Politico: Cuomo wants to run as a reformer with results
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:16:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Politico: Cuomo wants to run as a reformer with results
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Politico: Cuomo wants to run as a reformer with results  (Read 4486 times)
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2017, 12:09:27 PM »

Cuomo is without a doubt the most qualified Democrat to be President in 2020.  Hearing all the "muh establishment, muh Wall Street" rhetoric from progressives really just shows you how not seriously they  take the job of governing haha

Cuomo is a candidate who will run and will be a frontrunner for the nomination come 2020.  Cuomo will be the only candidate in 2020 who can point to a proven track record of quantifiable results as a governor and he will benefit from a very large and influential New York fundraising/media base.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2017, 12:26:26 PM »

Cuomo is without a doubt the most qualified Democrat to be President in 2020.  Hearing all the "muh establishment, muh Wall Street" rhetoric from progressives really just shows you how not seriously they  take the job of governing haha

Cuomo is a candidate who will run and will be a frontrunner for the nomination come 2020.  Cuomo will be the only candidate in 2020 who can point to a proven track record of quantifiable results as a governor and he will benefit from a very large and influential New York fundraising/media base.

Would this rhetoric draw the same mocking from you if it came from "conservative" Southern Whites about a GOP primary candidate, for example?
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2017, 12:43:21 PM »

Not necessarily a good thing if things go south. Trump not being of the establishment got him in.

Also Obama, JFK, Carter, and FDR were not the most qualified either.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2017, 12:55:30 PM »

Cuomo is without a doubt the most qualified Democrat to be President in 2020. Hearing all the "muh establishment, muh Wall Street" rhetoric from progressives really just shows you how not seriously they  take the job of governing haha

Would this rhetoric draw the same mocking from you if it came from "conservative" Southern Whites about a GOP primary candidate, for example?

Seeing as I'm pretty "pro establishment" (whatever that means, I support free trade and the EU and such) then yes it would - I was no fan of Trump.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2017, 01:25:20 PM »

Seriously, screw Cuomo. That he only found it in him to actually help New York Democrats take back the legislature now that he wants to run for higher office is exactly the reason he should never even be considered for it. If he wants to contribute to the country, he should do everyone a favor and go retire.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2017, 01:35:06 PM »

lol Cuomo won't be the frontrunner.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2017, 02:02:42 PM »

Cuomo is without a doubt the most qualified Democrat to be President in 2020. Hearing all the "muh establishment, muh Wall Street" rhetoric from progressives really just shows you how not seriously they  take the job of governing haha

Seeing as I'm pretty "pro establishment" (whatever that means, I support free trade and the EU and such) then yes it would - I was no fan of Trump.

Painted a broad brush through your PM score, my bad. Tongue
hueylong
Rookie
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2017, 03:22:01 PM »

Partially agree. I actually live in New York. Have my entire life. He does get things done. While I do have significant reservations about his viability as a candidate in 2020, and thus largely disagree with your main point, it's laughable to see so many people who don't even live here so cavalierly dismissing his accomplishments. The consistent increases in my hourly wage and the fact that I could get my tuition covered if I didn't have the grants and scholarships that I do, along with a variety of other things = me strongly supporting Cuomo. Because he's actually made my life better in concrete, demonstrable ways. I know that's probably not as fashionable or as cool as calling him an establishment hack, which most seem to be doing, but it's also the truth.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2017, 03:46:40 PM »

If it comes down to Booker vs. Cuomo, I'm #ReadyForCory

Cuomo is that awful.

I miss his father.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2017, 03:50:10 PM »

If it comes down to Booker vs. Cuomo, I'm #ReadyForCory

Cuomo is that awful.

I miss his father.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2017, 04:04:22 PM »

I can see myself voting for Cuomo, though it would probably be hard to get the Bernie bros on board. I'm afraid that talking to the center just doesn't work anymore. He'd also be easy for the GOP to attack. Unlike Gillibrand, he's from NYC, and is from a political dynasty. If another New Yorker has to be the one to face Trump, I'd prefer Gillibrand, who's from upstate, and has a solid history of appealing to working-class voters.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2017, 04:21:18 PM »

I guess we can say hello to 8 years of President Trump...
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2017, 04:28:29 PM »

DOA.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2017, 04:30:31 PM »

Cuomo passed tons of progressive legislation with relatively small majorities. Seriously, I'd be ecstatic if there was a Republican equivalent of Cuomo running for president. What's your problem with him? That he's from NYC (cough Wall Street cough)? I didn't know the Democrats were into rural identity politics...
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2017, 04:43:14 PM »

Cuomo passed tons of progressive legislation with relatively small majorities. Seriously, I'd be ecstatic if there was a Republican equivalent of Cuomo running for president. What's your problem with him? That he's from NYC (cough Wall Street cough)? I didn't know the Democrats were into rural identity politics...

He's riddled with corruption scandals and allegations.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2017, 04:57:42 PM »

And can he even be trusted to give a crap about the party? Or is this going to be another repeat of the Obama years? He seems to care more about himself then growing the New York Democratic Party. Honestly, putting aside all my other issues with him, if I think he isn't committed to growing my party, and even worse if I think he'd just as easily weaken it on purpose, there is absolutely no way I'd support him in a primary. I'd work against him, even if that doesn't mean too much.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2017, 05:43:14 PM »

Yeah, the scandals are bad (I assumed they were lame like Hillary's emails, didn't know they were that bad) but so far he isn't implicated in anything. I guess these scandals can/will hurt his campaign but that still doesn't change the fact that the true leftists mostly criticize him for having ties to Wall Street and being out of touch while he has a solid progressive record.

And can he even be trusted to give a crap about the party? Or is this going to be another repeat of the Obama years? He seems to care more about himself then growing the New York Democratic Party. Honestly, putting aside all my other issues with him, if I think he isn't committed to growing my party, and even worse if I think he'd just as easily weaken it on purpose, there is absolutely no way I'd support him in a primary. I'd work against him, even if that doesn't mean too much.

Which possible presidential candidates do you trust to care about the party? Just wondering.

Anyway, I still think Cuomo would be a very competent president who would get a lot of progressive legislation passed (especially with the coming Republican implosion...). I think Cuomo and Booker get a lot more hate than they deserve.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2017, 05:53:24 PM »

I'd probably be pretty supportive of Cuomo if he didn't have the scandals weighing him down. He does have a solid progressive track record.

I can't stand Booker though. He's the only candidate I adamantly don't want to be the nominee. The guy sounds like he's telling a bedtime story to a 5 year old every time he talks and it gets on my nerves.
GGover
BBovine
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.06, S: 2.09

« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2017, 06:06:05 PM »

Cuomo is pretty handsome in an ugly way. He's no pretty boy like his brother Chris.

I personally don't mind Cuomo, but I think he would be an easier target for Trump than Hillary Clinton was.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2017, 06:42:55 PM »

I personally don't mind Cuomo, but I think he would be an easier target for Trump than Hillary Clinton was.
Corrupt Andy!
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2017, 06:52:24 PM »

I'd probably be pretty supportive of Cuomo if he didn't have the scandals weighing him down. He does have a solid progressive track record.

I can't stand Booker though. He's the only candidate I adamantly don't want to be the nominee. The guy sounds like he's telling a bedtime story to a 5 year old every time he talks and it gets on my nerves.

I also don't want Gabbard to be the nominee either but, yeah this is basically my thoughts as well.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2017, 07:18:57 PM »

Several of his top aides are in jail despite everything none of Hillary's associates were ever indicted. He would be end up being a worse candidate than her.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/23/nyregion/cuomo-former-aides-charges.html?mcubz=0
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2017, 07:32:04 PM »

He's only progressive when it suits him. Like how Collins is only centrist when it suits her.
hueylong
Rookie
United States

« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2017, 07:48:53 PM »

You ensure free college tuition and a $15 min. wage for tens of millions and you're still called a hack by people who rally behind other politicians who comparatively have accomplished nothing at all but get a pass for their ineptitude because they're in that little exclusive group of people who are considered "true progressives." What a joke.

Like, I have nothing against Booker, Warren, Harris, Bernie, or virtually any of the prospective 2020 candidates, but there's like maybe a couple of them that can even come close to matching the impact Cuomo has had on people's actual lives. The importance of this can't be overstated. So, and I reaffirm I do not personally think he'd be a good candidate - largely because of the aforementioned scandals and corruption - it's not entirely outrageous for him to think about running or for others to suggest it. Clearly, voters are willing to overlook personal problems and scandals/allegations if they're convinced you can deliver results.

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2017, 11:04:08 PM »

*bump*

Politico has a new story on Cuomo’s tentative efforts to mend fences with progressives:

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/07/07/andrew-cuomo-2020-trump-215348

You must be logged in to read this quote.

He thinks that the NY Times and Mother Jones are far left? Wow. What does he think anyone who supported Bernie is?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies