TX-SEN: True to Form
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 01:19:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  TX-SEN: True to Form
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 ... 68
Author Topic: TX-SEN: True to Form  (Read 160319 times)
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1200 on: September 25, 2018, 07:59:16 PM »

LOL

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ted-cruz-spotted-on-flight-looking-at-photo-of-senate-rival-beto-orourke_us_5baa2ed3e4b0375f8fa06f76
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1201 on: September 25, 2018, 07:59:57 PM »

Given that Cruz is a clear Yes vote on Kavanaugh, does this shore up the MAGA base, or erode his support with independents and blow up the female vote?
Female republicans have already shown they dont care.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #1202 on: September 26, 2018, 01:47:52 PM »

Cruz could lose

Texas sets voter registration record, with 1.6 million new voters since 2014

You must be logged in to read this quote.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1203 on: September 27, 2018, 06:15:12 AM »

He will likely be upsetted now.

Unless conservative groups are helping to register voters. 
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1204 on: September 27, 2018, 01:08:06 PM »

https://www.texastribune.org/2018/09/27/beto-orourke-ted-cruz-president-2020-senate-race-texas/
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #1205 on: September 27, 2018, 03:23:40 PM »

Why would Cruz even say this? There's almost no chance he runs in 2020, and if he does, there will have to had been such a huge political development that he could easily explain away this comment.
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #1206 on: September 27, 2018, 04:37:22 PM »

Why would Cruz even say this? There's almost no chance he runs in 2020, and if he does, there will have to had been such a huge political development that he could easily explain away this comment.

Maybe he's been lined up to succeed Sessions? Just a thought.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1207 on: September 27, 2018, 09:03:30 PM »

If he is going to primary Trump, he's throwing his whole career down the toilet.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #1208 on: September 28, 2018, 02:14:23 PM »

Masterdebator Cruz cancels debate with O Rourke

Ted Cruz cancels second debate with Beto O’Rourke. Chooses to remain in Washington.

Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #1209 on: September 28, 2018, 02:36:09 PM »

Sounds like it was to be a townhall debate. O'Rourke should turn up regardless. Leave out an empty chair for Cruz. He deserves to be called out for hiding from his constituents amidst the Kavanaugh mess
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1210 on: September 28, 2018, 05:55:34 PM »

He is on the judiciary committee. Him staying in Washington to see Kavanaugh's story through to the end makes sense.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1211 on: September 28, 2018, 06:19:46 PM »

The weekend Senate session has been canceled, so Cruz could actually do the debate on Sunday.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1212 on: September 28, 2018, 06:52:39 PM »

First TV ad I've seen for Beto or Ted, this one for Beto.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1213 on: September 28, 2018, 07:14:40 PM »

I watch too much football or TV News. Seen one here in Houston saying Beto doesn't care about Harvey victims (he voted against one measure, leaving out that he voted for one).
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1214 on: September 28, 2018, 08:51:49 PM »

I watch too much football or TV News. Seen one here in Houston saying Beto doesn't care about Harvey victims (he voted against one measure, leaving out that he voted for one).

Cruz too voted against such a measure before.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1215 on: September 28, 2018, 11:39:36 PM »

Cruz too voted against such a measure before.

Beto should make an attack ad regarding that. Boom. Save some Houston area votes.
GreatTailedGrackle
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.55, S: -8.78

« Reply #1216 on: September 29, 2018, 04:25:58 PM »

I don't like O'Rourke.  For one thing, he reminds me of Ted Kennedy (one of the four Democrats from my home state whose name I practically use as a profanity), and his having a drunk driving accident which he tried to flee doesn't help with that.  For another thing, there are plenty of issues where I agree with liberal Democrats and on which a Senate candidate should have a position; so when I contacted his campaign for positions on those issues trying to persuade myself to vote for him and it turned out he had no position on them, I felt that he is either evasive or unprofessional. 

Then finally, he advocated banning AR-15s, and that was the straw that I thought decided me for Dikeman.   Now, I am quite moderate on gun control: I support background checks and high-capacity magazine bans and don't believe the Second Amendment protects an individual right to firearms, and think Wayne LaPierre is a horrible excuse for a human being.  But whenever a Democrat proposes banning one of the most popular firearms, and one which is not an outsized contributor to gun deaths, because it was used in one high-profile shooting and no one technically "needs" one, it tells me that they have not made even the slightest effort to understand gun culture.  And this makes me wonder if O'Rourke is going to be any better about trying to understand people who disagree with him than Cruz is: I feel like the answer to that question is probably "no."

The Kavanaugh hearings, however, have persuaded me that I need to vote for O'Rourke; I've finally come around to George Will's argument that Trump and his cadre of enablers need to be defeated no matter what.  Now, I don't know how many people like me there are: I am atypical of a Texas voter, and probably even atypical of a college-educated white Texas voter who moved here from a blue state: I suspect that most people who hated Cruz and normally vote were planning on voting for O'Rourke anyways.  But I am sure that there are a lot of people who are as jaded as I was and dealt with it by staying home.  I sincerely hope that the Kavanaugh hearings might have jolted enough of them out of complacency to make a difference.

I also remember with both Massachusetts in 2010 and Alabama in 2017, being sure that the state was going to elect an absolutely appalling canddiate because they had the right letter next to their name.  In both 2010 and 2017, I was pleasantly surprised.  I wouldn't say that Cruz himself is as personally reprehensible as Coakley or Moore, but in seeking to promote Kavanaugh he is attempting to install a nakedly partisan conspiracy theorist, shameless perjurer, and probable sexual predator to a lifetime position far more powerful than a mere Senate seat.  Texas isn't as red as Alabama, nor as red as Massachusetts is blue, and the polls have had Cruz only very slightly ahead.  I am therefore cautiously optimistic that the Kavanaugh hearings will lend Texas voters enough moral clarity to evict Cruz from his seat.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1217 on: September 29, 2018, 04:30:56 PM »

I don't like O'Rourke.  For one thing, he reminds me of Ted Kennedy (one of the four Democrats from my home state whose name I practically use as a profanity), and his having a drunk driving accident which he tried to flee doesn't help with that.  For another thing, there are plenty of issues where I agree with liberal Democrats and on which a Senate candidate should have a position; so when I contacted his campaign for positions on those issues trying to persuade myself to vote for him and it turned out he had no position on them, I felt that he is either evasive or unprofessional. 

Then finally, he advocated banning AR-15s, and that was the straw that I thought decided me for Dikeman.   Now, I am quite moderate on gun control: I support background checks and high-capacity magazine bans and don't believe the Second Amendment protects an individual right to firearms, and think Wayne LaPierre is a horrible excuse for a human being.  But whenever a Democrat proposes banning one of the most popular firearms, and one which is not an outsized contributor to gun deaths, because it was used in one high-profile shooting and no one technically "needs" one, it tells me that they have not made even the slightest effort to understand gun culture.  And this makes me wonder if O'Rourke is going to be any better about trying to understand people who disagree with him than Cruz is: I feel like the answer to that question is probably "no."

The Kavanaugh hearings, however, have persuaded me that I need to vote for O'Rourke; I've finally come around to George Will's argument that Trump and his cadre of enablers need to be defeated no matter what.  Now, I don't know how many people like me there are: I am atypical of a Texas voter, and probably even atypical of a college-educated white Texas voter who moved here from a blue state: I suspect that most people who hated Cruz and normally vote were planning on voting for O'Rourke anyways.  But I am sure that there are a lot of people who are as jaded as I was and dealt with it by staying home.  I sincerely hope that the Kavanaugh hearings might have jolted enough of them out of complacency to make a difference.

I also remember with both Massachusetts in 2010 and Alabama in 2017, being sure that the state was going to elect an absolutely appalling canddiate because they had the right letter next to their name.  In both 2010 and 2017, I was pleasantly surprised.  I wouldn't say that Cruz himself is as personally reprehensible as Coakley or Moore, but in seeking to promote Kavanaugh he is attempting to install a nakedly partisan conspiracy theorist, shameless perjurer, and probable sexual predator to a lifetime position far more powerful than a mere Senate seat.  Texas isn't as red as Alabama, nor as red as Massachusetts is blue, and the polls have had Cruz only very slightly ahead.  I am therefore cautiously optimistic that the Kavanaugh hearings will lend Texas voters enough moral clarity to evict Cruz from his seat.

Welcome to the forum!  I hope you'll contribute many more posts of this quality.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #1218 on: September 29, 2018, 04:31:29 PM »

The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1219 on: September 29, 2018, 05:59:50 PM »

Maybe he's been lined up to succeed Sessions? Just a thought.

Cruz being delusional enough to think that he could get AG (or the next SCOTUS vacancy?) is just about the only way he'd plan on leaving before his term was up, but it's insane to say it out loud because Trump is not someone inclined to take these things that way and might well take it as a signal that Cruz plans to primary him.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1220 on: September 30, 2018, 01:10:26 PM »

Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1221 on: September 30, 2018, 02:27:02 PM »

Look at all that empty grass with people not sitting in it.

And probably half these people aren't eligible to vote. Ok, perhaps more like a third:

CherokeeDem
UnbakedCake
Rookie

« Reply #1222 on: October 01, 2018, 08:48:23 AM »

( I can't comment on a post with a link so this is a reply to Virginiá)
 Sweet Jesus. I don't see how anyone is delusional enough to not give Beto a real chance. He seems to be doing a lot of Electorate Expanding like Obama in the Iowa caucus.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1223 on: October 01, 2018, 08:51:18 AM »

Unfair. This new poster has been nothing but quality since he joined.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #1224 on: October 01, 2018, 08:58:50 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 ... 68  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies