Politico: Cuomo wants to run as a reformer with results
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:05:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Politico: Cuomo wants to run as a reformer with results
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Politico: Cuomo wants to run as a reformer with results  (Read 4483 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 27, 2017, 11:15:32 PM »

I’m sorry, but I couldn’t resist using the “reformer with results” slogan in the subject line.  (Most of you are probably too young to get the reference.)

Here is Politico on how Cuomo is thought to be planning a 2020 presidential campaign centered around the fact that, unlike the other candidates (who are mostly in the Senate) he’s gotten things done:

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/andrew-cuomo-new-york-2020-235403

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The story also talks about Cuomo’s calculation in rarely ever criticizing Trump or even saying his name:

Suffice it to say, there are an awful lot of skeptics to this approach.  (Some of whom are also quoted in the story.)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 11:19:16 PM »

LOL
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 11:20:20 PM »

PLEASE run.

I want as many establishment hacks in the field as possible.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 11:20:49 PM »

Hey, at least he has a slogan, and his advisers aren't e-mailing 100 suggestions to each other in the middle of the campaign. It does sound a bit like the much-derided "progressive who gets things done", though.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 11:26:04 PM »

Btw, the latest Siena poll has Cuomo’s NY popularity up.  Fav/unfav is 60/34%.  Approve/disapprove is 50/48%:

https://www.siena.edu/news-events/article/voters-give-cuomo-his-best-favorability-job-performance-ratings-in-more-tha

Which may not sound fantastic, but he was underwater on job approval last month, and these are apparently his best #s in ages.

To clarify, the story doesn't say that that's his slogan.  I just used "reformer with results" to summarize the basic argument for his candidacy that the story was making, calling it "reformer with results", because that was the Bush slogan in his 2000 primary campaign against John McCain, when McCain said he was a reformer, and Bush said that as a governor, he (unlike McCain) actually got things done.  Cuomo's argument seems to be the same.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 11:33:06 PM »

I am an Independent. I can see myself voting for Andrew Cuomo. He is moderate on some issues. This nation still has centrists left. The extremes have taken over U.S. politics since the 1960s.

He is a Northeastern liberal. Will his SAFE Act of 2013 (gun control) hurt him in the Rust Belt and the South and the Western states? That's the question.

Also, will his rival, NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio run in 2020 for president as well (assuming he doesn't become indicted or defeated for re-election).
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 11:49:22 PM »

Can you imagine if the field consists of Trump, Cuomo, Clinton, De Blasio and Gillibrand? Five New Yorkers. Who will the big donors support??
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 07:23:21 AM »

PLEASE run.

Hopefully Cuomo, Booker, and Gillibrand all run, splitting the establishment/DLC vote and allowing someone decent to win.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 07:52:19 AM »
« Edited: February 28, 2017, 07:54:04 AM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

I used to think Cuomo would utterly crash and burn, but then I realized how sh**tty the rest of the field might be.

Can you imagine if the field consists of Trump, Cuomo, Clinton, De Blasio and Gillibrand? Five New Yorkers. Who will the big donors support??

That's obviously not happening. Not a chance we get both Clinton and Gillibrand, and some of the other combinations are unlikely too.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 08:25:40 AM »

He'll be the nominee, given that we're living in the worst possible timeline.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 10:56:47 AM »

Cuomo is the worst possible candidate Ds could run, he is the epitome of 'coastal elite' Ds, he'd tank in the Midwest because of his gun control stance, SAFE Act hurt him big time in Upstate. His fracking state could cost Ds Colorado and make it much harder to flip back PA. And of course the corruption and general NY sleaze he's involved in.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2017, 11:33:25 AM »

PLEASE run.

Be careful about what you wish for.
Hoosier_Nick
Nicholas_Roberts
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.03, S: -7.22

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2017, 12:18:13 PM »

Cuomo is the worst possible candidate Ds could run, he is the epitome of 'coastal elite' Ds, he'd tank in the Midwest because of his gun control stance, SAFE Act hurt him big time in Upstate. His fracking state could cost Ds Colorado and make it much harder to flip back PA. And of course the corruption and general NY sleaze he's involved in.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2017, 12:25:45 PM »

I used to think Cuomo would utterly crash and burn, but then I realized how sh**tty the rest of the field might be.

You're not excited by the latest hints of interest from Terry McAuliffe?  Tongue
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2017, 09:34:33 AM »

Also, will his rival, NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio run in 2020 for president as well (assuming he doesn't become indicted or defeated for re-election).

Well, he visited Iowa in 2015 which briefly sparked some de Blasio 2016 speculation, then went back again in January 2016 to campaign for Clinton.  And he has a non-profit group that exists to promote his agenda nationwide.  So there are certainly some hints of presidential ambition, but whether he actually takes the plunge in 2020, I don't know.
Rjjr77
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2017, 12:58:40 PM »

I am an Independent. I can see myself voting for Andrew Cuomo. He is moderate on some issues. This nation still has centrists left. The extremes have taken over U.S. politics since the 1960s.

He is a Northeastern liberal. Will his SAFE Act of 2013 (gun control) hurt him in the Rust Belt and the South and the Western states? That's the question.

Which one of the corrupt NY Liberals goes to jail first should be the real question
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2017, 05:09:50 PM »

Democrats would be very smart to run Cuomo!
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2017, 06:35:54 PM »

DLC types need to step aside.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2017, 06:38:18 PM »

DLC?
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2017, 06:42:49 PM »
« Edited: March 02, 2017, 06:47:40 PM by Tintrlvr »

DLC?

Democratic Leadership Council. It was, in the 1990s, an organization that focused on turning the Democrats in a more center-left direction (and away from the more radical positions the Democratic Party was perceived to have taken in the 1970s and 80s) that certain especially grudge-prone groups of left-wing Democrats (and sometimes other anti-establishment people) blame for everything wrong with the Democratic Party. It declined precipitously in influence after Bill Clinton left office and was dissolved in 2011.

While Cuomo might have been a member of the DLC in its heyday had he been active in politics then, he never had the opportunity. His father, Mario Cuomo (who was also a governor of NY), was staunchly anti-DLC.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2017, 07:49:36 PM »

I firmly believe Hillary is "all in" for 2020. 

As much as I loathe her (and I loathe her as I do few Democrats), I've got to hand it to her.  She DID win the popular vote, and by a significant amount; it's not like W in 2000 or if Nixon had won in 1960.  She's obsessed with "the job" and if Trump's fairly popular, a lot of Democrats will be OK with her getting this out of her system.  "Hillary Jennings Clinton".  Actually, that's an insult to The Great Commoner.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2017, 01:12:53 AM »

Agreed.

As I've hopefully made clear, I think Trump is too low to aspire to reaching the gutter with a rocket, and will do everything in my power to support his opponents politically.

I draw the line at Cuomo. If the Dems are idiots enough to nominate him, then they (and we) deserve another 4 years for Trump or the GOP.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2017, 03:06:29 PM »

If he wins the primaries in 2020 I will piss myself with laughter.
Trapsy

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2017, 08:57:49 AM »

I have never volunteer for a presidential campaign before but if Cuomo runs I will do everything in my power to stop him in the primary.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2017, 11:18:27 AM »

*bump*

Politico has a new story on Cuomo’s tentative efforts to mend fences with progressives:

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/07/07/andrew-cuomo-2020-trump-215348

Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies