Trump's first military raid kills 30 civilians
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2024, 08:51:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump's first military raid kills 30 civilians
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Trump's first military raid kills 30 civilians  (Read 748 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 30, 2017, 02:22:25 PM »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/donald-trump-us-military-attack-yemen-civilians-women-children-dead-a7553121.html
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 02:26:59 PM »

Do you think he'll drop more bombs than Obama's 26,171 from last year?
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 02:28:53 PM »

And here we see the rare Antiwar Leftist come out of its 8 year hibernation
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 02:29:34 PM »

This is disgusting and a war crime, but it happened under Obama as well. I didn't hear you complain about it back then. 
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 02:30:14 PM »

Pretend-President Pussygrabber, doing what he promised: murdering women and children.

I hope, probably uselessly, that when the families of Pussygrabber's cult start dying as a result of his actions they'll direct their anger appropriately.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 02:30:28 PM »

The death of any innocent person is abhorrent and reprehensible. They are not "collateral damage," they are murdered human beings; mothers, fathers, sons, daughters, cousins, grandparents, grandchildren, wife, husband, friend, lover. They had only one life given to them and it was abruptly, cruelly, and unnecessarily taken from them. Where's the fairness and justice in that? Where's the humanity in it? What if it was someone you loved? If people think America has a serious reputation and terrorist problem now, just wait. With every civilian killed, law targeting Muslims enacted, and rhetoric spoken against Islam, more terrorists are born. Things are going to get much, much worse.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 02:30:35 PM »

The irony is that Beet is probably the most hawkish red avatar here.

As Bill Clinton once said, America would rather be strong and wrong than weak and right. That's why we didn't intervene when 200,000 Syrians were massacred, out of fear it would strengthen ISIS's hand. Why would we care about a few thousand refugees/immigrants/visitors?
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 02:31:32 PM »

A lot of us have been critical of Obama for this.  I didn't vote for him in 2012 specifically because of how he handled the drone program.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 02:31:46 PM »

Unless you can show proof that a Democrat would not have signed off on this, it's hard to attack Trump on it.

Believe me I'd love to stretch this out over months, call it Yemengazi, and force Trump to testify before Congress, but it won't happen.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 02:33:16 PM »

Unfortunately, this is true. Where were the anti-war protests under Obama? He dramatically expanded Bush's drone war program and few spoke against it. It seems it's only fashionable or acceptable to oppose war when it's conducted by a Republican. Personally, I'm not opposed to all military interventions (such as our intervention against the Bosnian genocide), but things like this are horrific and damnable.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 02:41:04 PM »

Unfortunately, this is true. Where were the anti-war protests under Obama? He dramatically expanded Bush's drone war program and few spoke against it. It seems it's only fashionable or acceptable to oppose war when it's conducted by a Republican. Personally, I'm not opposed to all military interventions (such as our intervention against the Bosnian genocide), but things like this are horrific and damnable.

I agree with this, except for the Bosnia part. It is completely unreasonable to expect a sensible foreign policy from any American president, whether they're a Democrat or a Republican. It's disgusting and sad.

What don't you agree with on the Bosnia part? That a genocide occurred or that we were right intervening to stop it?
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 02:48:15 PM »

There's no greater divide between both parties and the people they're supposed to represent than foreign policy. I don't know anyone who likes America's current role in the world, but both parties seem committed to America's troops  being a world police for the foreseeable future.

Before 1980, not a single US soldier had died in the Middle East. Since 1980, we haven't had a soldier that has been killed anywhere BUT the Middle East. And for all the blood spilled over it, it doesn't seem like we've made any sort of progress. In fact, everything is generally worse.

When Trump was gaining steam the one real hope I had was that maybe he'd rethink foreign policy so that America could become less gung-ho about fighting endless battles. I don't think my hopes will be rewarded.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2017, 02:54:38 PM »

This is disgusting and a war crime, but it happened under Obama as well. I didn't hear you complain about it back then. 
Yes. I miss having a President who thought that things like spying on Americans, torture, and murder-by-airstrike were things to be ashamed of and kept hidden,  instead of publicly celebrated, joked about, and pardoned.

(Maybe I should start hoping that Trump or Cruz does win; while it would be terrible for the nation, it would also be a bitterly hilarious comeuppance for Obama to be hauled off to a black site and then shot on the new President's say-so.)

This leftist did.

Obama (or Hillary) were preferable to Pussygrabber simply because of how incredibly awfully WORSE he appeared to be. A judgement he is now demonstrating to be extremely accurate.
They not like us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2017, 03:00:31 PM »

This. It was equally as awful when BO did it.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2017, 03:06:45 PM »

There were Democrats who were vocally critical of Obama's foreign policy, though Democrats in Congress certainly didn't speak up against it. I guess it's just a case of it being easier to recognize and attack horrible actions and attitudes on "the other side" than it is on your own side. This is terrible, regardless of who is in charge, though it is a dose of reality for those hoping that Trump would be some sort of dove.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2017, 04:35:21 PM »

Obama will have more collateral damage under his watch than The Donald will under his.....just a guess.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2017, 04:46:49 PM »

Obama will have more collateral damage under his watch than The Donald will under his.....just a guess.

Well Obama had two terms worth of war, and Trump's only getting one, so yeah I'll take that bet.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2017, 04:52:34 PM »

The first casualty of war is the truth.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2017, 06:15:52 PM »

The irony is that Beet is probably the most hawkish red avatar here.

As Bill Clinton once said, America would rather be strong and wrong than weak and right. That's why we didn't intervene when 200,000 Syrians were massacred, out of fear it would strengthen ISIS's hand. Why would we care about a few thousand refugees/immigrants/visitors?

Is it really hawkishness if I support intervention for humanitarian reasons? Perhaps, but I think it comes from a fundamentally different place than typical hawks who support war due to military bravado or exaggerated threat perception. I think I'm actually very dovish.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2017, 06:25:46 PM »

Trump is what we always wanted when we think with our dicks in the proverbial since. We will let our pubescent minds free on the world for 4 to 8 years. Let's hope we survive it.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2017, 06:31:24 PM »

Awlaki's 8-year-old daughter was among the dead.

What is it with the US military killing his family?
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2017, 07:16:21 PM »

-"You gotta take out their families" -Trump
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2017, 12:16:10 AM »

The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2017, 12:19:26 AM »

Ugly but essential when waging war on radical Islam. Obama was effective at it and I suppose so will Trump. That said nothing to celebrate that we have to do it this way.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2017, 02:02:45 AM »

-"You gotta take out their families" -Trump

Neither do good people take their children into war zones.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies