If Trump goes to the Supreme Court, what will the result be?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:48:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  If Trump goes to the Supreme Court, what will the result be?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: How will the Supreme Court rule if Trump goes to it for his travel freeze? (in favor of Trump - against Trump)
8-0

7-1

6-2

5-3

4-4

3-5

2-6

1-7

0-8

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: If Trump goes to the Supreme Court, what will the result be?  (Read 1015 times)
DPKdebator
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: 3.65

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 10, 2017, 10:51:47 AM »

Since it is very likely Trump will take the 9th Circuit's ruling to the Supreme Court, how do you think it would vote in such a scenario?

I don't know what the exact number will be, but I feel that Trump will ultimately prevail because the President has the lawful ability to bar people from entering the country.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 11:55:49 AM »

Why isn't Gorsuch counted?

At this juncture, depending on the ruling, I expect either a mixed ruling nixing some parts of the EO and keeping other parts or a 5-4 ruling throwing it out and telling the moron to rewrite the EO. Kennedy, and the liberals would join in the majority decision (or Roberts would in lieu of Kennedy).
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 12:00:01 PM »

I don't think its a given that SCOTUS will take the case at this stage. They can choose not to get involved in the TRO and wait for the case to come up on the merits.

When SCOTUS does take the case, I wouldn't be surprised if they sort of split the baby with a decision striking down any application of the EO to lawful permanent residents and current Visa holders while leaving the order in place for new aliens seeking entry to the country. Yes, the President can restrict entry to the country, but he can't do so in a way that deprives those who have already been granted admission of their right to procedural due process.

Striking down the EO in its entirety probably requires a finding of religious discrimination, and I don't know that there's 5 votes for that (By the time the case comes up on the merits, Gorsuch will likely be confirmed).
DPKdebator
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: 3.65

P P P

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 02:14:15 PM »

Why isn't Gorsuch counted?

At this juncture, depending on the ruling, I expect either a mixed ruling nixing some parts of the EO and keeping other parts or a 5-4 ruling throwing it out and telling the moron to rewrite the EO. Kennedy, and the liberals would join in the majority decision (or Roberts would in lieu of Kennedy).

I don't know when Gorsuch will be confirmed (Google-fu brings up nothing), and I'm not sure that the hypothetical case would happen before or after he is confirmed.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 02:50:59 PM »

5-3, and I don't think Gorsuch will be confirmed in time.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 02:53:52 PM »

I would expect a 6-3 ruling against the travel ban, with Alito, Gorsuch (assuming he is confirmed), and Thomas dissenting.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 03:26:40 PM »

This matter is likely going to pass through the courts in a highly expedited fashion due to the high profile and time-sensitive nature of the matter at dispute. Anything else I would expect to be ruled on well after April, but I think this will end up before them very quickly.

With that said, delays are well within the realm of reason, especially considering the nature of a judicial body. An option on whether or not Gorsuch will be confirmed in time would also be interesting for a poll.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 04:53:14 PM »

I think they'll  lift any injunctions that prohibit the order from being carried out 5-3.  They may take a closer look at the details later.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 03:53:48 PM »

This matter is likely going to pass through the courts in a highly expedited fashion due to the high profile and time-sensitive nature of the matter at dispute. Anything else I would expect to be ruled on well after April, but I think this will end up before them very quickly.

With that said, delays are well within the realm of reason, especially considering the nature of a judicial body. An option on whether or not Gorsuch will be confirmed in time would also be interesting for a poll.

I think we're already seeing hints that once the 9th finds against them, the Pussygrabber regime plans on letting this EO die and writing a new one with slightly different wording.

And if they get away with that, expect it to be the pattern for the future. They'll set up an "EO shop" to push out slight variants of the same order as fast as they can be slid in front of the demented POTUS for signatures, and court rulings against them will simply be ignored.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 07:09:53 AM »

5-3 against likely.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 02:49:14 PM »

I think Trump would lose with only Thomas and Alito supporting him.
Cokeland Chastain
Rookie
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2017, 08:13:31 AM »

I'd expect a 4-4, because of the deadlock in the court.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies