Where do you stand on transgenderism?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:37:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Where do you stand on transgenderism?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: skip
It's a real thing, it's normal

It's not a real thing, it's a mental illness

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 72

Author Topic: Where do you stand on transgenderism?  (Read 2693 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2017, 09:12:50 AM »

Gender dysphoria is absolutely a mental disorder in the sense that it is literally a chemical imbalance in the brain, like depression, anxiety, etc. However, being transgender and identifying as transgender, while not a "normal" thing, is not wrong, nor should it be viewed as wrong.
This is my stance on it.
aye, me too.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2017, 09:44:20 AM »

There is only one gender, the human gender
mencken
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2017, 09:52:33 AM »

Given that such behavior seems much more prevalent now than just a few years ago suggests one or more of the following is true:

1) The behavior is and was an extremely rare (i.e. aberrant) behavior, amplified by disproportionate media exposure.
2) The behavior has increased exponentially in recent years, perhaps due to suggestion from disproportionate media exposure in otherwise credulous individuals (similar to the sudden realization that hordes of people have had undiagnosed gluten sensitivity all this time)
3) The behavior has increased exponentially in recent years due to biological or environmental factors (perhaps carbon dioxide emissions have a positive selection bias toward transgenderism?)
4) Hordes of transgendered people have remained silent about their condition from the dawn of recorded history until approximately 2013.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2017, 09:59:36 AM »

Let me demonstrate how to say this in a nice, respectful, and calm way.

I am not entirely 100% comfortable with transgenderism. I am not sure that gender identity is not a result of environmental conditioning and just biology, although I do believe there are biological roots. I fully admit to being a conservative on my personal take on transgender people in the sense that I question if they aren't being influenced by outside environmental factors in determining their gender.

Regardless of my opinions, transgender people deserve the full rights the Constitution affords them, which is the right to marry, be with whoever they want, and to have the pronoun that they are biologically at the time (if they are in transition, the future gender). They are entitled to the full respect I would give any citizen on the street.

It's not my business. It doesn't hurt anyone (e.g, the unborn). Therefore, to me, my opinion on a personal scale of transgenderism is moot and how we treat them is a matter of social respect and Constitutional deference to the rights they enjoy.

There, that is and should be the conservative response to discussing this issue.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2017, 01:48:49 PM »

Vcrew192
Rookie
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2017, 02:42:48 PM »

Regardless of my opinions, transgender people deserve the full rights the Constitution affords them, which is the right to marry, be with whoever they want, and to have the pronoun that they are biologically at the time (if they are in transition, the future gender). They are entitled to the full respect I would give any citizen on the street.

It's not my business. It doesn't hurt anyone (e.g, the unborn). Therefore, to me, my opinion on a personal scale of transgenderism is moot and how we treat them is a matter of social respect and Constitutional deference to the rights they enjoy.

Couldn't agree more. One thing that worries me though is parents who propose hormone treatment and surgery on their young children. Puberty is a confusing time for everyone and a person shouldn't be forced to make a life-altering decision at an age where they might not fully understand themselves or the matter at hand. When you turn 18 you can do whatever you want to your own body and consume whatever chemicals you and your doctor think will help your situation. Before that, I think people should take extreme caution when making life-altering decisions regarding gender.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2017, 04:31:47 PM »

I voted Option 1. I can see the case to be made that it's a disorder, but the same case can be made against homosexuality and that has not been in the DSM since the 1970s. There's really nothing wrong with being transgender.
Sven
plainstone89
Rookie
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2017, 04:54:26 PM »

I am not entirely 100% comfortable with transgenderism. I am not sure that gender identity is not a result of environmental conditioning and just biology, although I do believe there are biological roots. I fully admit to being a conservative on my personal take on transgender people in the sense that I question if they aren't being influenced by outside environmental factors in determining their gender.

There, that is and should be the conservative response to discussing this issue.

For once, I mean this completely sincerely: let's have a round for a demonstration of conservative grace and class!
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2017, 04:57:36 PM »

I suppose I'm a bit in between. Their are some people out there who think one of their legs or arms, despite being perfectly healthy, is not really "theirs" and does not belong to them. This tends to lead toward desires to remove the offending limb. IIRC a form of mirror therapy helps relieve some of the suffering, but the interesting part to me is that when questioned these people don't want to be cured of these desires. They genuinely want the arm removed, because they know it's not supposed to be part of them.

I've long wondered if Transgenderism is another form of this sort of impulse. But it's mostly a interesting thought question to me. It seems clear that most Trans folks would prefer being their desired gender than being "cured", so let them do whatever they feel they should. Even if you could find a way to treat the underlining issue(s) if any, you'd be effectively destroying these individuals identities. And I can only imagine that would lead to greater rates of depression and suicide anyway.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2017, 04:59:37 PM »

Option 1 (sane, trans girl, normal, FF)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2017, 05:41:10 PM »

This is almost literally my opinion regarding transgenderism Tongue
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2017, 06:50:03 PM »

-TD has become steadily less conservative over the year; he is now a centrist Russophobe. Blech.
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2017, 07:15:03 PM »

Option 1.

Bathrooms/locker rooms are a complicated issue that is probably best handled at the state and local level, and is a separate issue from the validity of transgenderism, which has been made very clear by science to be real, although I would support a minimum age of 16 for hormone therapy and reassignment surgery so we don't have a bunch of not-actually-transgender 10 year olds declaring themselves transgender to be cool.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2017, 08:27:04 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2017, 08:29:01 PM by TD »

-TD has become steadily less conservative over the year; he is now a centrist Russophobe. Blech.

I'm a neoliberal (in the conservative sense) center-rightist (I don't know which party) and being a Russophobe is definitely not anti-conservative. And I've held these opinions on transgender people for like several years. I understand that if conservatism isn't wearing a white sheet and burning crosses, it isn't conservatism to you, but there are  strands of conservatism that isn't centered on the orange baboon or white nationalism or sucking up to Putin.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2017, 08:45:10 PM »

Obviously the first option. Furthermore, I don't see how one can argue that transgenderism is both "not a real thing" and "a mental illness," as generally speaking things that are not real cannot also be something else.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2017, 11:53:58 PM »

Couldn't agree more. One thing that worries me though is parents who propose hormone treatment and surgery on their young children. Puberty is a confusing time for everyone and a person shouldn't be forced to make a life-altering decision at an age where they might not fully understand themselves or the matter at hand. When you turn 18 you can do whatever you want to your own body and consume whatever chemicals you and your doctor think will help your situation. Before that, I think people should take extreme caution when making life-altering decisions regarding gender.

This doesn't happen fwiw. The only medical procedure an underage will get is puberty blockers, which are not permanent.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies