What kind of Democrat should Donald Trump be most afraid of?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:51:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  What kind of Democrat should Donald Trump be most afraid of?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What kind of Democrat should Donald Trump be most afraid of?  (Read 3046 times)
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 03, 2017, 05:48:31 PM »

Jon Favreau posed this question to former Bush Communication Director Nicole Wallace, and I thought she gave the best answer I've heard so far:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I agree 100%, but I don't think a Democrat who meets this description has risen up through the ranks yet. Also, everyone should listen to the Wallace interview here:

https://art19.com/shows/pod-save-america/episodes/d48e6679-da37-4688-88f4-425b278857e1

Do you agree? If not, what kind of Democrat do you think Donald Trump should be most afraid of?
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 06:59:45 PM »

Honestly the kind of Democrat should Donald Trump be most afraid of is the one who doesn't have a noticeable flaw he can yell about over an over. Cause really that's what he does he just finds something about his opponent/gives them a nickname based on that and yells about over an over until for many that becomes a reality. Take for example Steve Bullock or Julian Castro the only rumors about them are an alleged affair by Bullock an money mismanagement at HUD by Castro neither which ever went anywhere/can be debunked while Warren has "Pocahontas" and Booker has big money donor ties
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 07:20:08 PM »

Well, Bernie has worked as a carpenter and a farmer.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 07:53:18 PM »

Rather than looking for some messianic individual, why don't we take this as a sort of script to follow as a party?
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 08:04:36 PM »

A Democratic veteran like Seth Moulton or Tammy Duckworth.
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 08:55:43 PM »

Tammy Duckworth would be formidable. An Iraq war veteran who lost both legs in battle? How can he compete with that?
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 09:00:51 PM »

Tammy Duckworth would be formidable. An Iraq war veteran who lost both legs in battle? How can he compete with that?

Ask Saxby Chambliss, he managed.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 09:07:31 PM »

The Democrats need to stop fetishizing conservative white working class people. How many times are these fundamentally right-wing voters gonna snatch the football away before the left learns their lesson?
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 09:15:54 PM »

The Democrats need to stop fetishizing conservative white working class people. How many times are these fundamentally right-wing voters gonna snatch the football away before the left learns their lesson?

The problem with the democrats right now is that forming a coalition of minorities and college educated whites isn't feasible. They have to broaden their base somehow.
Rjjr77
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 10:33:49 PM »

Roy Cooper
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 10:34:54 PM »

The problem with the democrats right now is that forming a coalition of minorities and college educated whites isn't feasible. They have to broaden their base somehow.

Neoliberals like Lief don't want to have the party actually appeal to working people.
🕴🏼Melior🕴🏼
Melior
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.17

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2017, 10:50:12 PM »

Neoliberals like Lief don't want to have the party actually appeal to working people.

The working-class voted against Donald Trump by nearly double digits IIRC. The party does "appeal to working people."

I think you meant white working people. A very large amount of "working people" aren't white. The working class voted against Trump. It was the white working class that voted for him.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2017, 11:54:41 PM »

Someone distinctly different - a left-libertarian like Ron Wyden, combined with someone with more executive experience. Say, Eric Garcetti or Michelle Lujan Grisham(if she wins the governorship).
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2017, 12:04:40 AM »

Also while I get the fun of these what ifs. I beat my bottom dollar after Kerry lost in 04 people here probably said they needed some folksy blue dog to win again and look how that went for all we know Trump can do something that shifts the conversation from what it was this year like invade a country, or a recession, or whatever an someone like Cuomo, Booker, or Castro just catches fire with the right message
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2017, 01:20:18 AM »

The working-class voted against Donald Trump by nearly double digits IIRC. The party does "appeal to working people."

I think you meant white working people. A very large amount of "working people" aren't white. The working class voted against Trump. It was the white working class that voted for him.

The white working class had a huge swing to Trump but minority working class people's needs are being ignored too, and I imagine they swung to Trump by a fair amount, too.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2017, 01:57:57 AM »

Also while I get the fun of these what ifs. I beat my bottom dollar after Kerry lost in 04 people here probably said they needed some folksy blue dog to win again and look how that went for all we know Trump can do something that shifts the conversation from what it was this year like invade a country, or a recession, or whatever an someone like Cuomo, Booker, or Castro just catches fire with the right message

Well sure, if the economy does what it did in 2008, then even a Tom Steyer/Ivy League humanities professor ticket would beat Trump by 5-10.  But the fact that change nothing and wait for the economy to crash worked within 4 years last time doesn't mean it will work this time.  Failing to build a big tent also meant that Obama's power was especially fleeting once he got in.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2017, 01:59:11 AM »

The white working class had a huge swing to Trump but minority working class people's needs are being ignored too, and I imagine they swung to Trump by a fair amount, too.

According to exit polls, every ethnicity swung towards Trump this election.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/11/08/us/politics/election-exit-polls.html
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2017, 02:02:52 AM »

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/11/08/us/politics/election-exit-polls.html

Another notable figure in  there is that people making under $30,000 swung to Trump by 11 points.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2017, 02:10:36 AM »

Well sure, if the economy does what it did in 2008, then even a Tom Steyer/Ivy League humanities professor ticket would beat Trump by 5-10.  But the fact that change nothing and wait for the economy to crash worked within 4 years last time doesn't mean it will work this time.  Failing to build a big tent also meant that Obama's power was especially fleeting once he got in.
That's not what I was really getting at my point is basing how should the dems act in 2020 off of this year is foolish. Look at Trump after 2012 everyone here would of said either someone like Rubio or bust for the GOP due to changing demographics now it's someone JBE or bust for the dems because WWC from rural America rule all. An I'm not saying ignore them but you don't need to directly pander to them either
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2017, 02:38:13 AM »

That's not what I was really getting at my point is basing how should the dems act in 2020 off of this year is foolish. Look at Trump after 2012 everyone here would of said either someone like Rubio or bust for the GOP due to changing demographics now it's someone JBE or bust for the dems because WWC from rural America rule all. An I'm not saying ignore them but you don't need to directly pander to them either

For the record, of the potential candidates who have expressed interest, I think he should be the most afraid of a Booker and Cortez Masto ticket, in either order.  In the entire universe of Dems who could run, I think he should fear an Oprah Winfrey/newly elected FL/AZ/GA-GOV ticket the most.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2017, 09:36:35 AM »

A combination of these people:

Abraham Lincoln's quiet strength
William Jennings Bryan's oratorical skills
Eugene Debs' guts
Theodore Roosevelt's appeal to the common man
FDR's empathy
JFK's youthful aura
LBJ's mastery with Congress
Nixon's campaign ads
Jimmy Carter's faith
Ronald Reagan's humor and wit
Bill Clinton's retail politics
Barack Obama's coolness

I don't necessarily think you'll find it in a politician that's currently holding office because quite frankly none of them really will do it.  There is no star in the Democratic world anymore.  For a party filled with young people, very few young people are emerging as new stars.

Really, anyone over the age of 35 who possesses the qualities for it and has camera equipment can run a YouTube campaign - and pray that it goes viral...

Anyone on Atlas Forum could do it.  Any takers?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2017, 09:53:19 AM »

"Swung towards Trump" in the sense that the Trump-Clinton margin beat the Romney-Obama margin, not that Trump actually got a bigger percentage of the vote than Romney.  Trump of course won a smaller percentage of the vote than Romney overall because of a larger 3rd party vote, and gained with some demographics over Romney while dropping among others.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2017, 11:42:23 AM »

The Joe Biden kind.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2017, 06:30:30 PM »

Julian Castro, Tulsi Gabbard, Martin Heinrich and Amy Khlobuchar who will be likely to run in 2020.
houseonaboat
Rookie
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2017, 07:34:41 PM »

Donald Norcross/Stephen Lynch 2020?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies