HOUSE BILL: Return Education To the Regions Act (Passed - Sent to the VP/PPT)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:15:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HOUSE BILL: Return Education To the Regions Act (Passed - Sent to the VP/PPT)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Author Topic: HOUSE BILL: Return Education To the Regions Act (Passed - Sent to the VP/PPT)  (Read 9778 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 05, 2017, 04:11:38 AM »
« edited: October 26, 2017, 02:58:12 AM by People's Speaker North Carolina Yankee »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Representative 1184AZ
House Designation: HB 1082 - Return Education To the Regions Act
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 04:12:49 AM »

The Sponsor has 24 hours to begin advocating for this, or else! Evil
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 08:39:32 AM »

I like this bill, but I have some concerns over the required curriculum. First off, which one of these will teach kids about day to day living. I guess the regions could determine that, but I'm scared that there is too many requirements and children won't have time to learn stuff they need and stuff they want.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 12:51:55 PM »

I also like the bill, but I think this bill could address some specifics.

1. Which specific Core subjects must High schoolers take?
2. Would there be state tests?
3. What will be the pathway to graduation of high school?
4. Etc.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 03:12:46 PM »

I think this idea is a fundamentally good one, but I would like to see a better-defined timetable for the transition, or at least some kind of NPC commission to create one.

I'm also not totally clear on who handles education in Atlasia. Would this move the responsibility from the states to the regions, or from the Fed to the regions? Or is it already regionally handled? *looks fleetingly at the resident historian/house speaker*
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 06:38:35 PM »

I think this idea is a fundamentally good one, but I would like to see a better-defined timetable for the transition, or at least some kind of NPC commission to create one.

I'm also not totally clear on who handles education in Atlasia. Would this move the responsibility from the states to the regions, or from the Fed to the regions? Or is it already regionally handled? *looks fleetingly at the resident historian/house speaker*

I haven't seen anything education-related in Atlasia at all.

Maybe I can introduce legislation to put forth office(s) in regards to education.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 07:32:04 PM »

With Atlasia being such a diverse country both population and economically wise, I believe it is necessary that the regions be able to come up with their own curriculum and funding schedules to best suit their public educational needs. This bill however also ensures that students are still taking essential courses such as math, science, English ect. 
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 07:36:25 PM »

I also like the bill, but I think this bill could address some specifics.

1. Which specific Core subjects must High schoolers take?
2. Would there be state tests?
3. What will be the pathway to graduation of high school?
4. Etc.

1.English, Math Science and History/Social Science (8-12), and one foreign language (8-10)

2.Would be up to the regions on whether to institute regional testing. Though their would be no requirement for it.

3. Would largely be decided by the regions, though High School students would be required to take a course in the following subject area:
English, Math Science and History/Social Science (8-12), and one foreign language (8-10)

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 02:18:00 AM »

This is ing awesome! Where were these pro-regional Laborites in 2014! I could cry. Tongue

The author of this bill would have been called a child abusing, reactionary nazi for introducing this back then.

Generally, since the states are not playable, consider the regions a stand in for the states. Hence "regional rights" instead of "state's rights".

Ostensibly from the federal gov't to the regions. This was actually one promise during the con-con that education would be handled at the regional level more and less at the federal level.

Pre-reset this was one of many issues that had been usurped by the Federal gov't to an extend that the Federal gov't was dictating practically everything.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 02:20:56 AM »

Maybe I can introduce legislation to put forth office(s) in regards to education.

I think there have been bills at the regional level.

Pre-reset there was some significant regional level action on education in the Northeast of all places, under then Governor Scott.

If he is still interested in the issue, he would be a good Senator to collaborate with on education, of course he is also has healthcare on his plate.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 04:10:21 PM »

What is the situation here?

I don't like it when I am the last post on a thread a day later. Tongue
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 04:44:03 PM »

Sorry, didn't see your response to my question.

In that case, I would say I'm for the bill.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 03:41:32 AM »

This level of participation and discourse is rather unsatisfactory.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2017, 07:54:07 AM »

I think there have been bills at the regional level.

Pre-reset there was some significant regional level action on education in the Northeast of all places, under then Governor Scott.

If he is still interested in the issue, he would be a good Senator to collaborate with on education, of course he is also has healthcare on his plate.

Oh good! I'll find some time to speak with him.

Again, I like the bill and would support it.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2017, 12:54:52 PM »

I'd prefer there to be less requirements, and a course for the choice of the student. (In order for the student to get basic knowledge of the occupation they want to have)
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2017, 01:08:01 PM »

I'd prefer there to be less requirements, and a course for the choice of the student. (In order for the student to get basic knowledge of the occupation they want to have)

Enduro, you have a pretty good point. Students should be able to take courses that are relevant to their career choice.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2017, 09:38:04 PM »

Enduro, you have a pretty good point. Students should be able to take courses that are relevant to their career choice.
What subjects are you wanting me to drop from the required subjects, because Math and English are essential for almost any career path as well as a basic science course.  I am willing to cut back on the History/SS requirement, (but I still believe it is important that students learn something about their basic government structure, history of their country and world), and add in a requirement of a home economics
class or something. Anyways I would really like to reach a final agreement on this bill soon. 
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2017, 09:43:06 PM »

What subjects are you wanting me to drop from the required subjects, because Math and English are essential for almost any career path as well as a basic science course.  I am willing to cut back on the History/SS requirement, (but I still believe it is important that students learn something about their basic government structure, history of their country and world), and add in a requirement of a home economics
class or something. Anyways I would really like to reach a final agreement on this bill soon. 

Well, I'm not suggesting cutting back on anything, but was I just saying that Enduro did make a point.

Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2017, 12:03:47 AM »

Well, I'm not suggesting cutting back on anything, but was I just saying that Enduro did make a point.

We're acting like the regions aren't going to take care of their children, and make courses with these subjects.
Representative simossad
simossad
Germany

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2017, 02:13:25 PM »

We're acting like the regions aren't going to take care of their children, and make courses with these subjects.

You are right. The whole point of this bill is to strengthen the regions on education policy. I think that it's important to have national standards, but a national solution cannot satisfy the different dynamics in the respective regions.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2017, 03:47:07 PM »

Am I the only one in favor of striking the "curriculum" section from the bil, or at least amending it heavily to allow more regional choice?
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2017, 04:27:28 PM »

I think allowing more regional choice would be a good step.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2017, 03:39:17 AM »

My preferred approach to education in Atlasia had always been for the Federal gov't to provide assistance and support for regional action and leadership on education.

So that would be basically funding and a minimalist set of guidelines and then let the regions fight it out in their elections for Governor and Legislature over the issue.

Unfortunately, it has been my experience that whenever someone loses out one way or the other in a single region, their first response is always to come crying to Nyman about the need to it all from the central authority in Nyman.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2017, 01:24:20 AM »

Love the idea, skeptical of a federal curriculum.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2017, 01:33:20 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I propose this amendment.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies