anyone think the only way teachers unions can work
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:30:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  anyone think the only way teachers unions can work
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: anyone think the only way teachers unions can work  (Read 230 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 27, 2017, 04:42:29 PM »

is if the school in question meets state benchmarks? My view is this - teachers unions should only be allowed in schools that meet state benchmarks because if schools that don't meet state benchmarks are allowed to have teachers to unionize - then it allows them to stuff the school with more bad students - which will lead to a need for more $$$ and to hire more teaching assistants, which will create a self-reinforcing mechanism to hire more and more people to unionize.

An example is in this 20 minute speech: http://hlmenckenclub.org/hlmc-audio/2014-bob-weissberg-the-left-and-education
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 05:04:47 PM »

The problem with this is that if schools which are struggling cannot offer their teachers union membership, very few people will even want to work there, which would pretty much doom those schools to complete failure. I agree that it's a problem when schools that aren't meeting benchmarks are allowed to just proceed the way that they always do without some change in policy or administration, but I don't think getting rid of unions for those teachers is the way to go.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 05:14:24 PM »

I don't think that punishing schools that do poorly by further stripping them of resources and incentives to work in them somehow makes them better schools, no. (Also "stuff the school with more bad students" wtf. Do you understand what the point of public education is?)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 05:20:06 PM »

The "benchmarks" in question tend to be utterly arbitrary and destroy the real purpose of what school should be, so this is a terrible idea.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 05:36:59 PM »

I don't think that punishing schools that do poorly by further stripping them of resources and incentives to work in them somehow makes them better schools, no. (Also "stuff the school with more bad students" wtf. Do you understand what the point of public education is?)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies