Juncker threatens US with supporting secession movements
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:35:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Juncker threatens US with supporting secession movements
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Juncker threatens US with supporting secession movements  (Read 591 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 31, 2017, 01:10:54 PM »

The story here.
You must be logged in to read this quote.

This could have gone in either US or Int'l General Discussion, but I decided to put it here. Not sure if Juncker is serious here or trolling, but it amused me greatly.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 01:15:32 PM »

juncker is famous for his dry humour.

pretty clear, if you look at the quote.

and yeah...trump should mind his own business and not try to damage allies.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 01:17:45 PM »

and yeah...trump should mind his own business and not try to damage allies.

But that's the whole reason why Putin made him president...
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 01:18:11 PM »

Juncker is famous for his skilled trolling

ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 02:26:31 PM »

Since the thread is here.....fanboy-mode: THIS is europe.

https://mobile.twitter.com/FolktalesEU/status/846283235319599106/video/1
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 04:51:29 PM »

Trump should take Junker seriously and respond by having Tillerson and others make a formal diplomatic protest. Of course, he knows nothing about diplomacy, so he probably just tweet about it, but this is a pretty serious breach of diplomatic norms and we'd be perfectly justified in responding to it as such.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 04:53:16 PM »

Juncker should be glad about Brexit because it has brought the rest of the EU that much closer together.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2017, 01:03:54 PM »

a revealing statement of how Juncker views himself and the EU in regard to its member countries.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2017, 08:19:18 PM »

May have been a joke but Juncker is a joke himself.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2017, 09:47:24 PM »

I doubt Trump minds; nothing like the walking caricature of condescending European cosmopolitan to make his way into our news.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2017, 09:52:37 PM »

i am baffled, how so many here are able to feel outraged about juncker's dry humour but trump's much more real endorsement of EU destruction is a legitimate sentiment? condescending doesn't nearly cut it.

🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2017, 10:08:35 PM »

Shine on you crazy drunk man. Smiley I hate him and most Eurocrats, but it is funny how much he triggers the UKIPpers.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2017, 10:24:20 PM »

i am baffled, how so many here are able to feel outraged about juncker's dry humour but trump's much more real endorsement of EU destruction is a legitimate sentiment? condescending doesn't nearly cut it.

Oh, no one cares enough to be outraged. It's a mixture of amusement and eyerolling for the small number of people who heard this news. Perhaps Juncker looks different from your side of the Atlantic but from this side he comes across as a power-hungry bureaucrat who lost a little bit of control.

More broadly, from the American perspective, the very idea of something like the EU is something we could never view any better than a kind of cautious, distant support. A deep suspicion of any movement toward a one-world government is something deeply embedded in our culture and has been since our nation's beginnings.

Most Americans also have something of a caricature, rightly or wrongly, of Europeans being condescending progressives, now with an unhinged hatred of Trump to boot. For instance last fall my roommate (who voted for Hillary) went over to Germany and came back telling me that trip was the only time the entire campaign where he was seriously considering voting for Trump. Somehow Americans view the EU also a sort of personification of that type of arrogance.

No one really likes being told by people in other countries what the right answer is within their own national politics. I understand Trump did that to Britain when he voiced an opinion of Brexit, and Britain would have every right to be outraged. I think most Americans understand that well enough that apart from the most outspoken Trump supporters no one else is really going to defend him opining on the matter. But since Americans more or less view Europe as so overwhelmingly hackish in favor of the Democrats, even legitimate criticisms of Trump from Europe will fall pretty much entirely on deaf ears over here.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2017, 11:07:39 PM »

Oh, no one cares enough to be outraged. It's a mixture of amusement and eyerolling for the small number of people who heard this news. Perhaps Juncker looks different from your side of the Atlantic but from this side he comes across as a power-hungry bureaucrat who lost a little bit of control.

More broadly, from the American perspective, the very idea of something like the EU is something we could never view any better than a kind of cautious, distant support. A deep suspicion of any movement toward a one-world government is something deeply embedded in our culture and has been since our nation's beginnings.

Most Americans also have something of a caricature, rightly or wrongly, of Europeans being condescending progressives, now with an unhinged hatred of Trump to boot. For instance last fall my roommate (who voted for Hillary) went over to Germany and came back telling me that trip was the only time the entire campaign where he was seriously considering voting for Trump. Somehow Americans view the EU also a sort of personification of that type of arrogance.

No one really likes being told by people in other countries what the right answer is within their own national politics. I understand Trump did that to Britain when he voiced an opinion of Brexit, and Britain would have every right to be outraged. I think most Americans understand that well enough that apart from the most outspoken Trump supporters no one else is really going to defend him opining on the matter. But since Americans more or less view Europe as so overwhelmingly hackish in favor of the Democrats, even legitimate criticisms of Trump from Europe will fall pretty much entirely on deaf ears over here.

I concur
Rjjr77
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2017, 11:54:03 PM »

The story here.
You must be logged in to read this quote.

This could have gone in either US or Int'l General Discussion, but I decided to put it here. Not sure if Juncker is serious here or trolling, but it amused me greatly.

Yawn, they should worry about the ticking time-bomb that is the Euro.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies