HOUSE RESOLUTION: Resolution for Freedom and Democracy in Turkey (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:17:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HOUSE RESOLUTION: Resolution for Freedom and Democracy in Turkey (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: HOUSE RESOLUTION: Resolution for Freedom and Democracy in Turkey (Failed)  (Read 1475 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 27, 2017, 02:46:06 AM »
« edited: April 13, 2017, 11:49:50 AM by People's Speaker North Carolina Yankee »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Atlasian People's House of Representatives
pending
[/quote]

Sponsor: Simossad
House Designation: HR 1100
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 02:48:00 AM »

The sponsor has 24 hours to begin advocating for this, lest it be "suppressed". Tongue
Representative simossad
simossad
Germany

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 11:14:56 AM »

Thank you Mr. Speaker for bringing this bill to the floor.

This resolution is an answer to the anti-democratic and reactionist development in the Republic of Turkey under President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan. The discussion about the upcoming constutitional referendum, that basically abolishes the seperation of powers and makes President Erdoğan an instance that controls the government, the parliament and the judicial power, is again a proof of his understanding of democracy. Erdoğan, who has originally been a friend of the west due to his initial pro-democratic, his pro-international understanding and his pro-secularization stances, has evolved to a radical and authoritarian leader whose only goal is to centralize as much power as possible in his own person.

Achieving the object involves for Mr. Erdoğan a fight against critical journalists, who have been imprisoned by hundreds. It involves the open fight against the pro-kurdish opposition party HDP whose leaders have been arrested on fallacious grounds. And it involves hatred, populism and martial rhetoric against European countries that have acted peacefully and totally acceptable.

The Republic of Atlasia has to speak against these practices, we have to be the defender of those who have suffered under the authoritarian rule of President Erdoğan. Turkey needs to be the democratic and secular country that it used to be. It was our closest majority-muslim ally in the past, and it can be again if the international community starts to act. That's what this resolution is about.

One segment in this bill is obviously wrong and I immediately offer an amendment.

pending

Sponsor: Simossad
House Designation: HR 1100
[/quote]
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 12:00:19 PM »

I like the bill with the amendment.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 12:00:06 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
pending
[/quote]

Sponsor Feedback: Origination
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 02:57:46 AM »

The Amendment has been adopted.

OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 05:56:13 AM »

I like the bill with the amendment.
Representative simossad
simossad
Germany

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 03:09:24 PM »

Any comments on this?
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 09:59:49 PM »

Turkey = Nato Member and a key part of those fighting ISIS, I think the Kurds should have their own nation and that Turkey should stop being bad on that front, but it would be geopolitical suicide to cut off all arms exports to them
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2017, 10:02:28 PM »

I think that, while what is said is true, this resolution is unnecessary antagonism of a nation that holds a key strategic position in the Middle East. While getting all of those things done would be nice, the reality is that it's unlikely to actually happen, and as such I don't see what this resolution will accomplish other than pissing someone off. It's also important to note that Russia has been palling around with these guys lately as part of their plan to become a regional player in the Middle East, and a condemnation of this sort may drive them closer together.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2017, 09:59:05 AM »

The amendment has been adopted.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2017, 10:04:46 AM »

I think that, while what is said is true, this resolution is unnecessary antagonism of a nation that holds a key strategic position in the Middle East. While getting all of those things done would be nice, the reality is that it's unlikely to actually happen, and as such I don't see what this resolution will accomplish other than pissing someone off. It's also important to note that Russia has been palling around with these guys lately as part of their plan to become a regional player in the Middle East, and a condemnation of this sort may drive them closer together.

One thing I can say from our experience early this year, and you certainly understand this, is that Turkey is one hell of a tricky situation and one that makes easy answers rather difficult. Considering their recent behavior, I would certainly be very cautious about any actions we take, the likely way it is perceived and how they would react in response. And most importantly, particularly for those who are most concern about what the Russians are doing and how best to combat that. I would certainly advise to look at the matter from the perspective of Putin and ask yourself, "how best can I manipulate this situation to our/my advantage". Coming to understand such, is probably the best way to approach any matter directly or indirectly tied to Russia.

One thing I would note, is that previously in Atlasia, it was always so easy to pass foreign policy matters on a whim and rarely if ever were the consequences born out by the GM, who was either inactive, busy with other stories, or for various reasons not inclined towards realistic consequences. So far, I think we have done much better in that regards, and while it makes life more difficult for the President, Secretary of State, and also legislators in circumstances such as these, I think it adds to the game significantly, when such are more often matters of consequence and realistic ones at that.
Representative simossad
simossad
Germany

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2017, 02:50:37 PM »

The Republic of Atlasia has to take a stance. If we maintain the status quo, we are are legitimizing the actions of President Erdogan towards the press and the political opposition in Turkey. We cannot have the self-image of a freedom and democracy loving country while tolerating the imprisonments of hundrets of journalists and politicians and the erosion of the Turkish democracy by a constitutional reform which was introduced by an authoritarian leader who lacks the understanding of basic fundamental human rights.

History has shown us that appeasement policy tends to fail. In addition to that, Turkey's fight against Isis is hypocritical and has nothing to do with a joint ideological motivation that is shared by the other NATO members. The Turkish government condemns terrorism only if Turkey is in danger. But for Erdogan, the concept of terrorism itself is not wrong, considering his ties to the radical and barbaric armed Palestinian militia Hamas.

This is an unacceptable state, and the Republic of Atlasia should do everything that lies in its competences to alter this horrible situation.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2017, 04:14:49 AM »
« Edited: April 06, 2017, 04:16:22 AM by People's Speaker North Carolina Yankee »

So where are we on this?

Like I said, I understand the need to take a stand on moral questions regarding any given situation overseas, but it is vital to take into considering the impact on the region and other factors involved that could be affected like in this case, Russia and ISIS, which are just as problematic.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2017, 08:34:36 AM »

If I see no further action soon, I am going to have to open a final vote.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2017, 04:21:00 AM »

A final vote is now open on the underlying legislation, Representatives please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2017, 04:43:49 AM »

NAY

While I do support the message this bill would send, it's a bad move.
Representative simossad
simossad
Germany

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2017, 06:44:25 AM »

Aye.

This is a resolution for the sake of human rights and democratic standards and a dissolution of a bogus marriage with an "ally" whose actions against terrorism are hypocritical and selective and who has exploited the backing by the Atlasian government and the NATO to legitimize its actions against political opposition groups and ethnic minorities rather than being a reliable partner in the fight against daesh.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2017, 09:09:03 AM »

Nay

Like Ted said and as I said in my previous post, I support the message that this sends, but I cannot sign off on a statement such as this in the context of the complex geopolitical situation and our national interests in the area.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2017, 09:09:52 AM »

This has one day left.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2017, 04:16:47 PM »

Abstain.

On one hand, Turkey should be condemned, and we shouldn't be complacent with their human rights violations. Then again, it is a very delicate situation, and this could hurt it.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2017, 06:32:48 PM »

Abstain
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2017, 11:49:22 AM »

Vote on Final Passage of the Resolution for Freedom and Democracy in Turkey

Aye (1): Simossad
Nay (2): NC Yankee and Ted
Abstain (2): Enduro and OneJ_

Didn't Vote (4): Drew, Heisenberg, Peebs and Potus.

The Resolution has been rejected.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies