Will Trump bomb Assad?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:13:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Will Trump bomb Assad?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Poll
Question: Will Trump bomb the Assad regime in Syria?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 44

Author Topic: Will Trump bomb Assad?  (Read 3702 times)
Helsinkian
Finland

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 06, 2017, 02:46:47 PM »

Will Trump take direct military action against the Assad regime after the latest chemical weapons attack?
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 02:47:35 PM »

Reading Twitter, the alt-right seems to be strongly against that.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 02:47:54 PM »

Seems like its getting there.
kelestian
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: 1.48

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 02:49:51 PM »

How can he do that, without Russian permission (as when Israel bombs Hezbollah commanders in Syria)?
Fusionmunster

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 02:50:28 PM »

How can he do that, without Russian permission (as when Israel bombs Hezbollah commanders in Syria)?

We dont need Russian permission.
I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 02:56:38 PM »

But Golden Shower!
kelestian
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 02:57:06 PM »

There are russian anti-air systems, as you know. So Trump can
a) start the WW3
b) bomb some Assad objects with Russian permission, as Israel
c) bomb Deir-ez-Zor and help ISIS to seize the city
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 02:59:14 PM »

Or he can just use cruise missiles instead of planes.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 03:03:03 PM »

No, but I do expect him to take us to "the red line" like Obama did, only to back down under pressure from the base. CNN is acting like they did the day we went into Libya. I hope Trump's gut instincts are stronger than those of his advisers, because he knew in 2013 that this doesn't justify an intervention and I pray he knows it now.

I'm embarrassed, for the first time, about this administration's handling of this. Just a few days ago, the "official policy" according to Tillerson and Trump was to retain Assad in power. Now they want to go in and overthrow him. I didn't vote for this. I'm also unrepentant in my belief that Assad would have been gone thirty days ago and American troops would be dying by the hundreds had Hillary had won.

Foreign policy wise, we might not be having it as good as I've thought. Fortunately illegal entry to the United States is at a record low, the economy is continuing to improve, and NAFTA, TPP, and the refugee policies have generally been successful.

I say we let Putin handle this. Put the whole mess in his lap. "You did this, you fix this" sorta deal. He won't, but it'll send a message to Putin.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2017, 03:03:53 PM »

Do you want a nuclear confrontation?
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2017, 03:05:48 PM »

I think military action against Assad is likelier than military action against NK, honestly. Per what I've read, the talk re: Syria is military whereas on NK Trump and co. are exploring tougher sanctions a la the Iran sanctions regime
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2017, 03:06:21 PM »

If Russia nuked us over Assad, Russia would cease to exist. Putins not that stupid.
I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2017, 03:08:15 PM »

I think military action against Assad is likelier than military action against NK, honestly. Per what I've read, the talk re: Syria is military whereas on NK Trump and co. are exploring tougher sanctions a la the Iran sanctions regime

There are Russian troops in Syria. You probably already knew. Just in case you didn't.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2017, 03:10:34 PM »

Yeah I don't get why North Korea is suddenly such a big scary threat when everything they've done is the same as what they've always done.

If Russia nuked us over Assad, Russia would cease to exist. Putins not that stupid.
So a handful of dead Syrians is worth one detonation in Manhattan and the obliteration of Russia (and probably the world)?

There is no guarantee that a war between America and Russia breaking out in the Mediterranean would remain conventional. Putin isn't crazy, but nuclear weapons aren't used Hiroshima style. He'd be willing to use a battlefield nuke (as Trump should be willing too), and I suspect that Trump's temperament and the media drumbeat alike would result in a disproportionate response by our side anyway.

All of this because you lost an election to him.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2017, 03:13:32 PM »

No but we're not a Russian vassal state either.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2017, 03:15:15 PM »

So, to prove to Russia that we are not a vassal (hint: we aren't), we should risk a confrontation between two superpowers who endanger the world with every inch they move towards conflict?
kelestian
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2017, 03:19:36 PM »

Just a simple question, did Syrian government allow US troops and airforces come to Syrian soil?
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2017, 03:20:12 PM »

Reading Twitter, the alt-right seems to be strongly against that.

Too late. Trump is Paul Ryan's puppet now.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2017, 03:20:57 PM »

Just a simple question, did Syrian government allow US troops and airforces come to Syrian soil?

Simple question back, when does the world have a responsibility to act when a leaders starts gassing his own people?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2017, 03:21:41 PM »

Simple question back, when does the world have a responsibility to act when a leaders starts gassing his own people?
They don't. Only the Syrian people do. And the Syrian rebels are worse than Assad anyway.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2017, 03:22:44 PM »

They don't. Only the Syrian people do. And the Syrian rebels are worse than Assad anyway.

Thats a heartless way of thinking.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2017, 03:24:04 PM »

Assad has no legitimacy as the Syrian government. The world has a responsibility to stop the murder of innocent civilians. I don't think ground troops should be sent to Syria, but I think a Libya-style intervention would be in order. At the very least, safe zones and a no-fly zone should be formed to protect civilians from Assad's brutality.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2017, 03:24:55 PM »

He is cucked by them so no.

Nihilism is fun.

Assad has no legitimacy as the Syrian government. The world has a responsibility to stop the murder of innocent civilians. I don't think ground troops should be sent to Syria, but I think a Libya-style intervention would be in order. At the very least, safe zones and a no-fly zone should be formed to protect civilians from Assad's brutality.
I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2017, 03:25:25 PM »

LOL, USA:s bombings in March caused more civil victims (including children) than Assad's possible chemical attack.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2017, 03:26:36 PM »

wouldn't the guy who killed the most people and owns the most deadly weapons and uses those weapons not be the worst by default?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies