Cuomo gets free college up to $125K, NY 1st state to do so.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:17:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Cuomo gets free college up to $125K, NY 1st state to do so.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Cuomo gets free college up to $125K, NY 1st state to do so.  (Read 2076 times)
henster
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 07, 2017, 08:22:06 PM »

He certainly gets bragging rights if he runs in 2020.

https://twitter.com/melissadderosa/status/850516318193430528
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 08:25:14 PM »

Let's see what the deal looks like, and let's see if it passes in the state legislature.

If it's a good bill and it passes, then he gets to brag.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 08:32:41 PM »

Somehow Cuomo has accumulated quite the record of legislative accomplishments, even with a hostile legislature.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 09:22:42 PM »

I am totally fine with him pretending to be a progressive if it actual results in progressive things getting done.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 10:09:42 PM »

The poor were mostly paying fees and not tuition anyways, since TAP covers up to 90% of tuition but 0% of fees. So this doesn't do much for the poor.
MM876
Rookie
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 12:11:24 AM »
« Edited: April 09, 2017, 01:36:56 AM by MM876 »

How progressive does he have to pretend to be before he accidentally turns himself into a progressive?

Credit where credit is due, though, if I'm not missing something this is a good step on his part. I hate to admit it, but if he keeps this up I'll keep an open mind for 2020. There's always the possibility he pulls an LBJ and for some crazy reason goes from HP to FF.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 12:28:50 AM »

Can Cuomo get Carbon Taxes & legalize Marijuana to pretend to boost his progressive credentials?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2017, 10:43:31 AM »

The poor were mostly paying fees and not tuition anyways, since TAP covers up to 90% of tuition but 0% of fees. So this doesn't do much for the poor.
Oh, boo hoo. Some people will never be satisfied until we have full blown Communism.
Rjjr77
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2017, 11:04:05 AM »

It's not free, someone has to pay for it.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2017, 11:15:09 AM »

Pretty weird & ignorant post. When you talk about something being free, you talk about it being free or costing nothing from the perspective of the consumer/buyer.

That is kind of basic & you don't really need a Phd to know what the term "free" means or are people gonna come up with ridiculous new definitions to justify such posts?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2017, 11:16:48 AM »

Pretty weird & ignorant post. When you talk about something being free, you talk about it being free or costing nothing from the perspective of the consumer/buyer.

That is kind of basic & you don't really need a Phd to know what the term "free" means or are people gonna come up with ridiculous new definitions to justify such posts?

He is not wrong in general terms, though.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2017, 11:18:14 AM »

Can Cuomo get Carbon Taxes & legalize Marijuana to pretend to boost his progressive credentials?

Yes, sell yourselves smartly to the Wall Street wing of the Democratic Party, squeeze every penny. Tongue If they hate/are scared enough of Trump, they will pay any price for the Democratic Party.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2017, 11:24:57 AM »

He is totally wrong & is absolutely absurd about this. How can something not be free if it costs 0 $ to the user or consumer?

That is what the definition of free is - How much is charged from the user or how much the user is paying (0 $ in this case).

Can't believe this has to be argued with educated people !

Rjjr77
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2017, 11:33:17 AM »

I'd sit here and write the lengthy essay on everything from opportunity cost to what free truly means, but it would just get ignored by shadows, which is why I ignore his posts and so should you.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2017, 11:45:35 AM »

deep imo
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2017, 11:56:03 AM »

He is totally wrong & is absolutely absurd about this. How can something not be free if it costs 0 $ to the user or consumer?

That is what the definition of free is - How much is charged from the user or how much the user is paying (0 $ in this case).

In business, there is something call OTP or "Other People's Money". Donald Trump thrived off of it.

Nothing is free. It is paid for by you, or someone pays the equivalent costs for you, which is called third party payer or other people's money.

Nothing is free. The teachers are getting paid, the building is being maintained etc. There is a per unit cost for every student, so no, it is not "free" to send anyone to college. "It is free only to extent that someone else is picking up the tab.

I went to college on pell grants, I have no problem with helping those who cannot afford college. But at no point did I consider what I was getting "free".  I considered it a subsidized education at taxpayer expense for the betterment of society and I maintained a 4.0 average every semester until I graduated.

You may consider that "free" because it is not coming out of your pocket, but I must say that is a very irresponsible narrative that will encourage people to slack off because they are not paying for it themselves, when they should be doing the exact opposite and working harder because they been given an opportunity.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2017, 12:29:36 PM »

In business, there is something call OTP or "Other People's Money". Donald Trump thrived off of it.

Nothing is free. It is paid for by you, or someone pays the equivalent costs for you, which is called third party payer or other people's money.

Nothing is free. The teachers are getting paid, the building is being maintained etc. There is a per unit cost for every student, so no, it is not "free" to send anyone to college. "It is free only to extent that someone else is picking up the tab.

I went to college on pell grants, I have no problem with helping those who cannot afford college. But at no point did I consider what I was getting "free".  I considered it a subsidized education at taxpayer expense for the betterment of society and I maintained a 4.0 average every semester until I graduated.

You may consider that "free" because it is not coming out of your pocket, but I must say that is a very irresponsible narrative that will encourage people to slack off because they are not paying for it themselves, when they should be doing the exact opposite and working harder because they been given an opportunity.

I find it baffling how educated people don't know that the term free means it costs nothing to the buyer or consumer.

Whether you pay 100% of the cost of your fees, whether you pay 100% of the cost of your fees + some profits for the institution to make, whether you pay say 50% of your fees + State funding, is absolutely irrelevant here & is a different discussion. Saying somethings is free or costs 0$ doesn't mean it now takes magically 0$ to manufacture that good or create that service.

The Tuition free college argument has already been debated to death here - I don't want to derail the thread again - Some of the points were K-12 education 50 years ago is equivalent to a College Degree now, Importance of having an educated workforce to compete globally, most good jobs requiring a College Degree instead of K-12, massive debt creating an economic bubble, massive debt bringing down demand for goods,services & depressing GDP, high debt not allowing some people to go to college or preventing people from doing jobs they like etc which are economic losses too.

If you want to have a discussion on the usefulness of Tuition Free college, you have another thread & discuss your ideas. But to call something which costs 0$ to the consumer not free is ridiculous & frankly ignorant & is only biased ideology speaking & not the truth !
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2017, 03:43:09 PM »

I find it baffling how educated people don't know that the term free means it costs nothing to the buyer or consumer.

Whether you pay 100% of the cost of your fees, whether you pay 100% of the cost of your fees + some profits for the institution to make, whether you pay say 50% of your fees + State funding, is absolutely irrelevant here & is a different discussion. Saying somethings is free or costs 0$ doesn't mean it now takes magically 0$ to manufacture that good or create that service.

The Tuition free college argument has already been debated to death here - I don't want to derail the thread again - Some of the points were K-12 education 50 years ago is equivalent to a College Degree now, Importance of having an educated workforce to compete globally, most good jobs requiring a College Degree instead of K-12, massive debt creating an economic bubble, massive debt bringing down demand for goods,services & depressing GDP, high debt not allowing some people to go to college or preventing people from doing jobs they like etc which are economic losses too.

If you want to have a discussion on the usefulness of Tuition Free college, you have another thread & discuss your ideas. But to call something which costs 0$ to the consumer not free is ridiculous & frankly ignorant & is only biased ideology speaking & not the truth !

It is free for the consumer yes but it still costs something to produce it. It's not as if nobody has to pay for it. Making it free for one person just means shifting the cost to a different person. I would think an educated person would be able to understand the point that they are trying to make..
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2017, 03:58:08 PM »

At this rate, Progressives should just keep electing Cuomos as NY Governors and wait for them to want to run for President Tongue Soon enough, New York will become the most Progressive state in the union.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2017, 04:20:45 PM »

It is free for the consumer yes but it still costs something to produce it. It's not as if nobody has to pay for it. Making it free for one person just means shifting the cost to a different person. I would think an educated person would be able to understand the point that they are trying to make..

This is why I am more in favor of a guarantee that you will never have to worry about spending more than 5 or 10% of household income on health care or education (at near median income levels, perhaps rising slowly from 1% for the poorest families to 20% for those making >$250K) rather than making it outright free.  Better to ask people to front the small stuff to discourage misuse and cover catastrophe/amazing opportunity in full.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2017, 04:59:27 PM »

This is why I am more in favor of a guarantee that you will never have to worry about spending more than 5 or 10% of household income on health care or education (at near median income levels, perhaps rising slowly from 1% for the poorest families to 20% for those making >$250K) rather than making it outright free.  Better to ask people to front the small stuff to discourage misuse and cover catastrophe/amazing opportunity in full.

Means testing is dumb. Free-at-pont-of-access for everyone, funded by progressive income tax is the the only way.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2017, 05:11:32 PM »

Someone has to pay for the free college, but it sounds good. However, someone has to pay for it. Also, hopefully the students graduate on time, less remedial classes (which waste $$$$$ and doesn't add to credits), and graduates with some major that is useful in the 21st century American workforce.

Underestimate Cuomo at your own peril. I think Cuomo and Warren are high-risk, medium reward candidates.

A Cuomo/Warren ticket would unite the Democratic Party, adding to that, reinforcing the party as a Northern, liberal party if they aren't any Southerners or Midwesterners to choose.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2017, 05:49:19 PM »

Oh, boo hoo. Some people will never be satisfied until we have full blown Communism.

These are mandatory fees that aren't really that different than tuition, except that New York state doesn't have any financial aid to cover them. California does.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2017, 06:02:27 PM »

There is no such thing as a free lunch - or free college tuition, or free healthcare or free anything.  Somebody has to pay for it. 

If you still don't understand, Google Milton Friedman.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2017, 07:03:52 PM »

Everyone understands that tax money will be necessary to fund this. No one is denying that. Why are you acting like they are?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies