What German coalition would you prefer?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:22:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  What German coalition would you prefer?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
Grand (black-red)

Grand (red-black)

Traffic Light (red-yellow-green)

Leftist (red-red-green)

Jamaica (black-green-yellow)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 56

Author Topic: What German coalition would you prefer?  (Read 867 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 28, 2017, 10:39:19 AM »

I excluded coalitions I find mathematically unlikely like red-green, black-yellow or any majority governments; and assume the AfD and CDU have to much bad blood to join in a coalition. The difference between the first two is that option 1 would keep Merkel as Chancellor, option 2 would bring in Schulz.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 11:45:08 AM »

CDU/CSU-FDP-Greens probably is the best option but if red-red-green means Merkel will be replaced by an actual conservative (FLAWLESS BEAUTIFUL JENS SPAHN) who will win in 2021 I'm all for it.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 11:47:46 AM »

Option 1
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 11:53:05 AM »

CDU/CSU-FDP-Greens probably is the best option but if red-red-green means Merkel will be replaced by an actual conservative (FLAWLESS BEAUTIFUL JENS SPAHN) who will win in 2021 I'm all for it.

Considering that Merkel is a conservative, and bar one issue, one of the most right-wing economically and conservative in Europe, I really fail to understand the concept that Merkel isn't a conservative.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 11:54:04 AM »

1) Traffic Light (red-yellow-green)
2) Leftist (red-red-green)

3) Grand (red-black)

4) Grand (black-red)
5) Jamaica (black-green-yellow)
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 11:57:42 AM »

1. Red-Red-Green
2. Red-Yellow-Green

3. Red-Black

4. Black-Red
5. Black-Green-Yellow
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 12:04:25 PM »

Traffic - i am not fan of coalitions with putinistas.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 12:06:45 PM »

Considering that Merkel is a conservative, and bar one issue, one of the most right-wing economically and conservative in Europe, I really fail to understand the concept that Merkel isn't a conservative.

While she did force extreme austerity on countries like Greece (and I probably agree with you on the fact that it was too extreme) her record in Germany isn't that right-wing. She is regarded as one of the more moderate CDU politicians.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 12:14:44 PM »

Jamaica is very bad but still the lesser of numerous evils, followed by a continuation of the grand coalition led by Merkel. But all are truly piss-poor options.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 12:37:34 PM »

Jamaica. CDU/CSU-FDP-Greens is very close to my dream circumstances.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 12:37:56 PM »

how did CDU become black?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 12:57:57 PM »

Black-red is probably narrowly superior to Jamaica, if only because I suspect Jamaica would lead to the decimation of the Greens and FDP to the benefit of the main parties and fringe parties, while the Greens/FDP and so forth can try to grow and take advantage of opportunities in opposition to black-red. Jamaica might be slightly better policy-wise but even that is a crapshoot, honestly. Black-red it is.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 12:59:50 PM »

I haven't been following German politics:  Is it actually feasible nowadays that the Greens would ever be in a coalition with the Christian Democrats but NOT the Social Democrats?!?
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2017, 01:01:16 PM »

Jamaica, I guess.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2017, 01:05:11 PM »

While she did force extreme austerity on countries like Greece (and I probably agree with you on the fact that it was too extreme) her record in Germany isn't that right-wing. She is regarded as one of the more moderate CDU politicians.

she is the most progressive chancellor which german did ever have.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2017, 01:05:37 PM »

Traffic light out of these options.

I want to get the conservatives out of government; but the Left Party is divided against itsself and irresponsible on fiscal, economic and foreign policy. A so called Traffic light coalition is socially liberal, pragmatic on economic issues and very pro-EU. I also like the idea of a Social Democratic government with a streak of classical liberalism (FDP) like reducing bureaucracy.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2017, 01:06:24 PM »

[1] red-red-green (will likely be voting linke)
[2] red-yellow-green
[3] black-yellow-green
[4] red-black
[5] black-red
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2017, 01:10:01 PM »

It's always been their traditional colour; black was the colour of the old Zentrum that the CDU mostly emerged out of after the War. Because of the associations with political Catholicism they aren't always massively keen on it themselves. It's quite common to depict them on e.g. election maps in a blue though, and of course the CSU's colour is always blue.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2017, 01:29:06 PM »
« Edited: March 28, 2017, 01:30:59 PM by President Johnson »

I haven't been following German politics:  Is it actually feasible nowadays that the Greens would ever be in a coalition with the Christian Democrats but NOT the Social Democrats?!?

Merkel would have done it in 2013, but CSU was - and still is - against it. Maybe that's possible once the refugee crisis has ceased. The CDU and Greens already govern in two larger states: Hesse (since 2013) and my native of Baden-Württemberg (since 2016 with the Greens as senior coalition partner). It also depends on the leading figures in both parties.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2017, 04:53:57 PM »
« Edited: March 28, 2017, 05:06:48 PM by Chairman (with limited role) of the 2020 Trump campaign »

I haven't been following German politics:  Is it actually feasible nowadays that the Greens would ever be in a coalition with the Christian Democrats but NOT the Social Democrats?!?

Jamaica is certainly difficult to put into practice (mainly due to the aforementioned CSU/Green friction), but not entirely impossible.

However, I'd estimate that it would be require both Red-Red-Green and Traffic light either not getting a majority (while Jamaica does) or coalition talks between those parties having broken down first (while talks for Jamaica don't).

At the end of the day, forming a coalition with both CSU and FDP at the same time would be a pretty bitter pill to swallow for the Greens. A coalition between CDU and Greens alone - like it is done on the state-level right now - is much more feasible. Chances for Jamaica will probably higher if the Greens have a stronger election result than CSU and FDP and hence are in a stronger position within the government.

So, there are big question marks, but it's not completely impossible under the right circumstances.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2017, 06:13:13 PM »

Out of these, 1.  Black and Yellow is my preference however.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2017, 06:43:55 PM »

Jamaica. CDU/CSU-FDP-Greens is very close to my dream circumstances.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2017, 06:51:15 PM »

Since she ran on a thatcherite agenda in 05', and in 09-13, when not in a coalition with the FDP she was quite right-wing economically, then she'd moderate her agenda when in coalition with the SPD.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2017, 06:56:54 PM »

Since she ran on a thatcherite agenda in 05', and in 09-13, when not in a coalition with the FDP she was quite right-wing economically, then she'd moderate her agenda when in coalition with the SPD.

she ran as a super-thatcherite in 2005, nearly lost once again and then decided to kill her ideological feelings.

i agree that there is much too hate about her economical policies as a leftist, but otherwise i think she is pretty great.

and to be totally fair, her etatist finance minister schäuble - besides scewing greece - prevented the liberal FDP from gutting the state finances and blocked them from changing anything at all until the party got crushed by enemies and supporters in 2013.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2017, 08:26:07 PM »

1. Leftist
2. Traffic Light

3. Schulz Edition Grand Coalition

4. Merkel's Berkle of a Grand Coalition