Pataki Won't Run for Governor in 2006 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:46:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Pataki Won't Run for Governor in 2006 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pataki Won't Run for Governor in 2006  (Read 5508 times)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« on: July 27, 2005, 02:27:50 AM »

This really doesn't change anything.  Even if Pataki were to run Spitzer would have won in a landslide.  Thuiis just might mean by 30 points not 20
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 06:09:20 PM »

If he does the right thing and uses it for media coverage, is that wrong?  Spitzer's viewed as "an asshole with a huge ego" primarily by crooked businesses who have gone scott free for decades.  Spitzer is the first New York politician since Teddy Roosevelt who, rather than tolerating the downright fraud in the state's business community, pursues and destroys corruption.  As such Spitzer has gotten alot of media coverage for standing up to Wall Street interests.  Granted, Spitzer has used this coeverage to essentially propel him into the governor's mansion.  But can you think of any New York politician besides Rudy who could clean up the mess in Albany?

I think Suozzi would do a good job, some rumors that he could challenge Spitzer in a Primary next year.  Ssuozzi has done an amazing job in getting Nassau County's finances back on track & has instituted his "fix Albany" campaign.  But I would rather see Suozzi run for COngress & kick the shlep of a COngressman I have out of occice (Peter King)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 06:25:03 PM »

But I would rather see Suozzi run for COngress & kick the shlep of a COngressman I have out of occice (Peter King)

Peter King is a total Bush/Rove stooge. I would love to see him get beaten.

Is Suozzi in the same district as King?

Yup, prior to winning the County Exec position he was the mayor of Glen Cove, which is in the district.  So unless he moved that I'm not aware of he is in the district
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 10:40:42 PM »

Spitzer is the first New York politician since Teddy Roosevelt who, rather than tolerating the downright fraud in the state's business community, pursues and destroys corruption.

I think I just vomited in my mouth.

TR is one of my idols. Spitzer is no TR.
He's absolutely like TR.  Teddy's record of destroying corruption has stood unchallenged for decades.  Spitzer's the only politician who has even come close to Teddy's sheer force of will.

Nothing that Spitzer has done has even compared to TR's legacy in my opinion.
No other politician has even attempted to do anything to compare to TR's legacy.  Spitzer is by far the closest to meeting Teddy's challenge.

We could just keep going back and forth like this all day

"He's no TR!"
"Yes he is!"
"Nah-Uh"
"Uh-Huh"

Tongue

How about this

He might not be TR, but he has done a hell of a job at cracking down on corruption
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005, 11:29:50 PM »

Hopefully, he doesn't get pulled down as a reformer of a terrible system like Pataki did (after the corruption of Mario Cuomo) in these last 12 years.

Pataki inherited an incomprehensible mess and is giving his replacement a comprehensible mess.  That is some damn fine governoring right there.

lol.   Totally agree there.

His downfall started shortly after his 3rd term began.  During the Campaign he touted the state ecconomy as being simply amazing & that he was going to do more in such areas as education funding & what not.  Then shortly after winning re-election it turns out that trhe state was in a financial crisis & he proposed various education cuts from Kindergarden all the way up to the state colleges, increased tuition at the state school after stating he wouldn't.  The Legsilature did fight him on this & the tuition increases, as well as education cuts were less than what he wanted & proposed, but this ultimatley started his downfall.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2005, 03:56:08 AM »

By the way I think everyone whining about Guiliani is pretty foolish to automatically assume it's because he wants to run for president. Even he should be aware he has no chance. Rather he probably simply is done with politics, which wouldn't be suprising, as no NYC mayor since the 20s has won higher office later.

Giuliani is VERY VERY stubborn that is something even the biggest Giuliani supporters will even admit.  I don't think he has a chance in hell of winning the GOP nomination (too socially liberal), but I think their is a good chance he will run thinking he does (& well just wanting to be Pres).  Its highly unlikely thathe will run for Gov or Senate, but he could run  for Pres in 08.  Then again he could just sitback not run & become richer because his company is making tons of $$$ right now
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2005, 03:09:04 PM »

By the way I think everyone whining about Guiliani is pretty foolish to automatically assume it's because he wants to run for president. Even he should be aware he has no chance. Rather he probably simply is done with politics, which wouldn't be suprising, as no NYC mayor since the 20s has won higher office later.

Giuliani is the one person who could break the NYC mayor's curse, if he goes for the right office.  Normally, being a NYC mayor is political poison for the rest of the state, not to mention the country at large.  Giuliani emerged from the job as mayor more popular in the rest of the state than in the city, due largely to his sharply more conservative record than is typical for a NYC mayor, coupled with his reaction to Sept. 11.  He is also, incredibly, a former NYC mayor who can be sent to campaign for Republican candidates in South Carolina.

Still, I agree he doesn't have a shot at the presidency.  I think he might if he went for the governorship and took more moderate stances on social issues, closer to the GOP base.  He could start making a transition closer to a pro-life stand on abortion, as an example, and his past "sins" could be overlooked based upon his strong conservative record in other areas, such as welfare reform and fighting crime.  But he needs time, and a forum to make these transitions.  I also think he needs a higher office as a bridge to the presidency in any case, that a jump from mayor to president is too big a leap.

I guess he's got better minds than mine advising him, or else maybe he is just stubborn, as Smash says.

Rudy is VERY Pro-Choice, he was against the bill banning PBA.  I very seriously doubt he would take a more pro-life position.  That is something I just don't see happening,

If he would run for Govenor he could win against Spitzer, I doubt he would be able to beat Clinton in a Senate run though.  (Most polls for Gov showed him ahaed by a few points, but trailing Clinton by 8-10 points or so)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies