Protesters grill Sen. Whitehouse (D-RI) for Pompeo vote
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:06:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Protesters grill Sen. Whitehouse (D-RI) for Pompeo vote
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Protesters grill Sen. Whitehouse (D-RI) for Pompeo vote  (Read 301 times)
Shadows
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 31, 2017, 11:32:20 AM »

Organizers said more than one thousand people showed up at the senator’s town hall, held inside a Providence middle school auditorium, to denounce Whitehouse’s support for Pompeo. The venue hit its capacity of 600 people, leading the overflow crowd to chant for the senator to come outside so they could hear his explanation for the vote.

“You are entitled to an explanation of why I have voted for some of the defense nominees and I will concede right off the bat that I may have been wrong,” Whitehouse told people in the auditorium. His talk was captured in video posted by activist filmmaker Sam Eilertsen and political blogger Steve Ahlquist.

The crowd, unhappy with the response, began yelling again, and called for the senator to disclose  his positions on other Trump cabinet nominees. Whitehouse committed to voting against Betsy DeVos for education secretary, Steve Mnuchin for treasury secretary, Rex Tillerson for secretary of state, Jeff Sessions for attorney general, Scott Pruitt for EPA, and Andy Puzder for labor secretary, but said he wants to meet with Elaine Chao, Trump’s pick for transportation secretary, before making a decision.

Demonstrators, marching with signs that read “Resist Trump” and “Today It’s Muslims Tomorrow It’s You,” rallied before the event.

Whitehouse’s support for Pompeo was a focus of the anger. “This is a man who sees international politics and world history as a clash between Judeo-Christians and Muslims, who thinks Edward Snowden should be executed, who supported torture, and refused to say he thinks it is wrong to, to use Donald Trump’s terms, take out the families of accused terrorists,” said David Segal, executive director of Demand Progress, at the rally outside the event.

Activists around the country have increasingly called on Democratic lawmakers to do more to stop Trump’s nominations. Last Tuesday, more than 100 demonstrators picketed Sen. Mark Warner’s office in northern Virginia to protest the senator’s support for Pompeo. Sen. Bob Casey, D-Pa., said his office received more than 50,000 emails and letters urging him to oppose the nomination of DeVos.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 11:35:31 AM »

This is what needs to happen with the other 13 Democratic senators who voted "yes" for Pompeo as well. Dude advocates for bringing torture back.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 11:35:54 AM »

Dems are just as spineless as Republicans, if not more so.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 11:45:51 AM »

Lol. Sheldon is a Flaming Lefty.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 11:46:12 AM »

I'm not opposed to his vote but seeing Whitehouse get badgered is always good. Why are all northeastern dem senators so terrible?
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 11:50:20 AM »

And people sh**t on clueless Cenk Uygur for trying to primate some bad Dems? Good or bad, he is trying something his own way.

I can understand Manchin or Tester but why would Solid Blue State Dems vote this way? Why did Cantwell & Murray not vote for Drug Imports?

It seems the Dem base is much more active against Trump than the Senators are in leading & giving direction to people. Bernie & Warren will be 70+ in 2020, it will be good to have 4-5 strong Progressives leading in Blue states like WA, RI, MD, CT, DE ! Atleast Ted Cruz does his job for his base no matter what shi* he pulls!
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 11:51:13 AM »

I'm not opposed to his vote but seeing Whitehouse get badgered is always good. Why are all northeastern dem senators so terrible?

Reed, Shaheen, Hassan, Blumenthal and Booker arent that bad. Expect a primary challenge.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 11:55:50 AM »

They would have grilled him for any Yes vote for a Trump cabinet member.  Nothing here.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 11:57:07 AM »

Reed, Shaheen, Hassan, Blumenthal and Booker arent that bad. Expect a primary challenge.

I'm not a Booker fan, but I was mostly thinking Schumer, Warren, Murphy, Leahy, and Sanders.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2017, 12:02:40 PM »

I'm not a Booker fan, but I was mostly thinking Schumer, Warren, Murphy, Leahy, and Sanders.

Icky list. I'd add ed markey and bob menendez too.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2017, 01:27:32 PM »

Maybe it has to do with you having poor state & being out of touch?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 03:23:46 PM »

Looks like Whitehouse is never getting into the White House.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies