Pataki Won't Run for Governor in 2006
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:21:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Pataki Won't Run for Governor in 2006
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Pataki Won't Run for Governor in 2006  (Read 5405 times)
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 27, 2005, 12:00:49 AM »

http://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index.jsp?stid=1&aid=52377

Looks like both Spitzer and Hillary will have landslide victories.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 12:07:02 AM »

Hmm...retiring to avoid losing.  For a Presidential Run?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 12:08:01 AM »

We have a winner....but it won't be Mr. Pataki...
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 12:24:24 AM »

We have a winner....but it won't be Mr. Pataki...

I don't think so.  But I think if he's selling insurance in 2008 it won't be by his choice.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005, 12:36:07 AM »

Pataki himself admitted that he's a longshot for the VP slot.  If he even runs at all, expect him to drop out by December 2007.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2005, 12:38:49 AM »

Also note that "sources" have been saying this for five months or more, so it's not like it's a surprise or anything.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2005, 02:27:50 AM »

This really doesn't change anything.  Even if Pataki were to run Spitzer would have won in a landslide.  Thuiis just might mean by 30 points not 20
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2005, 08:39:01 AM »

haha
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2005, 08:43:19 AM »

The Times reports that he'll officially anounce later today. 

At last, the Democratic Party will return to power in the Governor's Mansion. 
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2005, 08:52:37 AM »

pataki is probably hoping for a high level cabinet appointment in the bush administration.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2005, 01:58:15 PM »

You guys are slow. I broke this news in TS last night Wink
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2005, 02:00:06 PM »

This really doesn't change anything.  Even if Pataki were to run Spitzer would have won in a landslide.  Thuiis just might mean by 30 points not 20

I doubt it would've been that big of a margin. His approval ratings were just begining to rise and his disapproval sink last month, I'm sure he would've been able to make it closer than 20.

ALSO F--K GIULIANI. He should be running for Governor or Senate but instead thinks he can win the Presidency because he's got a huge ego.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2005, 03:07:52 PM »

NYGOP will probably nominate Tom Golisano unless Giuliani decides to put his ego behind him.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2005, 04:01:09 PM »

So it looks like Pataki saved himself from an ass kicking, But I hear this Spitzer guy is an asshole with a huge ego and likes to go after corporations.  Will this Spitzer guy get 70%. I'm glad i don't live in New York.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2005, 04:21:46 PM »

So it looks like Pataki saved himself from an ass kicking, But I hear this Spitzer guy is an asshole with a huge ego and likes to go after corporations. 

He goes after corrupt corporations who break the law. That is a good thing.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2005, 05:29:38 PM »

So it looks like Pataki saved himself from an ass kicking, But I hear this Spitzer guy is an asshole with a huge ego and likes to go after corporations.  Will this Spitzer guy get 70%. I'm glad i don't live in New York.

Spitzer has done some good things but pretty much it seems to me that he is a media-whore. I'm not really sure what to expect from his governorship. People are already touting him for President so who knows, this may just be one step in his ladder.

I don't think he'll reach 70%. He's got alot of buisnessmen pissed off at him/afraid of him and god knows theres lots of them in NY. Without a doubt he'll win though unless something major happens.
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2005, 05:58:34 PM »

If he does the right thing and uses it for media coverage, is that wrong?  Spitzer's viewed as "an asshole with a huge ego" primarily by crooked businesses who have gone scott free for decades.  Spitzer is the first New York politician since Teddy Roosevelt who, rather than tolerating the downright fraud in the state's business community, pursues and destroys corruption.  As such Spitzer has gotten alot of media coverage for standing up to Wall Street interests.  Granted, Spitzer has used this coeverage to essentially propel him into the governor's mansion.  But can you think of any New York politician besides Rudy who could clean up the mess in Albany?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2005, 06:09:20 PM »

If he does the right thing and uses it for media coverage, is that wrong?  Spitzer's viewed as "an asshole with a huge ego" primarily by crooked businesses who have gone scott free for decades.  Spitzer is the first New York politician since Teddy Roosevelt who, rather than tolerating the downright fraud in the state's business community, pursues and destroys corruption.  As such Spitzer has gotten alot of media coverage for standing up to Wall Street interests.  Granted, Spitzer has used this coeverage to essentially propel him into the governor's mansion.  But can you think of any New York politician besides Rudy who could clean up the mess in Albany?

I think Suozzi would do a good job, some rumors that he could challenge Spitzer in a Primary next year.  Ssuozzi has done an amazing job in getting Nassau County's finances back on track & has instituted his "fix Albany" campaign.  But I would rather see Suozzi run for COngress & kick the shlep of a COngressman I have out of occice (Peter King)
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2005, 06:20:15 PM »

But I would rather see Suozzi run for COngress & kick the shlep of a COngressman I have out of occice (Peter King)

Peter King is a total Bush/Rove stooge. I would love to see him get beaten.

Is Suozzi in the same district as King?
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2005, 06:23:33 PM »

Pataki has been ineffectual for quite some time, and it's no surprise to see he's not running.  He doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell to be president, either.

Giuliani should be running.  What good is he to the state party if he refuses to answer the call when needed?  His run for the presidency is a long-shot, and he'd have a better shot I would think as a sitting governor.  It seems to me that it's a pretty big leap to go from mayor to president.

The Republican Party in New York State needs to be rebuilt from the ground up.  Pataki had really become a liability to the party in the governorship.  Let's not forget, the last time the Democrats ran things, they ran the state into the ground, and I look for more of the same this time, assuming the Democrats recapture the governorship, which is probable.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2005, 06:25:03 PM »

But I would rather see Suozzi run for COngress & kick the shlep of a COngressman I have out of occice (Peter King)

Peter King is a total Bush/Rove stooge. I would love to see him get beaten.

Is Suozzi in the same district as King?

Yup, prior to winning the County Exec position he was the mayor of Glen Cove, which is in the district.  So unless he moved that I'm not aware of he is in the district
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2005, 09:34:34 PM »

Giuliani should be running.  What good is he to the state party if he refuses to answer the call when needed?  His run for the presidency is a long-shot, and he'd have a better shot I would think as a sitting governor.  It seems to me that it's a pretty big leap to go from mayor to president.

Exactly. These fake 2008 polls really aren't helping Rudy either...

Rudy is really one of the reasons why NYGOP is ed. He's one of the only viable candidates for state office.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Once again you have gotten it right. The sad thing is that Pataki was probably the only chance the NYGOP had of coming close in the race. I still don't think Spitzer will get close to 70% though. I'm curious to see the state of things in 2010.

YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2005, 09:35:34 PM »

Spitzer is the first New York politician since Teddy Roosevelt who, rather than tolerating the downright fraud in the state's business community, pursues and destroys corruption. 

I think I just vomited in my mouth.

TR is one of my idols. Spitzer is no TR.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2005, 09:37:49 PM »

Spitzer will be a star. 
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States