If Dems win House in '18, will Trump's 1 trillion infrastructure plan pass?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 05:52:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  If Dems win House in '18, will Trump's 1 trillion infrastructure plan pass?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: If Dems win House in '18, will Trump's 1 trillion infrastructure plan pass?  (Read 1931 times)
Thank you for being a friend...
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 01, 2017, 04:54:21 AM »

'Cause that plan ain't goin nowhere with a Republican in charge of anything. The GOP is all about "Cut, Cut, Cut, Cut, Cut."  Investment is only a word you hear on Wall Street, not in government to these people.  They'd rather the nation's bridges crumble to bits to give the CEO of Goldman Sachs another private island.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 05:00:24 AM »

Also: How the heck are we going to pay for ANYTHING without a tax increase?  Poppy Bush raised taxes, Bill Clinton raised them, they both paid for it dearly, but it was because of those tax increases that the government was able to get a surplus.

I just don't get the "economic conservatives".  They scream and rant and rave about the deficit and the debt and spending, when they are never raising taxes to bring in the revenue to do the enormously expensive things they want - like fighting a massive war in the Middle East without paying for it.

Aside from a wealthy Wall Street worker with millions in stocks who lives in Darien, Connecticut who can afford a private jet so he doesn't have to worry about his car falling off that sh**tty bridge everybody's on, what is the appeal of the social darwinist ideology?

The nation's credit card is maxed out completely.  Have some fiscal responsibility, raise the damn tax rates on the wealthy at least for a few years, and balance that damn budget.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 05:11:16 AM »

Shorn of the graft and corrupt privatization that I expect in a Trump proposal. Smaller but better.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 05:12:03 AM »

Obviously a trillion isn't anywhere near enough for infrastructure, but it might be too much for the cowards we have in office.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 08:29:09 AM »

Trump's plan that's just tax breaks to construction companies that would only build toll roads and other things that could make a profit and not the important work that needs to be done? Heck no that won't pass. I could see an ACTUAL transportation plan passing though, and it's desperately needed.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 11:23:19 AM »

Not Trump's corporate welfare plan, certainly.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 12:41:37 PM »

Also: How the heck are we going to pay for ANYTHING without a tax increase?  Poppy Bush raised taxes, Bill Clinton raised them, they both paid for it dearly, but it was because of those tax increases that the government was able to get a surplus.

I just don't get the "economic conservatives".  They scream and rant and rave about the deficit and the debt and spending, when they are never raising taxes to bring in the revenue to do the enormously expensive things they want - like fighting a massive war in the Middle East without paying for it.

Aside from a wealthy Wall Street worker with millions in stocks who lives in Darien, Connecticut who can afford a private jet so he doesn't have to worry about his car falling off that sh**tty bridge everybody's on, what is the appeal of the social darwinist ideology?

The nation's credit card is maxed out completely.  Have some fiscal responsibility, raise the damn tax rates on the wealthy at least for a few years, and balance that damn budget.

Simple you cut other spending to pay for this . In this ur paying 100 billion a year for infrastructure and to pay for that . I would propose cutting military spending by 100 billion (500 billion a year is still more than enough) and reform welfare where you can get many of the people on welfare help with the infrastructure project .
Rjjr77
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 06:33:21 PM »

Also: How the heck are we going to pay for ANYTHING without a tax increase?  Poppy Bush raised taxes, Bill Clinton raised them, they both paid for it dearly, but it was because of those tax increases that the government was able to get a surplus.

I just don't get the "economic conservatives".  They scream and rant and rave about the deficit and the debt and spending, when they are never raising taxes to bring in the revenue to do the enormously expensive things they want - like fighting a massive war in the Middle East without paying for it.

The nation's credit card is maxed out completely.  Have some fiscal responsibility, raise the damn tax rates on the wealthy at least for a few years, and balance that damn budget.

The government hasn't had a real surplus since Eisenhower
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 06:58:55 PM »

If I'm Pelosi in that scenario, it's not even coming up for a vote. We are not giving him a political victory on my watch.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 07:20:02 PM »

Also: How the heck are we going to pay for ANYTHING without a tax increase?  Poppy Bush raised taxes, Bill Clinton raised them, they both paid for it dearly, but it was because of those tax increases that the government was able to get a surplus.

I just don't get the "economic conservatives".  They scream and rant and rave about the deficit and the debt and spending, when they are never raising taxes to bring in the revenue to do the enormously expensive things they want - like fighting a massive war in the Middle East without paying for it.

The nation's credit card is maxed out completely.  Have some fiscal responsibility, raise the damn tax rates on the wealthy at least for a few years, and balance that damn budget.

We need to go back to Eisenhower.  I keep saying that.  So the tax rates on the rich were really high.  We need those rates to skyrocket if we're ever going to become a fiscally responsible nation.  I wonder what Washington is buying - I have a feeling its that military-industrial complex just growing out of control.  We want to be the best military in the world, and sure 75% of those high-tech inventions are worth it, but is all that stuff really necessary when we can't afford it?  There doesn't seem to be any common sense in Washington.  I wish we could go back to the Sam Rayburn days - when there were liberal Republicans and conservative Democrats and we had an Eisenhower as President.  Those times were so much better.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 07:30:38 PM »

The problem is the us government is spending too much , not that we don't have enough revenue . ( I view tax rates above 50 percent (except in extreme cases such as ww2 ) theft .
Rjjr77
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 07:34:57 PM »

We need to go back to Eisenhower.  I keep saying that.  So the tax rates on the rich were really high.  We need those rates to skyrocket if we're ever going to become a fiscally responsible nation.  I wonder what Washington is buying - I have a feeling its that military-industrial complex just growing out of control.  We want to be the best military in the world, and sure 75% of those high-tech inventions are worth it, but is all that stuff really necessary when we can't afford it?  There doesn't seem to be any common sense in Washington.  I wish we could go back to the Sam Rayburn days - when there were liberal Republicans and conservative Democrats and we had an Eisenhower as President.  Those times were so much better.

The problem is not with what the governments buying. Entitlements and the debt are our two biggest cost factors.

When LBJ allowed SSA money into the general fund is when we got in this mess, no one realized that we might have more retired and disabled SSA people than payers into the system. We owe too much to entitlements, unless we restructure Medicaid/Medicare and social security we'll never climb out of this hole.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2017, 08:34:49 PM »

If I'm Pelosi in that scenario, it's not even coming up for a vote. We are not giving him a political victory on my watch.

Pelosi will let a vote come up for, uh, ya know: something that she WANTS, LOL.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2017, 08:35:49 PM »

Trump would be sure to not have money for HSR to San Francisco then.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2017, 09:51:52 PM »

There are no guarantees -and I would prefer that any infrastructure bill be tackled only when Democrats regain complete control of Congress and the White House.  I don't trust this administration with anything. 
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2017, 10:15:36 PM »

1. Trump's "infrastructure" plan is paper-thin garbage and little more than tax cuts and subsidies for building developers to make larger profits on things they're already building

2. If we're going to do the infrastructure repairs our nation needs, we first must drastically raise taxes on the wealthy and return the top marginal income brackets back to something like how they were under Eisenhower
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2017, 10:17:30 PM »

Trump would be sure to not have money for HSR to San Francisco then.

As Frodo points out, you can't trust this administration as far as you can throw it.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2017, 10:31:37 PM »

1. Trump's "infrastructure" plan is paper-thin garbage and little more than tax cuts and subsidies for building developers to make larger profits on things they're already building

2. If we're going to do the infrastructure repairs our nation needs, we first must drastically raise taxes on the wealthy and return the top marginal income brackets back to something like how they were under Eisenhower

I love how people always say "under Eisenhower" as if he created or liked those rates.  He literally lowered them. Tongue  "Under Truman" would make more sense.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2017, 10:54:59 PM »

Probably the most achievable thing to do would be to repeal the ban on earmarks, hilariously enough. At least some infrastructure will get through, even if it would be disjointed and nonsensical.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2017, 11:40:45 PM »

I love how people always say "under Eisenhower" as if he created or liked those rates.  He literally lowered them. Tongue  "Under Truman" would make more sense.

And the fact democrats controlled congress 6 out of 8 years.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2017, 11:47:45 PM »

If it's just a 1 trillion giveaway to his real estate buddies, hopefully not.
Hollywood
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2017, 11:49:49 PM »

Trump's plan that's just tax breaks to construction companies that would only build toll roads and other things that could make a profit and not the important work that needs to be done? Heck no that won't pass. I could see an ACTUAL transportation plan passing though, and it's desperately needed.

Wow you have a copy of Trump's infrastructure plan?  Amazing.  Trump hasn't even written one.  

Aside for the tax breaks to construction companies, your first line describes the actions of Democrat and Republican Congressmen and Senators, who direct money to certain projects in their state (earmarks & pork barrel spending).  

Infrastructure spending doesn't bring an economy out of recession or depression, but it gives people a job during tough times.  The stimulus did not save the economy and send it in an upward direction.  The bank bailout saved the economy.  

An infrastructure bill would have an enormously positive effect in this economic environment.  We need to fix infrastructure and we need to build infrastructure in certain areas of the country to promote economic growth.  How that is directed will most certainly be determined by the swamp people in congress.  Trump has the right idea.  In fact, Clinton, along with the Democrats, could have won big time if they focused on infrastructure spending.  

Transportation plan?  That's just a category of infrastructure.  What is your transportation plan MasterJedi?  
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2017, 11:54:46 PM »

you're right, but my point is mostly that Eisenhower was able to build America's modern interstate highway system and other big league infrastructure projects thanks to some yooog tax rates on the wealthy
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2017, 11:56:09 PM »

Wow you have a copy of Trump's infrastructure plan?  Amazing.  Trump hasn't even written one.  

Aside for the tax breaks to construction companies, your first line describes the actions of Democrat and Republican Congressmen and Senators, who direct money to certain projects in their state (earmarks & pork barrel spending).  

Infrastructure spending doesn't bring an economy out of recession or depression, but it gives people a job during tough times.  The stimulus did not save the economy and send it in an upward direction.  The bank bailout saved the economy.  

An infrastructure bill would have an enormously positive effect in this economic environment.  We need to fix infrastructure and we need to build infrastructure in certain areas of the country to promote economic growth.  How that is directed will most certainly be determined by the swamp people in congress.  Trump has the right idea.  In fact, Clinton, along with the Democrats, could have won big time if they focused on infrastructure spending.  

Transportation plan?  That's just a category of infrastructure.  What is your transportation plan MasterJedi?  

There has already been plenty of notice from Trump and his gang about what he wants to do. In the very basic sense my infrastructure plan would be to get every state's list of bridges, roads, public transit that needs to be repaired and fully fund it. All repairs needed funded, then go forward with what public transit (read: trains, streetcars, light rail, BRT mostly) would benefit states and fund that too over time. Help crack the sh**tty states like Republicans who hate public transit and call trains choo choos.

So no games, just fund it, which is what needs to be done.
Hollywood
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2017, 11:57:12 PM »

If it's just a 1 trillion giveaway to his real estate buddies, hopefully not.

Yes.  people within the construction industry will receive a portion of that 1 trillion.  Who the f*** else constructs this nation's infrastructure?  

If I need someone to build me a bridge or a transportation system, I contract an engineer to draw plans and supervise the entire project.  After I've locked down my material suppliers, I hire contractors to coalesce multiple crews of construction professionals from a variety of specialities to build the project.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies