Democrats: Do you support forcibly removing Manchin from the democratic caucus?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:44:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Democrats: Do you support forcibly removing Manchin from the democratic caucus?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Meaning kick him out today and force him to caucus with the republicans or no one at all
Yes
No
Not a Democrat
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Democrats: Do you support forcibly removing Manchin from the democratic caucus?  (Read 2185 times)
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 17, 2017, 02:27:44 PM »

This should be interesting.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 02:30:07 PM »

Why would we do that to one of our best? The only ones bad enough to disavow are Kamala Harris and Bob Menendez.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 02:39:18 PM »

Why would we do that to one of our best? The only ones bad enough to disavow are Kamala Harris and Bob Menendez.

WRONG!

And no, we need him, especially since Collins ain't movin' anywhere.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 02:54:18 PM »

No, just primary him in 2018.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 03:00:46 PM »

No, the current situation simply doesn't allow us that luxury.

I prefer to just call him a cuck.
nicholas.slaydon
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 03:08:07 PM »

Yes
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 03:30:55 PM »

How is it in our best interest to primary him?

Regardless of what you think about the viability of running progressive populists in predominantly white-working class areas, what progressive populist is going to be willing to shill for the coal lobby as part of their main platform? The reality is that West Virginia has offered little signals that it wishes to diversify its economy despite the decades long decline of the coal industry, and until they do demonstrate willingness to try new things, they won't support any candidate that's anti-coal.

Primary him with somebody more progressive and watch him get replaced with a staunch, party line Republican. Congratulations on voting out of office somebody that still votes over 60% of the time on Democratic agenda items and replacing him with somebody that votes for Democratic items 0% of the time. You really showed those DINO's how it's done!
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 04:03:46 PM »
« Edited: February 17, 2017, 04:06:01 PM by watermelon »

No of course not, but his voting record makes no sense.  It's not as if Trump voters will like him more if he votes for a guy like Mnuchin.  All he has managed to do with his votes is alienate many of his Democratic supporters.  My guess is that he's planning to retire and is looking for a lobbyist job.  He's beginning to remind me of Ben Nelson, the Democratic Senator from Nebraska who sabotaged any efforts to add a public option to the ACA, and now works as an executive for the insurance industry with a 7-digit salary.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 04:09:07 PM »

No of course not, but his voting record makes no sense.  It's not as if Trump voters will like him more if he votes for a guy like Mnuchin.  All he has managed to do with his votes is alienate many of his Democratic supporters.  My guess is that he's planning to retire and is looking for a lobbyist job.  He's beginning to remind me of Ben Nelson, the Democratic Senator from Nebraska who sabotaged any efforts to add a public option to the ACA, and now works as an executive for the insurance industry with a 7-digit salary.

Obligatory reminder that Obama was also opposed to the public option. Nelson's opposition wasn't needed to derail it.
Hoosier_Nick
Nicholas_Roberts
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.03, S: -7.22

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 04:17:59 PM »

Regardless of what you think about the viability of running progressive populists in predominantly white-working class areas, what progressive populist is going to be willing to shill for the coal lobby as part of their main platform? The reality is that West Virginia has offered little signals that it wishes to diversify its economy despite the decades long decline of the coal industry, and until they do demonstrate willingness to try new things, they won't support any candidate that's anti-coal.

Primary him with somebody more progressive and watch him get replaced with a staunch, party line Republican. Congratulations on voting out of office somebody that still votes over 60% of the time on Democratic agenda items and replacing him with somebody that votes for Democratic items 0% of the time. You really showed those DINO's how it's done!
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 04:22:24 PM »

Exactly. The idea of attacking or removing Manchin because he's somehow insufficiently liberal is completely ridiculous. I guess an ideological, party-line Republican is somehow better than a Conservative Democrat? Yeah, no thanks. I'd rather keep Manchin and even include more Democrats like him within our party if it'll help us expand into more White, rural areas and grow our number of elected officials.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2017, 04:50:44 PM »

That sounds a bit harsh, the Democrats I think need to be more welcoming of ideological diversity if the want to win the heartland back and win elections again, but I'd be happy to see Joe Manchin join the GOP
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2017, 05:34:34 PM »
« Edited: February 17, 2017, 05:39:32 PM by MattVT »

As much as I may dislike some of Manchin's positions, I'd still much rather have him holding a senate seat then another alt-right WV Republican, which is exactly what will happen if he loses a primary. Better to have someone who is right half of the time than someone who is wrong all of the time. He's pretty much the best we're going to get from a state like West Virginia these days. Quite frankly people like Manchin help the Democrats' brand in Appalachia, and given the region's crippling poverty it is a true testament to how damaging the elitist image that the party has been successfully painted with by the right in recent times, that states with so many problems economically would vote for the party of the 1%
🕴🏼Melior🕴🏼
Melior
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.17

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2017, 05:35:51 PM »

No
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2017, 05:38:59 PM »

No, the current situation simply doesn't allow us that luxury.

I prefer to just call him a cuck.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2017, 06:15:01 PM »

People who vote yes are just like the Tea Party.

Better to have someone who agrees with us half the time than hardly ever.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2017, 06:45:44 PM »

As much as I may dislike some of Manchin's positions, I'd still much rather have him holding a senate seat then another alt-right WV Republican, which is exactly what will happen if he loses a primary. Better to have someone who is right half of the time than someone who is wrong all of the time. He's pretty much the best we're going to get from a state like West Virginia these days. Quite frankly people like Manchin help the Democrats' brand in Appalachia, and given the region's crippling poverty it is a true testament to how damaging the elitist image that the party has been successfully painted with by the right in recent times, that states with so many problems economically would vote for the party of the 1%

They don't see it as voting for the party of the 1%, they see it as voting for the party who respects the coal industry.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2017, 06:56:19 PM »

No, but if he was in a blue or even a purple state, yes.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2017, 09:02:08 PM »

They don't see it as voting for the party of the 1%, they see it as voting for the party who respects the coal industry.

That was what I was getting at, sherlock. The reason for this is because of the neglect and disdain shown by many in the DNC for these areas of the country. The reason for this is because the national party has done a terrible job recently, exposing the Republicans of being exactly what they are at their core, a rich man's party.  You cannot claim to represent the interests of all Americans if you insist on running on the same platform in West Virginia, as you do in places like California. This is why it is important to have people like Manchin in the party who represent the political realities of their state. And before anyone suggests that I'm allowing for homophobia or racism, let me be clear that I am simply saying that allowing people with liberal views for their state, even if they are a bit more conservative than certain other members of the party, is essential to have a party that can function and win elections in all 50 states. Being pro-life or pro-gun rights (the latter being something that I support) should not be what defines who is a real Democrat and who isn't. We should be basing this on who represents the interests of working class Americans, which is exactly why Hillary Clinton failed so abysmally.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2017, 03:02:52 AM »

^ For whatever reason, Abortion has become the democrats signature cause. Even more so than Climate Change - Tester, Donnelly, and Heitkamp are pro-coal (I'll address Manchin below), and no one important cares. No one important cared about the group of dems who supported/were open to the idea of Keystone either.  Even more so than Gun Control - I didn't see anyone complaining about Pro-Gun Rep. Ann Kirkpatrick being the nominee against McCain, for instance. But for some reason, when it comes to Abortion, it is suddenly unforgivable to oppose it. There are two pro-life dems left in the senate. One is Bob Casey, who is quite low-profile. The other is Manchin, who is consistently criticized for not being liberal enough. And I honestly think it's over Abortion. Yes, Manchin is pro-coal, bit so is Tester, and no one claims he's not a real democrat. It's not guns, because Manchin did Manchin-Toomey. This started before Trump, so it's not just the cabinet stuff. The only difference left between Manchin and other romney state senators is Abortion.

And it's honestly sad that this is the case, that a major political party has as its Signature Issue destruction of our own species. And this gets into part of why I am not a single issue abortion voter - I believe that Democrats are basically forced to be pro-choice, whether they like it or not. I believe there are dems in congress right now, although I'm not exactly sure who, who want to advocate pro-life policies, or at least things like an outright 24 week ban, but are forced into silence by the Democratic base. I don't know why the base has destruction as their signature issue, but it's the way it is, and it's one of the worst things about our political system. And I don't know how to begin changing it. I don't want a 535-0 R Congress.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2017, 06:40:29 AM »

Manchin is D-WV, not D-WA silly.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2017, 09:47:31 AM »

Completely agree with everything you said, including the bolded, but it is kind of funny that the only Republican WV Senator in the past like 60 years (the current one) is pretty moderate. Tongue
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2017, 12:13:23 PM »

Which would almost guarantee a Republican win? Or just throw up a sacrificial lamb to get him to "look to his left" once in a while?
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2017, 12:51:18 PM »

I don't like his views on the environment, nor am I happy with his daughter not being in prison, but only in the most extreme of extreme cases should the DNC kick out a senator. Also we need more pro-life dems moderating the nutcases trying to legalize 8th term abortions or whatever.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2017, 02:07:33 PM »

No---- we need more Blue Dog Democrats in the US House and Senate, even if some of their policy positions are in direct contrast to the overwhelming majority of the National Democratic Party base....

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies