SB 2017-055 - The Federal Penitentiary Reform Act of 2017 (FPRA) (Final Vote)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:51:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 2017-055 - The Federal Penitentiary Reform Act of 2017 (FPRA) (Final Vote)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SB 2017-055 - The Federal Penitentiary Reform Act of 2017 (FPRA) (Final Vote)  (Read 1519 times)
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 01, 2017, 04:45:30 AM »
« edited: March 03, 2017, 05:02:49 AM by Senator Leinad »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: (then-)President Blair (Lab-MA)

I now open a period of debate on this bill.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 07:15:11 AM »

Very nice bill
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 07:17:42 AM »

NO! My plans were lock you guys all up in Deadman Wonderland for inactivity. Evil

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 07:21:57 AM »

I actually support this.

At first glance, 3.1 concerns me. Some people are kept in solitary for their own safety.

If memory serves me, when border patrol agents Ramos and Compean were put in jail, they spent close to a year in solitary before Bush commuted their sentences. It was feared they would be attacked by prison gangs and killed if put in the general population.

There should be some way to ensure a means of protecting such prisoners who are likely to come under threat because of their careers perhaps in law enforcement or cooperation with a criminal investigation against some other person be it a drug lord or mafia boss or whatever, thus putting their lives at risk in the general population.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 07:23:59 AM »

I applaud the inclusion of mental health as well. Too many people end up in prison because of mental illness when they should be in a properly staffed and regulated mental health facility. The provision won't address that but it will help provide care and facilities for those prisoners in that category and not that suffer from mental illness.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 12:52:04 PM »

Disclaimer: Anyone who wants an enjoyable weekend should watch Orange is the New Black. I knew a bit about prison reform but binge watching that really put a human side to prisons that I'd never seen in other documentaries/TV series. Of course it's fictional/not 100% accurate/drama etc but taught me that prison is another social arena that is controlled by the government, and thus should be a concern for us.

In regards to 3.1 it refers to Solidarity confinement, rather than the protected wings of the prison where people such as cops/prison officers/sex offenders are kept   
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 02:57:57 PM »

Helping prisoners get back on their feet is an interesting idea. I would also be interested in partnering with companies to find jobs upon exiting for well-behaved prisoners, though I'm not sure how many companies would want to partner with prisons.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 06:14:15 PM »

Helping prisoners get back on their feet is an interesting idea. I would also be interested in partnering with companies to find jobs upon exiting for well-behaved prisoners, though I'm not sure how many companies would want to partner with prisons.

This is an interesting case study; and a good story

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/10266250/Timpson-has-key-to-giving-ex-convicts-second-chance.html
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 07:06:25 PM »

This is an interesting case study; and a good story

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/10266250/Timpson-has-key-to-giving-ex-convicts-second-chance.html

I like it. Part of the reason recidivism is so bad is that people come out of prison with no realistic path forward. Prison ruins your life, and even after you serve your time it is very hard to work your way out of that hole. I'll propose an amendment to Section 3.2:

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2017, 06:01:47 AM »

Just saw the amendment, not that I have the power to object as I'm no longer a Senator, but the amendment has my support
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2017, 06:21:49 AM »

Disclaimer: Anyone who wants an enjoyable weekend should watch Orange is the New Black. I knew a bit about prison reform but binge watching that really put a human side to prisons that I'd never seen in other documentaries/TV series. Of course it's fictional/not 100% accurate/drama etc but taught me that prison is another social arena that is controlled by the government, and thus should be a concern for us.

In regards to 3.1 it refers to Solidarity confinement, rather than the protected wings of the prison where people such as cops/prison officers/sex offenders are kept   

Just so long as all prisons have enough options to keep such prisoners safe, my concerns with that aspect will be satisfied.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 03:02:35 AM »

Is that supposed to be "solitary?"  I'm a little concerned about that clause too.  Maybe if it only applies to non-violent criminals.  IMO, there are certain people, like those being housed in supermax facilities, that are there for a reason.  They are pretty much monsters in human form, and I don't think it would be a good idea to constrain what prisons can do with them (as long as it's not physical torture or anything).
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 05:41:52 PM »

I would be open to exceptions as necessary for the safety of other prisoners. That is supposing that the protected wings that Blair describes would not be sufficient to address Siren's concerns.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2017, 04:41:07 AM »

I am interested in the responses to these two questions.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2017, 07:33:31 AM »

Since this amendment has gone 3 years, 7 months, and 22 days without objection, it is now adopted.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2017, 10:22:39 AM »

It was a typo on my behalf- with the amount of things I write for UK labour solidarity is my go to word.

I didn't want to ban solitary confinement completely; because as noted with violent prisoners who have outbursts you need a system to cool them down. This is why I put in the 21 day limit; in my view anything further than that is excessive. I've linked a rather good article on it below

https://www.wired.com/2013/07/solitary-confinement-2/

The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2017, 11:46:13 PM »

Not much to say about this, really.  I support the bill.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2017, 12:50:15 AM »

Okay the article was fairly convincing.  Making people go crazy in prisons isn't helping anyone.  How about this:

Federal Prison Conditions and Standards

1.) No Juvenile prisoners shall be kept in Solidarity Confinement. Prisoners over the age of 18 shall only be kept in Solidarity Confinement for up to 21 days at any one time.

2.) $20 million is hereby set aside for a pilot scheme to create non violent wings of prisons, where prisoners who've been convicted of non-violent offensives shall be housed.

3.) $200 million is hereby allocated for mental health facilitates, training for staff and treatment for prisoners with mental health conditions.

4.) All prison staff should be trained in conflict resolution, and safe, and proper restraining techniques.

5.) If a prison does not have adequately secure facilities to house criminals with a history of dangerous and violent behavior apart from solitary confinement cells, they shall be transferred to a prison that does.[/quote]
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2017, 01:48:46 PM »

That seems like a good compromise.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2017, 07:39:05 PM »

Okay the article was fairly convincing.  Making people go crazy in prisons isn't helping anyone.  How about this:

1.) No Juvenile prisoners shall be kept in Solidarity Confinement. Prisoners over the age of 18 shall only be kept in Solidarity Confinement for up to 21 days at any one time.

2.) $20 million is hereby set aside for a pilot scheme to create non violent wings of prisons, where prisoners who've been convicted of non-violent offensives shall be housed.

3.) $200 million is hereby allocated for mental health facilitates, training for staff and treatment for prisoners with mental health conditions.

4.) All prison staff should be trained in conflict resolution, and safe, and proper restraining techniques.

5.) If a prison does not have adequately secure facilities to house criminals with a history of dangerous and violent behavior apart from solitary confinement cells, they shall be transferred to a prison that does.
[/quote]

Amendment is friendly- appreciate the good work shown by the Senate here. Don't make me pull a Marco Rubio with this chamber Tongue
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2017, 07:55:21 PM »

I like this bill and it has my support.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2017, 10:03:46 AM »

Okay the article was fairly convincing.  Making people go crazy in prisons isn't helping anyone.  How about this:

5.) If a prison does not have adequately secure facilities to house criminals with a history of dangerous and violent behavior apart from solitary confinement cells, they shall be transferred to a prison that does.

Amendment is friendly- appreciate the good work shown by the Senate here. Don't make me pull a Marco Rubio with this chamber Tongue

What is that suppose to mean?
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2017, 06:26:49 AM »

With no objections, the amendment has passed.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2017, 05:24:36 AM »

I am still curious to know what BLair meant by pulling a Marco Rubio with the chamber? Tongue

LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2017, 04:37:29 PM »

I motion for a final vote on the amended bill...
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies