Worst Chief Justice Ever
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:21:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Worst Chief Justice Ever
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Vote:
John Jay

John Rutledge

Oliver Ellsworth

John Marshall

Roger Taney

Salmon Chase

Morrison Waite

Melville Fuller

Edward White

William Taft

Charles Hughes

Harlan Stone

Frederick Vinson

Earl Warren

Warren Burger

William Rehnquist

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: Worst Chief Justice Ever  (Read 3691 times)
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 27, 2005, 10:09:14 PM »

Earl Warren
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 10:28:19 PM »

Antonin Scalia
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 10:52:23 PM »

Roger B. Taney -of Dred Scott infamy.   
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 11:30:49 PM »

LOL
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005, 12:10:36 AM »

What's so funny? It says Justice, not Justices. If it were Justices, it would be everyone who supported keeping Dred Scott as a slave.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2005, 12:27:24 AM »

What's so funny? It says Justice, not Justices. If it were Justices, it would be everyone who supported keeping Dred Scott as a slave.

I think its a joke, that Scalia will be Bush's pick for Chief and will be the worst ever.

I voted for Warren, who made the Court too political.

Everyone bashes Dredd Scott v. Sandford, but the fact is the Constitution enshrined slavey before the 13th Amendment.  Abolishing slavery is not the Supreme Court's job.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2005, 12:33:50 AM »

No; it says Chief Justice.  Meaning Scalia is not a Chief Justice.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2005, 01:08:58 AM »

Oh, hahaha!! Oops!! Then Roger Taney.
RBH

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2005, 02:11:00 AM »

Dred Scott was a racist decision, or at least it was in the parts where it said that African-Americans were inferior and they could never be citizens of the United States.

Earl Warren's court did more to help restore the constitutional rights which were taken from Americans in some parts of this nation.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2005, 07:05:40 AM »

John Rutledge, and after him Roger Taney and Warren E. Burger.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2005, 11:26:50 AM »

I think its a joke, that Scalia will be Bush's pick for Chief and will be the worst ever.

I voted for Warren, who made the Court too political.

Everyone bashes Dredd Scott v. Sandford, but the fact is the Constitution enshrined slavey before the 13th Amendment.  Abolishing slavery is not the Supreme Court's job.

While I agree that it was not SCOTUS's job to end slavery, but that wasn't the question.  The question was, can the states prohibit certain activities within their boundries?

Could I, in 1850, legally go to a slave state, buy some slaves and some land, open a school and start teaching them to read, even though it violated state statute?  Could I claim that because PA and MA permits it, slave states cannot prohibit it?

(Now States, before you say it, a lot of owners ignored the law and did teach some slaves to read, but it was illegal in some states.  A lot of people ignored the Fugitive Slave Law too.  I'm referring to the legality.)

Scott v. Sanford was poorly thought out and violated about of centrury of common law, including those that the framers of the Constitution regarded as settled.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2005, 02:03:26 PM »

Article IV, Section 2, Clause 3:

"Clause 3: No Person held to Service or Labour in one State, under the Laws thereof, escaping into another, shall, in Consequence of any Law or Regulation therein, be discharged from such Service or Labour, but shall be delivered up on Claim of the Party to whom such Service or Labour may be due."

Taney was right.

Several other pre-13th Amendment passages make clear that only citizens had standing to sue and only Congress could grant citizenship (which it had not done), and Dredd Scott like any slave was categorized as an item of commerce not as a citizen.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2005, 02:08:35 PM »
« Edited: July 28, 2005, 02:10:31 PM by Emsworth »

"Clause 3: No Person held to Service or Labour in one State, under the Laws thereof, escaping into another, shall, in Consequence of any Law or Regulation therein, be discharged from such Service or Labour, but shall be delivered up on Claim of the Party to whom such Service or Labour may be due."

Taney was right.
With respect, of course, Taney was clearly not right. Dred Scott was not a fugitive slave; he did not escape anywhere. On the contrary, he was taken by his master, Dr. John Emerson, to Illinois and Wisconsin voluntarily. So this clause is not germane.

And in any event, Taney did not rule that Dred Scott had escaped and had to be returned. He held, firstly, that Scott had no standing to sue because he was a "negro," and therefore ineligible to become a citizen. Secondly, he held that the Missouri Compromise was unconstitutional and that slavery was legal in the territories despite federal laws to the contrary. Both parts of the ruling are absolutely unsound.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2005, 02:26:21 PM »

Taney was right.
With respect, of course, Taney was clearly not right. Dred Scott was not a fugitive slave; he did not escape anywhere. On the contrary, he was taken by his master, Dr. John Emerson, to Illinois and Wisconsin voluntarily. So this clause is not germane.

And in any event, Taney did not rule that Dred Scott had escaped and had to be returned. He held, firstly, that Scott had no standing to sue because he was a "negro," and therefore ineligible to become a citizen. Secondly, he held that the Missouri Compromise was unconstitutional and that slavery was legal in the territories despite federal laws to the contrary. Both parts of the ruling are absolutely unsound.

The problem Taney had is that he went further than he had to given the facts of the case on the Missouri compromise.  But his central holding, and you chose to cut outthe portion where I said this, is that slaves were not citizens and could not sue in Federal courts.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2005, 02:39:27 PM »

But his central holding, and you chose to cut outthe portion where I said this, is that slaves were not citizens and could not sue in Federal courts.
The central holding, I believe, was that blacks -- not just slaves, but blacks -- were not citizens, and could not sue.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2005, 02:47:15 PM »

But his central holding, and you chose to cut outthe portion where I said this, is that slaves were not citizens and could not sue in Federal courts.
The central holding, I believe, was that blacks -- not just slaves, but blacks -- were not citizens, and could not sue.

I'll look that up.  I was under the impression that he said slaves were articles of commerce and therefore could not sue.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2005, 02:55:01 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Here are some of the relevant portions of the decision I found online (http://www.etsu.edu/cas/history/docs/dreddscott.htm).  It seems to be that while Taney makes note of the fact that Scott is a "negro", he relates the key elements of his decision back to Scott's origins as an individual, namel as a man who was born a slave to slave parents.  The negro reference seems to be merely gratuitous.
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2005, 04:58:39 PM »

Taney.  Ending slavery was a case fit for judicial activism
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2005, 06:29:42 PM »

Taney actually misrepresented the historical facts in his opinion:

This is inaccurate, since there were free Black citizens (though not a lot) in the North.

Further, Taney's own opition cites a case where a free Black man did sue.

http://www.tourolaw.edu/patch/Scott/

There were examples of non-citizens having standing to sue.

Interestingly, even several of the concurring opinions noted that the issue was the applation of MO law, not a grand constitutional issue.  Nelson, in his concurrence implied that if Scott had sued while in IL, that law would apply.

Taney could have decided it based on which law was applicable and probabily would not have triggered the Civil War.

Taney deserves the vote for worst CJ, even when looked at contemporarily.

Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2005, 12:36:54 AM »

Rutledge, because he couldn't even get confirmed.

But Taney's pretty bad, too.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2005, 11:43:04 PM »

Burger and Taney handed down the two most horrible decisions in court history. Warren broke tradition and politicized the court to some degree. Rutledge was out there.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2005, 07:07:39 AM »

Burger and Taney handed down the two most horrible decisions in court history. Warren broke tradition and politicized the court to some degree. Rutledge was out there.

I don't know much about Rutledge, but I agree on the others you mentioned.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2005, 07:15:54 AM »

I don't know much about Rutledge, but I agree on the others you mentioned.
Rutledge is said to have had mental problems.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies