IN-SEN: Brains or Braun?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 03:49:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IN-SEN: Brains or Braun?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 25
Author Topic: IN-SEN: Brains or Braun?  (Read 69384 times)
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #425 on: September 05, 2018, 08:50:22 PM »
« edited: September 05, 2018, 09:57:05 PM by Atlas Force »

So easily defeating two people who spent the entire primary tearing each other down wasn’t really a sign of political strength after all, huh?
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #426 on: September 05, 2018, 09:02:16 PM »

I guess the INGOP was so scared sh**tless after the Mourdock fiasco that they decided to go from being too brash and flamboyant to being too uninspiring and boring.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #427 on: September 05, 2018, 09:49:00 PM »

I guess the INGOP was so scared sh**tless after the Mourdock fiasco that they decided to go from being too brash and flamboyant to being too uninspiring and boring.

It surprises me (in a pleasant way) that Donnelly is leading by such a margin in this latest poll. He could very well end up winning with a percentage similar to that of 2012. If this poll is anywhere near the truth, then he is in a better position than either Heitkamp or Nelson at this point, and possibly McCaskill as well. Tester and Manchin are the two safest Romney-state Democrats still, though.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #428 on: September 05, 2018, 11:23:03 PM »

Lmao

Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #429 on: September 05, 2018, 11:42:54 PM »

Why do the Libertarians often do so well in Indiana? I scoffed at the Lib candidate getting 8% in this poll. But I noticed they've gotten over 5% in each of the last three IN Senate races.  So it's not totally implausible.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #430 on: September 05, 2018, 11:54:59 PM »

Why do the Libertarians often do so well in Indiana? I scoffed at the Lib candidate getting 8% in this poll. But I noticed they've gotten over 5% in each of the last three IN Senate races.  So it's not totally implausible.

This is a good question. Indiana isn't exactly a state you'd expect to be libertarian friendly, but they consistently do oddly well in the Senate races there. It also seems confined to the Senate races for some reason, they usually get a much lower number in the gubernatorial races.

Maybe our resident Indiana libertarian can answer this? Tongue
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #431 on: September 06, 2018, 01:18:30 AM »

Lmao

Savage
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #432 on: September 06, 2018, 11:02:11 AM »

Why do the Libertarians often do so well in Indiana? I scoffed at the Lib candidate getting 8% in this poll. But I noticed they've gotten over 5% in each of the last three IN Senate races.  So it's not totally implausible.

This is a good question. Indiana isn't exactly a state you'd expect to be libertarian friendly, but they consistently do oddly well in the Senate races there. It also seems confined to the Senate races for some reason, they usually get a much lower number in the gubernatorial races.

Maybe our resident Indiana libertarian can answer this? Tongue
The Indiana Libertarian Party has a very strong presence on social media, and they tend to do very well with outreach given their limited funds as a third party.  The candidates they run don't tend to be the pot-smoking anarchist types who make videos in their underwear talking about how seatbelt laws are equivalent to Hitler or Jim Crow.  I mean, you have SOME like that, but IN libertarians for the most part tend to articulate the Party's message very well.  The INLP candidate for Secretary of State, for example, is a casual friend of mine.  He's a retired attorney from a mid-sized Downtown Indianapolis law firm.  Very far removed from the libertarian stereotype.

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #433 on: September 06, 2018, 08:16:32 PM »

So easily defeating two people who spent the entire primary tearing each other down wasn’t really a sign of political strength after all, huh?
Lognog
United States

« Reply #434 on: September 10, 2018, 12:43:37 PM »

Old Man Willow
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #435 on: September 11, 2018, 04:39:44 PM »

I was shocked seeing the Donnelly ad touting him helping Trump build the wall. I mean, I understand IN is a conservative state and he'll need a lot of Trump supporters, so touting his support for tougher border security and whatnot makes sense. But it's likely to be a close race and he'll need the support of IN's liberals and minorities, however small that community is. Seems risky to be proudly associating himself with what has become a symbol of Trump's racism to so many on the left.
TheRocketRaccoon
Singapore

« Reply #436 on: September 19, 2018, 07:53:14 AM »

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/gop-frets-about-prospects-for-picking-up-indiana-senate-seat

HIGH QUALITY CANDIDATE MIKE BRAUN
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #437 on: September 19, 2018, 08:26:17 AM »

I thought that Donnelly would be the most threatened D incumbent back in the summer- but as the article points out both the Kock Network, and the Chamber of Commerce haven't invested in this race (both groups put millions in IN-SEN '16)

Braun's two best assets were his outside experience, and his ability to self-fund. Yet he hasn't spend any money, so he can't really boost about the first.

windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #438 on: September 19, 2018, 08:32:08 AM »

I mean, Donnelly is a good candidate. He was tied in the polls before the mourdock gaffe after all. He was lucky when he made this rape comment but Donnelly is definitely a good candidate, he fits well this state. A state where Trump isn't particularly popular.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #439 on: September 19, 2018, 09:48:29 PM »

Braun BTFO

Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #440 on: September 26, 2018, 12:43:29 AM »

Richard Lugar is refusing to endorse in this race calls both candidates able and having good campaigns
https://fox59.com/2018/09/25/former-sen-richard-lugar-wont-endorse-braun-or-donnelly-in-u-s-senate-race/
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #441 on: September 26, 2018, 01:31:52 AM »

Dang, didn't he endorse Mourdock in 2012?
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #442 on: September 28, 2018, 10:47:13 AM »

Donnelly is a NAY on Kavanaugh.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #443 on: September 28, 2018, 10:54:48 AM »

Yikes, this gives Braun an opening. Conservatives love their rapists. Dems just get them kicked out of the Senate.
Senator Richard Mourdock says hi.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #444 on: September 28, 2018, 10:59:28 AM »

Nobody actually changes their vote solely because of a Supreme Court confirmation vote. Most Americans can't even name a single SCOTUS judge after all.

The only people who care about SCOTUS picks are those very plugged in, and the very plugged in tend to be very partisan.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #445 on: September 28, 2018, 11:01:50 AM »

Nobody actually changes their vote solely because of a Supreme Court confirmation vote. Most Americans can't even name a single SCOTUS judge after all.

The only people who care about SCOTUS picks are those very plugged in, and the very plugged in tend to be very partisan.

Probably true - but Kavanaugh's confirmation has been percolating outside the usual sphere of political junkies, for obvious reasons.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #446 on: September 28, 2018, 11:02:10 AM »

For those who think that voting Nay will screw over Donnelly, I refer to the polling done by Pew Research that shows that Ds care more about the nomination, and the Trafalgar poll, which, while poor, does show that Donnelly preforms better when he votes Nay. And this was done BEFORE the Sexual Allegations.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #447 on: September 28, 2018, 11:03:31 AM »

Probably true - but Kavanaugh's confirmation has been percolating outside the usual sphere of political junkies, for obvious reasons.

Yeah, and it's not exactly something that is benefiting Republicans given that he is the least popular Supreme Court nominee in history. In fact, I'm pretty sure Kavanaugh is the only SCOTUS nominee to ever have negative net favorability.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #448 on: September 28, 2018, 11:05:44 AM »

The Donelly vote could drive some GOP voters to the polls. This definitely doesn't help him. While the hurt will be minimal, minimal matters in a tossup race.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #449 on: September 28, 2018, 11:06:55 AM »

The Donelly vote could drive some GOP voters to the polls. This definitely doesn't help him. While the hurt will be minimal, minimal matters in a tossup race.
It will also light up the suburban women and minorities who might have been agnostic about Donnelly or even voting in the mid-term at all.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 25  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies