't discount the possibility of a Stewart upset in the primary.
If that's the case we can expect a double-digit Perriello victory.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 10:54:42 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

lmbo
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 11:25:12 AM »

Naturally, he would do that. To add to that, this is done every cycle at the Shad planking event, more so in the past http://www.styleweekly.com/richmond/why-virginias-decades-old-shad-planking-is-getting-a-political-reboot/Content?oid=2323071

I really think that people outside of VA really think that it's just one big NoVA. Once you go south of PW County or east of Richmond/Midlothian you're basically in Dixie-lite.

I actually find the perceptions of VA to the be the reverse, actually. I have heard people in DC say Virginia as a whole is "too southern." Also when I mention my trips to Richmond, people seem quite surprised that Virginia has a capital with culture, major business, etc. Corey Stewart's racist antics are actually somewhat in line with what northeasterners imagine Virginia to be like, sadly.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 11:52:40 AM »

I get actual Southerners who had family fight for the CSA honoring their past (despicablr as it was) but northerners fetishizing the Confederacy drives me up a wall
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2017, 03:11:08 PM »

Corey Stewart is an embarrassment to Virginians, and he's also a carpetbagger.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2017, 03:12:14 PM »

I feel like this is a carpetbagger trying to prove he's a "real Virginian" and failing miserably. Like a carpetbagger to Maine trying to down Moxie in front of people.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2017, 03:48:45 PM »

Pretty ironic how Corey Stewart, the guy who called one of his opponents a "cuckservative," is a Northerner idolizing the Confederacy. Little projection, maybe?
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2017, 04:08:19 PM »

If Stewart somehow wins the primary, the General is Safe D. It's only a competitive GE if Gillespie wins the primary.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2017, 04:52:47 PM »

If Stewart somehow wins the primary, the General is Safe D. It's only a competitive GE if Gillespie wins the primary.
Agreed. It won't even be close if Stewart is the nominee.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2017, 05:34:12 PM »

I feel like this is a carpetbagger trying to prove he's a "real Virginian" and failing miserably. Like a carpetbagger to Maine trying to down Moxie in front of people.

He really badly wants to be like his """""cool""""" big brother Donald Trump. He is quite the poser.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2017, 06:06:09 PM »

Both parties have tribal racial bases. I don't like it. See some sections of southern Democratic parties today, it's nearly all-black. The Virginia Republicans will rue the day if Stewart is the GOP gubernatorial nominee, but would suburban white Virginia voters vote for Perriello, who may be too liberal for Virginia?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2017, 07:46:41 PM »

I actually find the perceptions of VA to the be the reverse, actually. I have heard people in DC say Virginia as a whole is "too southern." Also when I mention my trips to Richmond, people seem quite surprised that Virginia has a capital with culture, major business, etc. Corey Stewart's racist antics are actually somewhat in line with what northeasterners imagine Virginia to be like, sadly.

A lot of Virginians would find the idea that NoVA or NJ have culture to be surprising as well.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2017, 08:21:41 PM »

A lot of Virginians would find the idea that NoVA or NJ have culture to be surprising as well.

^ this. NoVA vs. ReVA continues.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2017, 04:53:30 PM »

The least controversial thing is promising not to take down the statues of FF Robert E. Lee.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies