IN-SEN: Brains or Braun?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:44:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IN-SEN: Brains or Braun?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 25
Author Topic: IN-SEN: Brains or Braun?  (Read 68441 times)
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: May 01, 2018, 10:57:56 PM »

Easily the nastiest primary in the country. Pure toss-up.

Yep.

Also - welcome! Smiley
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #276 on: May 01, 2018, 11:50:52 PM »

Well, so much for Braun making this a real race.
Hoosier_Nick
Nicholas_Roberts
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.03, S: -7.22

« Reply #277 on: May 02, 2018, 09:37:22 AM »

Still thinking that Braun pulls this off. It'll probably be something like the previous prediction said, about 40-35-25. I really, really hope Rokita wins.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #278 on: May 02, 2018, 10:13:57 AM »

The IN GOP giving the MO GOP a run for its money, lol.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #279 on: May 02, 2018, 10:47:55 AM »

That's definitely not going to do Braun in, in a primary or general. A lot of voters like the idea of having a "businessman" in power, and care little to nothing about the history and dealings of said "businessman." But let's dispel with the fiction that Braun is the "reasonable" candidate in the race.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #280 on: May 02, 2018, 10:55:01 AM »

That's definitely not going to do Braun in, in a primary or general. A lot of voters like the idea of having a "businessman" in power, and care little to nothing about the history and dealings of said "businessman." But let's dispel with the fiction that Braun is the "reasonable" candidate in the race.

Barack Obama circa 2012 would disagree

Hillary Clinton and the losers of the Republican primary in 2016 wouldn't, though.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #281 on: May 02, 2018, 11:51:43 AM »
« Edited: May 02, 2018, 11:57:29 AM by StateBoiler »

Are we going to hold from now on every single business owner, government manager, etc. worldwide responsible for every single decision of their Human Resources Department? Just asking for future reference. There's a level of micromanagement required to do that that no one that actually works in the real world wants or expects.

Everyone on this thread, apply this to your own work. You're seriously blaming your CEO and actually think he did the deed? If you think that, maybe in a couple cases that's the truth, but for the rest, I know never to take your opinion on this board seriously again because you're either being contrarian on purpose, so you're lying, or you're ignorant, which isn't a good outcome for you either.

That said, "honorable businessman" is a cliche and Braun is bigging it up better than it is, but calling out a business owner of a company with thousands of employees over the firing of one employee, you're just not an educated person if you think Mike Braun personally looked at the employee's record, called someone up, and said "fire him".
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #282 on: May 02, 2018, 11:57:31 AM »

Like I said, I don’t think this is some kind of knockout against Braun, as some seem to think, but they are unhelpful headlines. We’ll see next Tuesday, I guess
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #283 on: May 02, 2018, 12:37:23 PM »

Are we going to hold from now on every single business owner, government manager, etc. worldwide responsible for every single decision of their Human Resources Department? Just asking for future reference. There's a level of micromanagement required to do that that no one that actually works in the real world wants or expects.

Everyone on this thread, apply this to your own work. You're seriously blaming your CEO and actually think he did the deed? If you think that, maybe in a couple cases that's the truth, but for the rest, I know never to take your opinion on this board seriously again because you're either being contrarian on purpose, so you're lying, or you're ignorant, which isn't a good outcome for you either.

That said, "honorable businessman" is a cliche and Braun is bigging it up better than it is, but calling out a business owner of a company with thousands of employees over the firing of one employee, you're just not an educated person if you think Mike Braun personally looked at the employee's record, called someone up, and said "fire him".

The article suggests that there was much more than one troublesome incident. While it's true that you can't always blame management, when a pattern, such as overtime violations, is noticeable, the management is either responsible or being negligent of the problem. My point was that people are too quick to see "businessman" and think positively of a candidate, and this is problematic to say the least.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #284 on: May 02, 2018, 01:38:59 PM »
« Edited: May 02, 2018, 02:00:33 PM by StateBoiler »

The article suggests that there was much more than one troublesome incident. While it's true that you can't always blame management, when a pattern, such as overtime violations, is noticeable, the management is either responsible or being negligent of the problem. My point was that people are too quick to see "businessman" and think positively of a candidate, and this is problematic to say the least.

My father worked for the Defense Department his entire life. Under your line of thinking, every problem or pattern of problems he experienced, of which they were many, the management - government appointees which were appointed by appointees of the appointed Secretary of Defense who was nominated by the President - were to blame for these problems occurring, which fell on Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, and Barack Obama (retired before Trump took office) in a combination of responsibility and negligence on all their parts for not having their appointed Secretary of Defense handle all these problems.

The reason people think highly of "businessman" in the current climate is because it's normally an executive position where you either get stuff done or your company will fall apart and die. If the businessman is a bad businessman, all his employees go on government aid or take a job that doesn't pay as well, and all local government units - counties, cities, states, school boards - have less tax income to take care of their duties. It's a good line compared to two non-practicing attorneys - a profession where people argue one way or another based on who is paying them - that are congressmen when most Americans think Congress accomplishes nothing. And I might even vote for Messer, but that's the honest truth.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #285 on: May 02, 2018, 02:00:06 PM »

My father worked for the Defense Department his entire life. Under your line of thinking, every problem or pattern of problems he experienced, of which they were many, the management - government appointees which were appointed by appointees of the appointed Secretary of Defense who was nominated by the President - were to blame for these problems occurring, which fell on Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, and Barack Obama (retired before Trump took office) in a combination of responsibility and negligence on all their parts for not having their appointed Secretary of Defense handle all these problems.

The reason people think highly of "businessman" in the current climate is because it's normally an executive position where you either get stuff done or your company will fall apart and die. If the businessman is a bad businessman, all his employees go on government aid or take a job that doesn't pay as well, and all local government units - counties, cities, states, school boards - have less tax income to take care of their duties. It's a good line compared to two non-practicing attorneys - a profession where people argue one way or another based on who is paying them - that are congressmen when most Americans think Congress accomplishes nothing. And I might even vote for Messer, but that's the honest truth.

Except that the president does not "own" the state department in the same way that a CEO owns a company. My point is not that CEOs bear all of the responsibility, but when there are patterns of problems/negligence that happen under your watch, you can't deflect all o the responsibility and call yourself a "good businessman".

As for the bolded part, the fact is, many who tout themselves as businessmen do get things done... at the expense of their employees. Often businesses cut corners for the sake of making more profit with little regard for their workers. I'm tired of them being seen as good businessmen because their company ended up with a strong bottom line.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #286 on: May 02, 2018, 02:00:21 PM »

Thought you were a Braun guy, StateBoiler?
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #287 on: May 02, 2018, 02:16:39 PM »

Except that the president does not "own" the state department in the same way that a CEO owns a company. My point is not that CEOs bear all of the responsibility, but when there are patterns of problems/negligence that happen under your watch, you can't deflect all o the responsibility and call yourself a "good businessman".

Yes, because from working in the real world, I and everyone else knows that the underlings make sure the CEO and the Board of Directors know absolutely everything...

So when there are patterns of problems/negligence that happen in a cabinet department, why do people attack the president? (That's true for whichever party is in the White House. Since I've reached adulthood, I could cite multiple examples for the last 3 presidents.)

You're having your cake and eating it too a bit in your attempt at this argument. You want to push argument A, you have to either accept the corollary to that or withdraw your argument. CEOs are responsible for the business, just as the President is responsible for the Defense Department, that does not they are responsible for every single low-level decision.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'm not going to sit here and act like the entire group are saints. Morals and ethics are not defined by vocation. But most people have a higher opinion of them as a group than they do politicians as a group at the moment. If Braun and his staff didn't think voters liked hearing he was a successful businessman, he wouldn't be stating it. If Rokita and Messer thought voters would be impressed with their congressional experience, they would be citing it more often than they are.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #288 on: May 02, 2018, 02:21:19 PM »
« Edited: May 02, 2018, 02:29:36 PM by StateBoiler »

I'm definitely not a Rokita guy. I'm leaning more toward Braun than Messer, but before I vote in the primary I'll try to listen to the last debate from this past Monday. If it was a straight up Rokita-Braun race and Messer had little to no chance at winning, I'll probably vote Braun. But if there are as many undecideds as everyone thinks there are, it's literally anyone's ballgame, which is a plus to Messer's chances. This is a pretty crazy race for it being so high-profile as far as it being Senate, it's a 3-way race, and the complete lack of good polling.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #289 on: May 02, 2018, 02:51:38 PM »

Indiana should seriously consider doing the following:

• Adopt a runoff or IRV system for primaries
  • Talk other states into doing the same thing

Especially if Rokita wins by a plurality.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #290 on: May 02, 2018, 03:10:01 PM »

Still thinking that Braun pulls this off. It'll probably be something like the previous prediction said, about 40-35-25. I really, really hope Rokita wins.

40% Braun, is 35% Rokita, 25% Messer? That’s damn embarrassing for Messer. I know many people who will be glad to see him gone from Congress, but at the cost of another Pence in Congress? Lordy, I don’t know.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #291 on: May 02, 2018, 03:55:11 PM »

I'm definitely not a Rokita guy. I'm leaning more toward Braun than Messer, but before I vote in the primary I'll try to listen to the last debate from this past Monday. If it was a straight up Rokita-Braun race and Messer had little to no chance at winning, I'll probably vote Braun. But if there are as many undecideds as everyone thinks there are, it's literally anyone's ballgame, which is a plus to Messer's chances. This is a pretty crazy race for it being so high-profile as far as it being Senate, it's a 3-way race, and the complete lack of good polling.

Indiana’s polling rules probably don’t help
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #292 on: May 02, 2018, 03:57:23 PM »

Yes, because from working in the real world, I and everyone else knows that the underlings make sure the CEO and the Board of Directors know absolutely everything...

So when there are patterns of problems/negligence that happen in a cabinet department, why do people attack the president? (That's true for whichever party is in the White House. Since I've reached adulthood, I could cite multiple examples for the last 3 presidents.)

You're having your cake and eating it too a bit in your attempt at this argument. You want to push argument A, you have to either accept the corollary to that or withdraw your argument. CEOs are responsible for the business, just as the President is responsible for the Defense Department, that does not they are responsible for every single low-level decision.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'm not going to sit here and act like the entire group are saints. Morals and ethics are not defined by vocation. But most people have a higher opinion of them as a group than they do politicians as a group at the moment. If Braun and his staff didn't think voters liked hearing he was a successful businessman, he wouldn't be stating it. If Rokita and Messer thought voters would be impressed with their congressional experience, they would be citing it more often than they are.

My point was that it's not a direct parallel, comparing the president to the State Department and a CEO to his company. If there is a pattern of corruption in the State Department, though, does the President bear no responsibility?

I believe that businessman who run for office are the ones who want to have their cake and eat it too. They like to take credit for the success of their company, while deflecting any responsibility for poor treatment/lack of fair compensation for their workers on HR or management at a lower level.

And I'm aware that voters see businessmen more favorably than politicians and I understand why. I'm simply pointing out why it's problematic. And as I said, I don't think this is going to hurt Braun much, if at all.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #293 on: May 02, 2018, 04:05:04 PM »

I am proud to have voted against both outsider businessmen in the 2016 election (republican Donald Trump and democrat Jim Barksadale)

I like my politicians to be actual politicians... granted Braun actually does have experience in a legislature, so he is acceptable.
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #294 on: May 02, 2018, 04:05:19 PM »

Not that familiar with Indiana politics, what are these rules like?
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #295 on: May 02, 2018, 04:44:55 PM »

Not that familiar with Indiana politics, what are these rules like?

I believe they make it very hard to do anything other than expensive live-caller polls
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #296 on: May 02, 2018, 04:46:18 PM »

I am proud to have voted against both outsider businessmen in the 2016 election (republican Donald Trump and democrat Jim Barksadale)

I like my politicians to be actual politicians... granted Braun actually does have experience in a legislature, so he is acceptable.

*huffs this post* THIS....This is that GOOD Atlas.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

« Reply #297 on: May 02, 2018, 04:53:28 PM »

Businessmen are thugs that exploit the workers!
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #298 on: May 02, 2018, 04:59:15 PM »

Businessmen are thugs that exploit the workers!

True! So are most long term politicians!

My ideal congress is full of people from all sorts of backgrounds. Teachers, nurses, public defenders, soldiers, ect. A congress full of only "lawyers with political science degrees that served a few terms in some legislature" somewhere would be god awful.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #299 on: May 02, 2018, 05:49:55 PM »

Barack Obama circa 2012 would disagree
As would Jennifer Granholm circa 2006.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 25  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies