Most intolerant poster in the forums?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 03:58:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Most intolerant poster in the forums?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Most intolerant poster in the forums?  (Read 11009 times)
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2005, 08:02:26 PM »

The prefix 'in' means 'not', or opposite, you see, everett.

Yes, not. As in, not intolerant. Not intolerant of the other side.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2005, 08:03:10 PM »

And yet one inevitably finds oneself opposed to and in disagreement with those who disapprove of things and believe in objective morality.  A paradox!

How is that a paradox?  If you're tolerant, you tolerate things.  If you don't tolerate things, you're intolerant.  You don't tolerate things, therefore, by defintion, you're intolerant.

Being tolerant means that you accept and tolerate the fact that people around you hold opinions that you disagree with and find distasteful.  You don't have to agree with them; you just have to tolerate them. 

Ah, but you see I do tolerate them on an intellectual level.  I only want them slaughtered by lions because of the practical threat the represent, due to their intolerance.  In other words, I'm arguing self defence, not objective morality.
Wanting people killed doesn't seem like tolerance to me, you intolerant prude.

*sits back and eats popcorn*

wow! just wow! opebo is getting helplessly ass-raped

Ahha!  I thought you secretly had such fantasies, you closeted homophobic. Smiley
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2005, 08:03:29 PM »

And yet one inevitably finds oneself opposed to and in disagreement with those who disapprove of things and believe in objective morality.  A paradox!

How is that a paradox?  If you're tolerant, you tolerate things.  If you don't tolerate things, you're intolerant.  You don't tolerate things, therefore, by defintion, you're intolerant.

Being tolerant means that you accept and tolerate the fact that people around you hold opinions that you disagree with and find distasteful.  You don't have to agree with them; you just have to tolerate them. 

Ah, but you see I do tolerate them on an intellectual level.  I only want them slaughtered by lions because of the practical threat the represent, due to their intolerance.  In other words, I'm arguing self defence, not objective morality.

Actually they bring it on themselves, through their intolerance.  Do you think that a tolerant must allow murderers to go free?  I say no, he must merely refrain from making the claim that they are 'bad'.
And how have these 'intolerants' directly harmed you through their intolerance?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2005, 08:04:30 PM »

"To tolerate" means "to tolerate", and not "not to tolerate".  Tolerating something involves allowing it to be without interfering.  Therefore, as you are not doing so, you are, by definition, being intolerant.  Being intolerant of someone who is intolerant does not make you tolerant in some sort of "double negative".  Two wrongs don't make a right.

By being tolerant one must inevitably be in conflict with the intolerant - one is making the claim that their intolerance is invalid.  And by the way there is no objective right or wrong, whether one or two.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2005, 08:05:46 PM »

Actually they bring it on themselves, through their intolerance.  Do you think that a tolerant must allow murderers to go free?  I say no, he must merely refrain from making the claim that they are 'bad'.

Well, obviously the primary way is through the theocratic government that has ruled this country for pretty much all of its history.  Also of course their intolerance is an insult to me and to anyone of whom they disapprove.
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2005, 08:06:55 PM »

Well, obviously the primary way is through the theocratic government that has ruled this country for pretty much all of its history.  Also of course their intolerance is an insult to me and to anyone of whom they disapprove.
You're avoiding the question. Give me specific examples.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2005, 08:09:35 PM »

"To tolerate" means "to tolerate", and not "not to tolerate".  Tolerating something involves allowing it to be without interfering.  Therefore, as you are not doing so, you are, by definition, being intolerant.  Being intolerant of someone who is intolerant does not make you tolerant in some sort of "double negative".  Two wrongs don't make a right.

By being tolerant one must inevitably be in conflict with the intolerant - one is making the claim that their intolerance is invalid.  And by the way there is no objective right or wrong, whether one or two.

Feeling that someone else is wrong does not make you automatically in conflict with that person.  If you're tolerant, you will leave the person alone with his or her opinions and will not attempt to interfere.  If you're not, you will attempt to force your own opinions on that person.

Now then, which of these two are you doing?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2005, 08:10:34 PM »

The funny thing, little opebo, is that you're defending a point that doesn't exist. Simply show us where in the dictionary it says that in order to be tolerant, you must wish death upon those you consider intolerant. Furthermore, if there is no objective right or wrong, there is no objective definition of tolerance or intolerance, thus rendering your self-label of 'tolerant' worthless.

The dictionary is hardly going to outline a program for political action, everrett..
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2005, 08:11:50 PM »

Feeling that someone else is wrong does not make you automatically in conflict with that person.  If you're tolerant, you will leave the person alone with his or her opinions and will not attempt to interfere.  If you're not, you will attempt to force your own opinions on that person.

Now then, which of these two are you doing?

Neither!  I am attempting to prevent him from forcing his opinions upon me and others - preferable through the lion method, but if necessary by less picturesque means.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2005, 08:12:56 PM »

Neither!  I am attempting to prevent him from forcing his opinions upon me and others - preferable through the lion method, but if necessary by less picturesque means.

So, in other words, you're not tolerating what you perceive the other person as wanting to do.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2005, 08:23:37 PM »

His opinions, which are perfectly correct by your standards of 'objective morality'.

I have no fantasies of objective morality. 

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Nothing I have said has implied any preference for a particularl 'way of life', nor an condemnation of another.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

What do you mean 'trolling'?  And I wish I were in Thailand - I'm stuck in this horrific land for another couple of months.  [/quote]
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2005, 08:28:44 PM »

As Everett just tagged me, I'm in for this round.

opebo - you show yourself to be intolerant to the nth degree with your stances against anyone who doesn't agree with you. You just don't believe you're being intolerant because they disagree with you. In reality, you're an extremely hate filled person, even for those you claim to speak for.
KillerPollo
Mexico

Political Matrix
E: -3.15, S: -0.82

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2005, 08:31:16 PM »

opebo - you show yourself to be intolerant to the nth degree with your stances against anyone who doesn't agree with you. You just don't believe you're being intolerant because they disagree with you. In reality, you're an extremely hate filled person, even for those you claim to speak for.

Opebo is a repressed hatemonger.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2005, 08:31:44 PM »

No, Jake, I hate them for their intolerance.  
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2005, 08:33:27 PM »

Then you're not tolerant.
KillerPollo
Mexico

Political Matrix
E: -3.15, S: -0.82

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2005, 08:33:56 PM »

hate of intolerants = intolerance.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2005, 10:52:47 PM »

haha! pollo and phillip - now I know I'm tolerant!
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2005, 10:54:13 PM »

So, you hate them because they disagree with you. You could've just agreed with my post saying the same thing.

Pot, kettle, black
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2005, 10:56:53 PM »

definetly ilikeverin.

j/k Cheesy

however,  i must say that i dont think that Opebo is the most intolerant poster. is he intolerant? absolutely. the most intolerant? no way. from the times ive debated him, hes always been very respectable. (But ive seen him be disrespectful his fair share of times Wink)
MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2005, 11:02:24 PM »

From wikipedia (not the best source, but good enough for this argument I suppose)

"Tolerance is a social, cultural and religious term applied to the collective and individual practice of not persecuting those who may believe, behave or act in ways of which one may not approve."

Ah yes, opebo: a hallmark of tolerance.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2005, 11:04:50 PM »

So, you hate them because they disagree with you. You could've just agreed with my post saying the same thing.

No, no I hate them because they are a threat, and also making a stupid, patently erroneous claim.  One may disagree about what one likes, but when one makes a claim that what one likes is objectively better, or right, or moral, one is a danger, as well as a fool.

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #71 on: July 22, 2005, 11:06:39 PM »

From wikipedia (not the best source, but good enough for this argument I suppose)

"Tolerance is a social, cultural and religious term applied to the collective and individual practice of not persecuting those who may believe, behave or act in ways of which one may not approve."

Ah, but the practice of tolerance requires preventing the intolerant from gaining and utilizing political power to impose their intolerance.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2005, 11:06:48 PM »

You claim that they are intolerant, yes? Why do you use your morality to call them intolerant? That seems rather hypocritical.
MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #73 on: July 22, 2005, 11:07:45 PM »

Ah, but the practice of tolerance requires preventing the intolerant from gaining and utilizing political power to impose their intolerance.

By throwing them to the lions, I assume?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #74 on: July 22, 2005, 11:12:49 PM »

You claim that they are intolerant, yes? Why do you use your morality to call them intolerant? That seems rather hypocritical.

The term 'intolerant' has nothing to do with morality.  It is merely descriptive, not a value judgement.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies