Russia deploying forces in Libya, Egypt... how will Trump respond?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:57:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Russia deploying forces in Libya, Egypt... how will Trump respond?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Russia deploying forces in Libya, Egypt... how will Trump respond?  (Read 2416 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 14, 2017, 12:00:54 AM »

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-russia-libya-exclusive-idUSKBN16K2RY

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/14/russian-special-forces-deployed-in-egypt-near-libyan-border-report

How will Trump respond to this?
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 12:08:58 AM »

If campaign Trump was real = he is going to approve

If not...he is going to understand that this is another hard strike against US interests and a final nail against the new Libyan consensus.

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 12:10:47 AM »

CIA needs to start deploying some car bombs.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 12:30:36 AM »

About the only thing the U.S. could reasonably do would be to apply a carrot or a stick to Egypt to get them to no longer allow the little green men to make use of their facilities. Since Trump is willing to do the unreasonable, he has several more options available to him, but I doubt groveling unto Putin would accomplish much.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 12:45:27 AM »

He won't. He's not interested.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 01:45:38 AM »

One question - Libya's and Egypt's goverments adopted this deployment??? If so - what questions may be???
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 05:09:54 AM »

Trump would probably surrender to Moscow for $100.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 05:36:26 AM »

Trump would probably surrender to Moscow for $100.

We will think whether price is too high))))
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 06:33:50 AM »

One question - Libya's and Egypt's goverments adopted this deployment??? If so - what questions may be???

Libya barely even has a government, and Sisi wants to have an arms dealer with even less scruples than the west.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 06:49:51 AM »

Hopefully not with a war or conflict.
I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 07:14:13 AM »

Obama broke Libya (Iraq, Afghanistan, Yemen and Syria). Let Russians fix it Undecided
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 08:08:33 AM »

Libya barely even has a government, and Sisi wants to have an arms dealer with even less scruples than the west.

As weak as they are - they are recognized by UN AFAIK, and thus have every right to invite anybody (including Russians) without asking for US permission.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2017, 08:33:49 AM »

libya's what?

smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2017, 08:36:42 AM »

libya's what?

Whatever is recognized as Libyan government by UN..
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2017, 08:39:09 AM »

libya's what?

Whatever is recognized as Libyan government by UN..

since haftar is more or less the biggest enemy of tripolis, this would surprise me.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2017, 11:11:27 AM »

As weak as they are - they are recognized by UN AFAIK, and thus have every right to invite anybody (including Russians) without asking for US permission.

What matters here is that Russia is an enemy nation; arguably one of the major threats (although obviously not the greatest, even if Putin likes to pretend that this is the case) to American interests abroad.  Furthermore, Putin's efforts to undermine American confidence in the democratic process by actively aiding the campaign of a kleptocratic, mentally unstable, compulsively dishonest, egomanical bigot and all-around manchild represented not just an foreign attack upon one of America's most scared institutions, but an enemy attack upon the American way of life and so much of what makes this country great.  

While not a traditional declaration of war, that's exactly what the Putin regime's actions during the 2016 election were: a declaration of war upon America's values and institutions.  Every patriotic American should be outraged and appalled by Russia's actions which explains why Donald Trump was fine with it (I mean let's be honest here, Trump and his family are many things, but patriots ain't one of them; Trump is a parasite who sees the Presidency as nothing more than a chance for his own personal enrichment and he wouldn't know civic duty if it punched him in the face).  The Russian interference in the 2016 election – regardless of whether or not it changed the outcome – should be treated as an enemy nation passing the point of no return.

The U.S. should make it clear to Sisi that if he wants to continue to enjoy the level of support and aide that the Egyptian government has traditionally received from the U.S. (with the obvious exception of Morsi's regime) then they need to tell any Russian forces, military advisors, etc to get out of Egypt immediately and stay out.  The fact is that Sisi's regeime still needs us more than they need you (even Morsi essentially did everything but wet himself in public when Obama made it clear in 2012 that the U.S. did not consider his government to be an ally, IIRC).  If Egypt still refused to essentially tell Russia to get lost, it would suggest that the Egyptian military has forgotten where their bread is buttered and requires a harsh enough reminder to ensure that they don't forget again any time soon.  Actions have consequences, after all.  I suppose a carrot could be offered first, but either way, any Russian military presence (even in an advisory role) in Egypt is completely unacceptable and should be dealt with accordingly.  To be fair, Libya is a bit more difficult, but the Russian forces and/or military advisors in Egypt should be a very easy fix.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2017, 11:27:43 AM »

Sadly this. I'm nobody's idea of a Russia apologist on this forum but Libya (and Egypt) are free to entertain friendships with whomever they please.

That said, whether the USA should maintain the current level of support for these two regimes if they cozy up to Moscow is a different question entirely
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2017, 12:34:32 PM »

2 things.

1) as i pointed out, while egypt would be totally able to do so, it is questionable if tripolis of all powers would invite the russians, which are of a mind to support haftar who is after all, since the destruction of libyan ISIS, Tripolis' biggest foe.

2) both the egyptians and the russians are denying there are any russians - official or mercenaries - inside of egypt or libya.

same story as last year? same story as every year.

smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2017, 12:36:46 PM »

What matters here is that Russia is an enemy nation; arguably one of the major threats (although obviously not the greatest, even if Putin likes to pretend that this is the case) to American interests abroad.  

Don't forget - i am of Russian origin and right now - live in Russia (because of family reasons). I will answer in one phrase: we are not REALLY an enemies of the US, but if you want us to be one - we will oblige.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2017, 12:41:51 PM »

Don't forget - i am of Russian origin and right now - live in Russia (because of family reasons). I will answer in one phrase: we are not REALLY an enemies of the US, but if you want us to be one - we will oblige.

the russian people are never ever an enemy of anyone but the russian government is an enemy of the european way of life and pushes hard against liberalism in the classical and the modern way.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2017, 12:47:08 PM »
« Edited: March 14, 2017, 12:49:04 PM by smoltchanov »

the russian people are never ever an enemy of anyone but the russian government is an enemy of the european way of life and pushes hard against liberalism in the classical and the modern way.

That's true. But right now that government has a support of majority of "common russian people" (the people like me are rather an exception, not the rule). This is a sad fact, but it's a fact. And it's not a thing that could be (or will be) corrected in one day.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2017, 12:51:51 PM »

That's true. But right now that government has a support of majority of "common russian people" (the people like me are rather an exception, not the rule). This is a sad fact, but it's a fact. And it's not a thing that could be (or will be) corrected in one day.

Can't argue with that, good sir.

Well, i was more optimistic when medwedew was "playing" the president....words can be very powerful...and i am going to be more optimistic again when Mister Putin is gone.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2017, 01:21:53 PM »

Can't argue with that, good sir.

Well, i was more optimistic when medwedew was "playing" the president....words can be very powerful...and i am going to be more optimistic again when Mister Putin is gone.

Well, Medwedew is a lightweight and political clown. Putin is ... well, a "son of KGB": distrustful of the West, but (sadly) neither a lightweight nor a clown. What will happen most likely? Putin's reelection in 2018 (i never voted for him and have no intention of doing so) and then - grooming of successor, who may be either better (like Kudrin, whom i see as an ideal candidate for Prime Minister for now) or worse (like defence minister Shoigu). Relations with the West will be cool for now, but, most likely will VERY slowly improve later on.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2017, 02:06:45 PM »

If the brutal maniacs want to play together the west should let them. But the west should make clear that we approve of none of them, and especially drop support for Sisi (Russia or no Russia) who is one of the most despicable leaders on earth.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2017, 02:18:36 PM »

This.  When I say Russia is an enemy nation, I'm referring to the Putin regime.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies