Neil Gorsuch Confirmation Process Discussion (confirmed 54-45)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:48:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Neil Gorsuch Confirmation Process Discussion (confirmed 54-45)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30
Author Topic: Neil Gorsuch Confirmation Process Discussion (confirmed 54-45)  (Read 56143 times)
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #625 on: April 06, 2017, 02:47:35 PM »

Let's now put 10 20-something year-old judges on the Court who will be willing to not only overturn Roe v. Wade, but also say that all first-degree murder laws apply to the killing of babies nationwide.  Ending abortion is more important than our system of government itself.  I'm serious!
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #626 on: April 06, 2017, 02:48:21 PM »

Let's now put 10 20-something year-old judges on the Court who will be willing to not only overturn Roe v. Wade, but also say that all first-degree murder laws apply to the killing of babies nationwide.  Ending abortion is more important than our system of government itself.  I'm serious!

Go away
Fusionmunster

« Reply #627 on: April 06, 2017, 02:49:14 PM »

ew.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #628 on: April 06, 2017, 02:50:04 PM »

Hangers are for hanging up clothes not back alley medical procedures sir.

elcorazon

« Reply #629 on: April 06, 2017, 02:55:51 PM »

Alot of lefties on twitter and Reddit seem to be really freaking out over this but im not sure why. The filibuster has been abused to point that it lost its purpose. That means its best for the health of our representative republic to get rid of it. If the healthcare bill failing is proof of anything, even partisanship fails when a proposal is bad enough, and thats the way it should be. I hope the legislative filibuster goes next.
I think it's because we have a complete wackjob in the oval office who is being led around by the nose by the extreme far right and we have republican majorities in both houses of Congress who are unwilling to oversee him. The Court is the one area that can possibly reign in his power, and now he has stolen a seat on the Supreme Court and likely will have a tremendous impact on it's future for decades. The additional impact on repressing the vote will make it even more difficult for democrats to get the majorities they need to slow the destruction of our liberties and our country.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #630 on: April 06, 2017, 02:57:44 PM »

Let's now put 10 20-something year-old judges on the Court who will be willing to not only overturn Roe v. Wade, but also say that all first-degree murder laws apply to the killing of babies nationwide.  Ending abortion is more important than our system of government itself.  I'm serious!

Ten?  But there are only nine seats!

Sorry!  Your understanding of the Court is about as good as your understanding of chicken eggs.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #631 on: April 06, 2017, 02:58:28 PM »

Alot of lefties on twitter and Reddit seem to be really freaking out over this but im not sure why. The filibuster has been abused to point that it lost its purpose. That means its best for the health of our representative republic to get rid of it. If the healthcare bill failing is proof of anything, even partisanship fails when a proposal is bad enough, and thats the way it should be. I hope the legislative filibuster goes next.

You have the luxury of assuming Congress will never pass anything you deem "bad enough", lucky you but not all of us are in that position.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #632 on: April 06, 2017, 02:58:51 PM »

the nationalist right is imho atm on the way out, if i judge the writing on the wall the "right" way - breitbart is so pissed, the wrote 4 hit-pieces on jared on 1 day.

https://twitter.com/christinawilkie/status/850009029502009348
Trapsy

« Reply #633 on: April 06, 2017, 02:59:35 PM »

oh word?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #634 on: April 06, 2017, 02:59:54 PM »

I'd volunteer.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #635 on: April 06, 2017, 03:02:13 PM »

Hot Take:

The filibuster is stupid and I'm glad it's dead.

If the Dems win control of the Senate they should kill it for legislation as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHQLQ1Rc_Js
Fusionmunster

« Reply #636 on: April 06, 2017, 03:12:37 PM »

You have the luxury of assuming Congress will never pass anything you deem "bad enough", lucky you but not all of us are in that position.

Well yeah, but I dont consider republicans to be evil cartoon villains so...
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #637 on: April 06, 2017, 03:14:02 PM »

I hope your right, but I don't have the confidence you do. Again, lucky you.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #638 on: April 06, 2017, 03:15:12 PM »
« Edited: April 06, 2017, 03:20:04 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/death-and-politics-did-a-vicious-campaign-drive-a-candidate-to-suicide-20160226
https://thinkprogress.org/marco-rubio-champions-for-profit-colleges-in-his-education-agenda-but-wont-mention-them-by-name-1b8b18bae6d7
https://thinkprogress.org/iowa-minimum-wage-paid-sick-leave-preemption-44168f0a223
http://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/marcus-bachmann-defends-ex-gay-therapy-at-controversial-clinic/
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #639 on: April 06, 2017, 03:15:32 PM »

lmbo
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #640 on: April 06, 2017, 03:24:41 PM »

Let's now put 10 20-something year-old judges on the Court who will be willing to not only overturn Roe v. Wade, but also say that all first-degree murder laws apply to the killing of babies nationwide.  Ending abortion is more important than our system of government itself.  I'm serious!

Ten?  But there are only nine seats!

Sorry!  Your understanding of the Court is about as good as your understanding of chicken eggs.

Nothing says there has to be nine.  If we appoint ten more right now, those ten can be so conservative that they can overrule the other nine (Clarence Thomas would look like RBG next to these hypothetical ten).
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #641 on: April 06, 2017, 03:59:49 PM »

Trump plz drone
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #642 on: April 06, 2017, 04:05:10 PM »

I hope no one thinks that there are any Republican moderates in the Senate.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #643 on: April 06, 2017, 04:10:00 PM »

This is precisely why our strategy should be "When they go low, we go lower."
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #644 on: April 06, 2017, 06:04:45 PM »

What an outrageously stupid and dangerous thing to say.
rafta_rafta

« Reply #645 on: April 06, 2017, 07:03:12 PM »

delete your account
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #646 on: April 06, 2017, 08:07:54 PM »

Not a single Republican defection? That's a bit worrying.

Good to see the filibuster go, though. "Retaliation" will be sweet.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #647 on: April 06, 2017, 08:34:45 PM »

This probably sounds dumb, but it's something that's been on my mind recently.  Does anyone else get the feeling that Gorsuch being from Colorado will make him more likely to side with the states in the event the feds try to go after pot legalization?
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #648 on: April 06, 2017, 09:21:26 PM »

Final vote expect at around 11:30 am est tomorrow.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/06/politics/senate-nuclear-option-neil-gorsuch/index.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #649 on: April 06, 2017, 10:21:59 PM »

This probably sounds dumb, but it's something that's been on my mind recently.  Does anyone else get the feeling that Gorsuch being from Colorado will make him more likely to side with the states in the event the feds try to go after pot legalization?
No, but his stance against deferring to the executive branch on interpreting laws and regulations could.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies