TN-Gov: Karl Dean running, Mark Green out
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:22:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  TN-Gov: Karl Dean running, Mark Green out
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: TN-Gov: Karl Dean running, Mark Green out  (Read 8258 times)
Figueira
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 26, 2017, 09:45:34 PM »
« edited: June 03, 2017, 11:05:57 PM by Figueira »

http://www.newschannel5.com/news/political/karl-dean-announces-run-for-governor-in-2018
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 09:59:28 PM »

Good to hear; Dean's probably the best recruit we could've gotten for this race.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 09:59:42 PM »

Excellent news!
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 10:32:28 PM »

I don't see him having the necessary crossover appeal in East Tennessee, or even rural and small town central and West TN, for that matter. This isn't Louisiana and the state isn't in bad shape. Safe R, barring some unforeseen circumstances.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 10:46:47 PM »

Safe R ---> Likely R
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 10:47:45 PM »
« Edited: February 26, 2017, 10:53:04 PM by Maxwell »

I don't see him having the necessary crossover appeal in East Tennessee, or even rural and small town central and West TN, for that matter. This isn't Louisiana and the state isn't in bad shape. Safe R, barring some unforeseen circumstances.

The last Governor of Tennessee was also Mayor of Nashville and his appeal to rural Tennessee wasn't immediately obvious either. One step at a time.

I think the Republican primary will matter here above all else. I think there is the potential for an unelectable or unlikable candidate to rise from a vicious, multiple candidate primary.

Luckily for Dems, Governor Haslam is term-limited.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 10:59:17 PM »

Woo! Go Karl!
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 11:02:17 PM »

This is a race that could go from Safe R to Likely R to Lean R to tossup on election night if things go right for the dems.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 11:13:54 PM »
« Edited: February 26, 2017, 11:16:12 PM by MT Treasurer »

Yeah I'm aware of 2002, but everything went wrong for the GOP that year - the TennCare disaster, Sundquist's unpopularity, Bredesen's reputation as a moderate Democrat, the state income tax, etc. And needless to say, the state was much less Republican and polarized back then. I know it's an open seat, but I don't expect the Democrats to win this race in the end. Dean could easily crack 40% if the Rs nominate someone like Blackburn, though, and there will probably be polls showing a close race.

But I agree that there's nowhere to go but up for TN Dems. Tongue
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2017, 11:27:02 PM »

Safe R to Likely R. Karl Dean could make this a little bit competitive, however, will other Democrats enter the race, or is it a Karl Dean coronation? Does the DGA get involved in trying to win a deep Southern state?
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2017, 11:27:31 PM »

Yeah I'm aware of 2002, but everything went wrong for the GOP that year - the TennCare disaster, Sundquist's unpopularity, Bredesen's reputation as a moderate Democrat, the state income tax, etc. And needless to say, the state was much less Republican and polarized back then. I know it's an open seat, but I don't expect the Democrats to win this race in the end. Dean could easily crack 40% if the Rs nominate someone like Blackburn, though, and there will probably be polls showing a close race.

Yeah, as recently as 2008 there was lots of residual Blue Dog strength in rural western and central Tennessee, but now that's all gone. Blackburn is probably staying in the House and climbing up the leadership ladder. Only DesJarlais would make the race a tossup, IMO.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 12:12:58 AM »

Likely R. He surely would lose to Haslam, but now Republicans may have very bruising primary with unpredictable result. Only because of that, otherwise it would be Safe R...
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2017, 12:25:38 AM »

Fun fact that I learned last weekend: Tennessee has never elected back-to-back Republican governors.  Let's change that!

One Republican is already in the race- State Sen. Mark Green (R-Clarksville), who would be an incredible governor.  I will wait and see, but I could definitely see myself voting for him in the primary.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2017, 01:10:21 AM »

If you look at several recent elections, the Democrats' biggest obstacle in TN isn't winning in the general election: it's nominating somebody who is a complete nobody/loser because they just so happen to be the first choice on the primary ballot (Mark Clayton, Charlie Brown, Gordon Ball). TN's Democratic primary voting bloc is very low-info, and when combined with either no runoff or a very low threshold for one (I forget which), results in a very high chance that a complete rando gets the nomination based on surname alone.

However, it's worth remembering that at the end of 2010, Democrats did have the Governorship and a majority of the US House seats. Maybe there's still a little bit of swing left there.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2017, 01:23:15 AM »

However, it's worth remembering that at the end of 2010, Democrats did have the Governorship and a majority of the US House seats. Maybe there's still a little bit of swing left there.

Looking at last presidential results that seems unlikely... But we will see...
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2017, 09:40:54 AM »

I mean it's possible, though not probable, for Dean to win the seat for the Democrats. He'd need a lot to go his way, but a well-organised campaign with a strong effort on the ground can do a lot.

Basically what I'm saying is that Dean could win if he has a lot of Tennessee Volunteers working for him.

....I'll leave now
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2017, 09:54:50 AM »

This is a race to watch. If republicans start having trouble here, its a sign that donald is doing significant damage to republicans standing in the south and/or the damage Obama did to the blue dogs was less permanent then previously thought.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2017, 09:58:47 AM »

I'm like 95% sure he won't win, but it would be nice for the Democrats to actually have a decent candidate for once here in Tennessee.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2017, 10:12:43 AM »

Lean D or Tossup I would have to say. This is a big coup for the Democrats.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2017, 11:08:20 AM »

Looking at last presidential results that seems unlikely... But we will see...

Gubernatorial elections often don't follow presidential ones.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2017, 11:40:51 AM »

It would take some McCaskill-esque electioneering to get DesJarlais as the GOP nominee and even then this race would be Lean R. Dean is a high-quality candidate though, so hopefully this level of recruiting is replicated elsewhere.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2017, 12:09:38 PM »

House Minority Leader Craig Fitzhugh leaning towards getting in as well:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2017/02/27/fitzhugh-leaning-toward-run-against-dean-governor-freeman-likely-out/98476158/
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2017, 12:42:27 PM »

This is probably as good of a get as Dems can get here.

Now to see if they can get the Ol' Indian Outlaw to jump in for Senate... I won't hold my breath
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2017, 01:00:22 PM »

Now to see if they can get the Ol' Indian Outlaw to jump in for Senate... I won't hold my breath

Huh
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2017, 01:01:18 PM »

Huh

Tim McGraw.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies