Opinion of Queer Theory
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:03:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Queer Theory
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: What do you think about the Queer Theory?
freedom theory

horrible theory

I don't have any opinion

I have never heard about it

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 56

Author Topic: Opinion of Queer Theory  (Read 1810 times)
buritobr
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 25, 2017, 04:48:27 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queer_theory
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 06:24:37 PM »

Interesting subject for sure. On the one hand I support people being free to express themselves as they want and to be who they are. On the other hand I feel that the notion of "queerness" has impeded acceptance of LGBT people, and radical gay activism has made it harder for people in non-accepting environments to come out (even if it has also helped push the Overton window and forced society to think about gay issues in the first place, which has caused progress and made it easier for people to come out). A mixed opinion, I guess. Most people in this field are undoubtedly HPs (though HPs with whom I can have an interesting conversation), but I'm not going to brand the theory itself that way.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 07:53:42 PM »

Of course a group of straight white privileged cis-men would hate it.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 08:32:18 PM »

HT has four votes.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 08:37:23 PM »

HT has four votes.

More the Zero FT votes(before me). At the time, disregarding "never heard of it", it made a large majority, with "don't care" coming in second.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 08:41:01 PM »

HT, or rather, who care?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 08:43:26 PM »

There's an enormous diversity within it, all the way from "jsyk plenty of societies have more than two gender roles" to "IF YOU DON'T SUPPORT ADDING AROMANTIC HETEROSEXUALS TO ~THE ACRONYM~ YOU'RE COMPLICIT IN GENOCIDE". Voted HT because I've had personally iffy experiences with it, but it's not uniformly bad and some of its more helpful insights have been rightly imported into more august fields.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 09:03:26 PM »

Roll Eyes
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 09:06:45 PM »

If you're cis, straight and white, there is no reason to believe they're privileged.

Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 09:25:58 PM »

It has its positives and negatives. I'm taking a gender and communications course, and overall, it's rather inoffensive when you look at it academically. When the New Left starts taking it over, it goes downhill.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2017, 09:51:35 PM »

If you're cis, straight and white, there is no reason to believe they're privileged.

I'm bisexual, and I don't think this "privilege" nonsense is a legitimate thing to whine about.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2017, 09:59:50 PM »

Meh
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2017, 10:04:58 PM »

As a liberal Sociology student, obviously I'm going to vote FT.
Arturo Belano

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.43

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2017, 10:43:28 PM »

With my personal encounters it's insightful stuff, though it can be hit or miss depending the circumstances. FT
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2017, 11:41:29 PM »

Huh basic atlas stereotypes Alice: everybody here is gay.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2017, 06:28:40 AM »

Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2017, 06:33:18 AM »

I'm bisexual, and I don't think this "privilege" nonsense is a legitimate thing to whine about.

I agree with you, a person being cis, straight, male and white, there's no reason to why because of that, they're privelleged. I'm sure these people in Rural, Appalachian KY, WV, are very very privileged.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2017, 06:56:21 AM »

I agree with you, a person being cis, straight, male and white, there's no reason to why because of that, they're privelleged. I'm sure these people in Rural, Appalachian KY, WV, are very very privileged.

Remember Intell, privilege is 100% identity and 0% anything else. Roll Eyes
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2017, 07:22:15 AM »

Of course they are. If you are a white, cis-gendered straight male in America, then being poor is your fault. Why don't you work harder you lazy hick?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2017, 02:47:03 PM »
« Edited: January 26, 2017, 02:50:33 PM by Virginia »

Still, even if that context, a gay black man in rural Appalachian Kentucky might still say his straight, white neighbor has more 'privilege,' even if both are in dire straights economically. There is always going to be some form of social hierarchy. In some ways I'm tempted to be sympathetic to the straight white rural Appalachian man who says its an insult to say he has some sort of privilege when he constantly struggles to feed his family in a world that has seemingly forgotten them, but to gay non-white person in the same region and same economic situation, the fact that they have to deal with numerous forms of bigotry on top of that might, imo, correctly lead them to see those white folks as having advantages that elevate themselves above others. Even as someone who is white but LGBT, I can understand the potential for resentment as straight people are insulated from a good deal of psychological (and sometimes physical) hardship in their lives that lgbt people often go through. Even more so for someone who is not white.

However, I still assert that even if you do think these folks have some sort of privilege, it's probably counter-productive to constantly try and remind them of that, considering they have some understandable reasons to believe they don't have any privilege - not when you're barely scraping by day to day, or maybe have gone through their own personal hell growing up.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2017, 02:49:31 PM »

I mean, you're also white, male, and presumably affluent.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2017, 05:51:53 PM »

My sentiments are increasingly negative, and I wish that it were easier to discuss these things without critical thoughts or skepticism being interpreted as an attack on someone's human dignity. (Sort of a broad topic for a poll, though, isn't it?)

It's a convenient defense mechanism for the ideology; criticisms of it can be dismissed as bigoted and ignorant attacks on the people placed under its aegis. As someone who values discourse, I have an instinctively negative reaction to any ideology where a response of this kind is proffered as an actual argument:

Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2017, 07:30:08 PM »

Still, even if that context, a gay black man in rural Appalachian Kentucky might still say his straight, white neighbor has more 'privilege,' even if both are in dire straights economically. There is always going to be some form of social hierarchy. In some ways I'm tempted to be sympathetic to the straight white rural Appalachian man who says its an insult to say he has some sort of privilege when he constantly struggles to feed his family in a world that has seemingly forgotten them, but to gay non-white person in the same region and same economic situation, the fact that they have to deal with numerous forms of bigotry on top of that might, imo, correctly lead them to see those white folks as having advantages that elevate themselves above others. Even as someone who is white but LGBT, I can understand the potential for resentment as straight people are insulated from a good deal of psychological (and sometimes physical) hardship in their lives that lgbt people often go through. Even more so for someone who is not white.

However, I still assert that even if you do think these folks have some sort of privilege, it's probably counter-productive to constantly try and remind them of that, considering they have some understandable reasons to believe they don't have any privilege - not when you're barely scraping by day to day, or maybe have gone through their own personal hell growing up.

Of course, the black gay man in Appalachia if he is poor in Appalachia, is more disprivelleged than the poor, white man in Appalachia, but let's not say there is inherently privilege because you're white, male and cis, because there's not.

The poorest counties in the country, include the Missipi Delta (90+% blacks), and Eastern Coal Mining KY (95+% white.)
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2017, 07:46:09 PM »

Of course there are straight white men in America who have it hard, no doubt harder than someone like Oprah Winfrey. I can't think of anyone I know who would deny that. Just saying that they're "privileged" and leaving it at that doesn't do their situation justice, and no doubt pushes a lot of people away. However, I do think that there are certain attitudes that, by and large, only people of color have to deal with in this country.

For example, imagine a white people being incredibly rude in a public place like a bus. People would judge that person, but they would likely judge them as an individual. If a black person were doing the same thing, there would likely be people who would make judgments about all black people, rather than just that one individual. Also, while the impoverished white coal miner in West Virginia has plenty to worry about, he doesn't have to think about race. For many people of color, thinking about race is not a choice. They are constantly made aware of the fact that they are different, even by people who do not have bad intentions. Having lived in a country where I was a racial minority, I can tell you that those in a "majority" group, including the many people who are not bigoted at all, often have no idea what it's like to be in the minority.

Now, to answer the question posed in this topic, I'd say that my opinion is mixed. I probably agree with a good amount of Queer Theory, though the way some people sell/deliver it does end up turning off a lot of people.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2017, 08:40:56 PM »

You clearly haven't been here long...
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies