Cory Booker vs Donald Trump
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:18:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Cory Booker vs Donald Trump
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Cory Booker vs Donald Trump  (Read 3936 times)
Da2017
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 14, 2017, 10:49:54 PM »

Could Cory Booker beat Donald Trump?
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 10:54:35 PM »

Yes, in a bad economy.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 12:09:09 AM »

houseonaboat
Rookie
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 12:23:57 AM »

It depends a lot on the political climate. He's still a very good candidate, pretty easily the most talented orator in Congress and has a very compelling life story (watch Street Fight if you're curious), but more than any of his Senate votes the amount of sh**t that happened in Newark when he was mayor will hurt him the most, especially the horrendously botched Zuckerberg donation as well as some other minor corruption issues (very far removed from him, but this is New Jersey after all).

I would say today -- if approval rating polls are to be trusted -- it would be 60% odds on Booker. But he's definitely not the strongest candidate Democrats can offer.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 12:51:25 AM »

Yeah, without a problem. He'd increase black turnout back to 2008 levels (2012, when it was even higher, wouldn't even be necessarily), add that to the Hillary coalition, and that's a win there, without accounting for other effects like generational trends or the likely collapse of the third-party vote.

Trump almost certainly needs to gain some supporters somewhere to win again in 2020. It seems pretty clear in polling that he's so far been unable to do this.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 05:13:59 AM »

I still think the main reason Hillary lost reliably Democratic Wisconsin was because of the race riots last year. Hillary had her hands tied by the left so she was unable to condemn violence, looting, and the calls for attacks on "the suburbs". Booker, as a Black man and a respectability politics type Black man, could hypothetically tact right of Hillary on race and presumably get back some support.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 08:59:13 AM »

I think Booker wins under most circumstances. He's overrated but not as bad as some think.
Hoosier_Nick
Nicholas_Roberts
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.03, S: -7.22

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 09:52:08 AM »

I think Booker would have a decent chance. I think some candidates would be better in the general election, but I don't think nominating him would be the worst idea.
Da2017
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 10:54:25 AM »

Would Cory Booker be a worse or better choice than Kamala Harris in a bad economy?
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 12:29:56 PM »

Booker seems like a good choice in terms of electability, I just don't think he's satisfactory (relative to other Dem possibilities) on economic/regulatory policy, to put it gently
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2017, 12:33:06 PM »

Would Cory Booker be a worse or better choice than Kamala Harris in a bad economy?
Slightly better. But I still don't think he'll beat Trump.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2017, 02:13:30 PM »

It's a tossup. Booker can't in the white working class and Trump might be more popular now than he was on November 8, but if Trump is unpopular and Booker boosts minority turnout and Democrat support with college-educated whites he could win.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2017, 02:22:58 PM »

Cory Booker/Amy Klobuchar-Democratic: 273 EV 49.7%
President Donald Trump/Mike Pence-Republican: 265 EV 45.9%
nicholas.slaydon
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2017, 02:25:32 PM »

ClassiCoolidge
Rookie
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2017, 11:58:32 AM »

Sorry, but Booker's weak.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2017, 12:29:30 PM »

No, Booker is a corporate pig, plus Trump would imply Booker is a homosexual (has already happened in the senate race) which would cost him any male Trump voters.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2017, 12:36:44 PM »

No, Booker is a corporate pig, plus Trump would imply Booker is a homosexual (has already happened in the senate race) which would cost him any male Trump voters.

Booker should just go ahead and propose to Cleo before he runs for president.  They could have their honeymoon at the Iowa state fair.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2017, 12:45:03 PM »

I'm 99.9% sure that Booker is gay.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2017, 02:27:30 PM »

Depends whether or not the pro-Trump left manages to demonize him and brainwash progressives against him like they did Clinton. If he can avoid that, then he should be heavily favored.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2017, 02:49:28 PM »

If I had to rank them from most to least electable: Sanders > Harris > Booker > Warren > Clinton

lol. Warren is the most electable from that list, which is incredibly terrifying.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2017, 02:49:46 PM »

Booker is the kind of guy who could really bring out the "southern strategy" for the Democrats.

Booker - 283
Trump - 255
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2017, 03:20:16 PM »

Depends whether or not the pro-Trump left manages to demonize him and brainwash progressives against him like they did Clinton. If he can avoid that, then he should be heavily favored.

You're like a parody of a Clintonista.

First of all, the "pro-Trump left" isn't really a thing. Sure, a few "leftists" here and there chose to support Trump, but that was more out of a desire to spite the Democratic Party and to send a big fat "f-you" to the Democratic establishment in Washington. And although I believe their support for Trump was misguided, it's hard to argue that they didn't achieve their goal.

A fire has now been lit under the asses of the Democratic establishment and the activist base of this party is fired up and ready to take over congress, governors mansions, and state houses all over the country in 2018.

Booker is not the ideal candidate for Democrats in 2020, and it's really not hard to understand why. He's despised by the Sanders wing of the party, plain and simple. Democrats need a candidate who can please both the Sanders and Clinton wings of the party. A candidate like Elizabeth Warren, Sherrod Brown, or Jeff Merkley.

Rjjr77
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2017, 03:29:36 PM »

First of all, the "pro-Trump left" isn't really a thing. Sure, a few "leftists" here and there chose to support Trump, but that was more out of a desire to spite the Democratic Party and to send a big fat "f-you" to the Democratic establishment in Washington. And although I believe their support for Trump was misguided, it's hard to argue that they didn't achieve their goal.

A fire has now been lit under the asses of the Democratic establishment and the activist base of this party is fired up and ready to take over congress, governors mansions, and state houses all over the country in 2018.

Booker is not the ideal candidate for Democrats in 2020, and it's really not hard to understand why. He's despised by the Sanders wing of the party, plain and simple. Democrats need a candidate who can please both the Sanders and Clinton wings of the party. A candidate like Elizabeth Warren, Sherrod Brown, or Jeff Merkley.

Careful. The other two are better choice but Warren may project as too far left for the palate of the electorate.

While there have been a few liberals and a few conservatives the majority of our presidents fall center right on a world wide scale.
mgop
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2017, 03:34:43 PM »

trump would win easily
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2017, 03:34:46 PM »

Careful. The other two are better choice but Warren may project as too far left for the palate of the electorate.

While there have been a few liberals and a few conservatives the majority of our presidents fall center right on a world wide scale.

She's not as far left as Sanders, and I believe Sanders would have beaten Trump.

Still, I understand where you're coming from when you say to be cautious of Warren. I agree that she'd be a weaker GE candidate compared to Brown or Merkley, but I believe she could pull it off in the right political climate.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies