The Crusader (An Interview with Scott)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 11:56:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Crusader (An Interview with Scott)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10
Author Topic: The Crusader (An Interview with Scott)  (Read 17683 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: September 23, 2017, 05:13:16 PM »

Going for the kill:
Exclusive images of Speaker Yankee preparing a striking posting barrage last night

Or you could just watch Hellsing Ultimate Abridged episode 3 from like 10:25 onwards.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #101 on: September 23, 2017, 05:22:11 PM »

All I did "was go for a walk"
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #102 on: September 23, 2017, 05:25:03 PM »

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/walk_in_the_snow
Yankee is really Pierre Trudeau's ghost. CONFIRMED!
Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #103 on: September 23, 2017, 06:09:38 PM »

The full phrase is actually "Very enthusiastic walk", and has no connection with the Canadian phrase of which you speak.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #104 on: September 23, 2017, 06:15:33 PM »

I will only believe you if Pierre Trudeau's ghost does an AMA on the forum. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #105 on: September 23, 2017, 06:36:11 PM »

I will only believe you if Pierre Trudeau's ghost does an AMA on the forum. Tongue

Well at least that false narrative has some creativity to it. Tongue
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #106 on: September 24, 2017, 12:24:53 AM »

For the record, The Crusader will be suspended as long as I am a Presidential Candidate, the conflict of interest would be too blatant, even for me. I hope I'll get to publish the Simfan interview though.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #107 on: September 24, 2017, 09:31:54 PM »

A interview with Simfan: (I)
Lumine and Simfan sit down to discuss the past Federalist Primary and other political events

Lumine: Mr. Simfan, thanks for joining us, it’s been a long time.

Simfan: It’s been a long time indeed, Lumine-- too long! As for what I’ve been up to, I’ve spent the past few years as a fellow at the Hoover Institution at Stanford. I’ve also had the chance to take part in a couple of exciting ventures, particularly as non-executive chairman of the board of Woolsthorpe Partners, which is a British venture capital firm that invests in renewable energy startups, particularly in emerging economies-- solar in India, waste-to-energy in Ethiopia, geothermal in Kenya and Northern England. So I’ve not wanted for things to do.

Lumine: The most relevant issue at the moment is, of course, the contentious Federalist Primary. What do you make of the present situation?

Simfan: Well, since that now appear to be just about over, I have to register my obvious disappointment with the outcome. The polls showed Oakvale had considerable support and that the race was competitive. Of course, this was considerably at variance with the final outcome. I don’t wish to call the results into doubt, especially given Oakvale’s gracious concession, but I do feel that the fairly sudden change in the primary timetable, compounded by the independent reports of attempted Russian interference, could have had an effect on turnout, even if this impact might not be directly discernible.

I was disappointed to see the level of vitriol coming from Sen. Yankee, who of course is someone I respect immensely-- even if we’ve had our disagreements over the years. In fairness, you had vitriol and recriminations being traded on both sides, which is why I felt the need to put out a statement on my own part to try and de-escalate the situation. I had people on both sides reach out to me and express their appreciation for that effort on my part, and in the end I think everyone saw reason and recognized the imperative to maintain a united front going into the general election. That’s why you saw, as I said, such a magnanimous concession from Oakvale, which I think reflects the seriousness in which he made his bid, contrary to the claims of some of his critics.

Lumine: I feel bound to ask, what is your opinion of both President fhtagn and Mr. Oakvale?

Simfan: Well, let me start with the easier half of that question-- Oakvale is a personal friend of mine and a long time political associate. We stood side by side in both iterations of The People’s Party and he in particular was instrumental to success of the Pacific Recovery, which paved the way for today’s Fremont Region. When I learnt that he would be running for President my support was immediate and automatic. I hope he can return to a higher profile role in Atlasian political life, and I would look forward to supporting him if he does so.

As for the President, I recognize and admire the historic nature of her Presidency as Atlasia’s first woman President. I think she is someone with a fundamental sense of duty and good political sense, a compassionate person as well as a savvy political operator. I don’t know her particularly well on a personal level, but from what I have seen I can say that much.

That being said,there are some parts of her record, some unanswered questions that prevented me from supporting her in the primary, even if I were to look at that independent of my support for Oakvale. The President was, as we all know, once a member of the Labor Party and was elected to public office in the South as such. I am convinced-- and I do not say this lightly-- that there remain legitimate questions about her commitment to the values of the Federalist Party, and, more importantly (to a certain extent I am in no position to judge her commitment to the values of the Federalist Party, having spent no portion of my political career as a member)  towards a set of values that could reasonably be called conservative.

Before joining the Federalists she espoused a set of political views that placed her well left of center, if not on the far left! While professing a change of views she has been rather vague on what those new views actually are, while freely continuing to denounce several viewpoints common amongst those who do hold right-of-center politics. There is a valid question as to whether her political transformation had less to do with ideological principles and more to do with her personal support for former president DFW. Now, it’s to be expected that any leader will, to a certain extent, bring their own people with them when they come into office, and avoiding excessive partisanship in doing so is laudable.  But if that is the case, we are entitled to openness and forthrightness about it, just as we were entitled to a fully informed decision during the primaries.

I will say, on a personal, I still remain deeply shaken by the political desertion of former Governor Ted Bessell, who was able to take advantage of the strong base for pragmatic and right-of-center politics--and I feel I can make such a proud claim-- I had built in Pacific during my tenure as governor. This was the political base that enabled me to be re-elected three times as governor, and it in turn enabled his election. To see him cross over in such a matter felt, on a certain level, like a personal betrayal, and as such I am keen for us to avoid a repeat performance-- which is why the President must be honest with the Atlasian people.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #108 on: September 24, 2017, 09:34:22 PM »

A interview with Simfan: (II)

Lumine: And how would you imagine a full term with either of them on the White House?

Simfan: Well, the interesting  thing is that the Labor standard-bearer in this election is Harry Truman, who I think it can be agreed, regardless of political affiliation, is a statesman of the first rank and eminently qualified for the office-- having already previously served as Acting President. Without clarification on the President’s part, we cannot know if the Federalists would be sending a sort of crypto-leftist, or even some left-leaning libertarian, to the White House, and at that level, it is almost preferable to have the genuine article. I cannot say what shape another term for the incumbent President would take. Only she can make that clear.

Given the extraordinarily tumultuous situation on the global stage right now, our need for clarity should be immediately apparent to anyone. The fact that I cannot say what I would expect from this President if she were to be re-elected does not particularly inspire confidence.

Lumine: Moving onto local affairs, Simfan, any thoughts on the present situation of Fremont? Are we moving on the right direction?

Simfan: Well, I think the West could use a breath of fresh air, a more competitive political environment, and a strengthening of the leadership ladder that attracts new talent and spurs activity. From my experience I can say that the greatest threat to political health is ossification, complacency, a sense that there are no stakes involved in regional politics and as such no reason to remain engaged.

I think there is good leadership in the West, the potential is already there-- it just needs to be activated, so to speak.

Lumine: And of course, I simply have to ask this. What is the future for Simfan in Atlasia? Do you see a run for office in the future?

Simfan: When you and I first started talking about this interview, I had no such plans. But since then, as you can see, there’s been a groundswell of support for my election to the regional legislature. I put my name forward not really thinking it would go anywhere, but I couldn’t have been more wrong. While, as of when we held this interview, I don’t know which way the election will go, I can say I have a newfound interest in delving into the political life of my region, doing my part to address its most pressing issues. Regardless of the election’s outcome, I can say I am interested in holding regional office in future.

Lumine: Mr. Simfan, thank you very much for this interview.

Simfan: Thanks for having me, Lumine.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #109 on: September 24, 2017, 09:36:11 PM »

And that's all for The Crusader until at least a month, until I either return to be a normal citizen or return in triumph to the White House (one can dream).
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #110 on: September 25, 2017, 12:46:58 AM »

Actually the modern poling techniques used by both Wells and AZ captured roughly the same level of support for Fhtagn as the final result. At least one of them had a sample size roughly similar to the turnout.

I don't want to re litigate the past, but I think a critical error was made in trying to defined this primary based on establishment versus anti-establishment and cash in on some kind of simmering "anti-leadership" resentment that isn't there. The last time Wells did a comprehensive poll, I had 95% approval among Federalists for my work in Congress, and similar overall numbers on favorables if memory serves me.

I feel for Simfan I really do, I have been caught between two people that don't get along before (Duke-Jbrase and Duke - Dallasfan and for a long time Duke-Tmth). It is not fun, I wish to apologize for making things difficult for him and I meant what I said when I appreciated his comments calling for calm and careful analysis.

As Party Chairman, people like to see me as this passive bystander who rarely engages, is out of the loop and often lets things slide. The truth of the matters is that I care a lot, I remember my inability to defend Lumine from Adam and Windjammer back in 2014. Perhaps I got a little zealous in the other direction the other night, but I am going to defend Federalists from false attacks and false narratives. It wasn't right for Lumine to take that kind of in coming back then and it is just as not right for Fhtagn to take that either, and some of which is just plain nasty and terrible, This time I intend to try and defend Federalists from such attacks.

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #111 on: October 23, 2017, 11:00:07 AM »

With the election over, The Crusader is making a full return! We're also looking to make our first post-election interview, so anyone interested please feel free to send me a PM.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #112 on: October 23, 2017, 08:35:51 PM »

We have our first interviews on the works! First we'll be interviewing Lincoln Lt. Governor Kyc, to be followed by Lincoln Senator R2D2. Stay tuned!
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #113 on: October 23, 2017, 08:43:46 PM »

We have our first interviews on the works! First we'll be interviewing Lincoln Lt. Governor Kyc, to be followed by Lincoln Senator R2D2. Stay tuned!

Well...that may be interesting.
Keep cool-idge
Benjamin Harrison he is w
United States

« Reply #114 on: October 23, 2017, 09:49:57 PM »

Sweet can’t wait.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #115 on: October 23, 2017, 10:29:35 PM »

I demand an interview in the near future!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #116 on: October 23, 2017, 11:34:25 PM »
« Edited: October 23, 2017, 11:44:57 PM by Lumine »

A interview with Lt. Gov. Kyc:
Thoughts on Lincoln and Party Politics

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Lumine: Lt. Governor, I’m glad to be able to speak to you today. What are your thoughts on falling short of reelection this election cycle? Was this development expected?

Kyc: Honestly, I believed I would win. I believed that the people of Lincoln would return me for another two months—perhaps, partially, out of hubris, but also because I felt that I had been performing as well as I had ever been before. Yet as the results came in, and my placement on the ballot was increasingly downward—second, third, and fourth preferences, with very few firsts—I took the time to reflect, and realized that I could have been more transparent and involved.

Lumine: Clearly one of the most contentious issues right now is that of the Lincoln Senate Election, which you certified as a formal tie. How has it felt for you personally to be in charge of this complex decision?

Kyc: It’s a stressful concept, to be sure. But all I can do, in my capacity as lieutenant governor, is follow the rules as I interpret them, and work with my staff to ensure that every valid vote was counted. Senator 20RP12 is within his right to stage a legal challenge, but now, it’s up to the courts. I will do my part to make sure that everything is resolved peacefully and legally, but this has been transferred out of my hands now.

Lumine: And in a more general sense, what does this say for Lincoln and for Atlasia?

Kyc: None of the pundits expected Cinyc to get anywhere close to tying the election. It says that Lincoln is not a one-party state, and we, as an Atlasian people, have a desire to remain politically conscious and challenge incumbents at every turn. We want to have a discussion on the future, both at local and federal levels. Furthermore, I also think the resolution of this election will show that we’re a people of law and order: either the senator will be re-elected, or there will be a peaceful transfer of power.

Lumine: The Presidential Election is just over, and it was quite a ride. Would you mind giving us your thoughts on it, Lt. Governor?

Kyc: It’s no secret that Prime Minister Truman and I have our disagreements, as anyone who followed Blair’s rather contentious confirmation debate saw. Ultimately, my priority is to vote for a presidential candidate who will lead Atlasia with skill, humility, and grace. It doesn’t matter to me which party they’re registered with, or if they’re registered with any party at all: as long as I agree with their platform, and approve of their conduct, I will support them. I ended up voting for you, and even though we also have disagreements of a different, more policy-based nature, I respect your status as a senior statesman.

Lumine: As we know, you are a registered independent. What motivates you not to form part of the Federalist Party or the Labor Party?

Kyc: I look at the state of partisan politics in this country, and I see discontent. There’s bitterness, polarization, and infighting within each of these groups. And whenever a legitimate third party is formed, with the intention of breaking up the status quo, they inevitably get swallowed up into the Federalists or Labor.

Now, considering the last election results, it’s clear that Labor has some serious soul-searching to do, but even then, that leaves the Federalists in a startlingly powerful position. Ours is not a dominant-party state, nor should it be. I do my part against the squabbling and rancor by choosing not to buy into such a corrupted party system.

Lumine: Finally, what do you think the future has in store for you? Could this defeat be just the beginning of a comeback?

Kyc: I’m not ruling anything out. As I said in my post-election statement, I’m not moving back to New Jersey and retiring for good. I’ve just paid another month’s rent for my apartment here in the Lincoln capital, New York City, and I’ve already been offered opportunities to lecture at some of the city’s most respected universities. And who knows what else will come down the pipeline?

Additionally, I’ll be following both local and national politics closely, and I’ll keep in touch with the many colleagues I’ve come to know. If I see an opportunity to run for office, and I feel my skills and abilities are needed, I will not hesitate. But in any case, you’ll see me around. Maybe this loss is even a disguised partial blessing. There are some great movie theaters, restaurants, and other hotspots in my neighborhood, and until now, I’ve been too busy to really check a lot of them out

Lumine: Lt. Gov. thanks for speaking with me.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #117 on: October 23, 2017, 11:43:51 PM »

A interview with Senator R2D2:
Discussing the Senate and being Independent

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Lumine: Senator, it is good to see you. Thanks for this interview.

R2D2: Thank you for having me! I appreciate this opportunity.

Lumine: Given that the unexpectedly close Lincoln Senate Election was certified into a tie, I might say we’re in for some interesting times. What are your thoughts on this process so far?

R2D2: I'm very overwhelmed by the events that transpired this weekend, but I am encouraged to see competitive elections in Lincoln, and I feel that our region will end up with a great Senator no matter the outcome of this election.

Lumine: Now, Senator, could you give us an idea of how you expect the next weeks or days to come? What’s in store in case of either defeat or victory?

R2D2: My moves in the coming days will be determined after I have consulted further with my legal counsel. At this point, I believe we are in for a winding road. A court case will likely be involved, but I believe that I will ultimately do what is best for the people of Lincoln. That is my first priority. In the event of my defeat, I will return to Lincoln to re-enter regional politics and help my home region in any way possible.

Lumine: I want to take a step back for a moment and go towards your service in the Senate. What’s the thing you’re most proud of during your time as a Senator?

R2D2: I am very proud to have achieved bipartisan success on legislation involving firearms, disaster relief, protection of minorities, and economic equality. My priorities have always been grounded in protecting citizens, and reaching solutions that make sense for all Atlasians. I have been truly grateful to serve with some fine folks across all political ideologies. My horizons have been broadened and I will always strive to work with my colleagues to do what is best for Atlasia.

Lumine: And, in the opposite, what have you regretted the most?

R2D2: I regret not participating more in debates in the past session. I have taken on some heavy responsibilities in my personal life, so I simply do not have the time of day sometimes to balance my personal life and my legislative career. It is a rewarding challenge to be a Senator, though I often feel that my schedule inhibits my ability to serve my constituents, and for that, I apologize.

Lumine: Senator, the Presidential Election finished and its consequences are still being felt. What does this result represent for you personally?

R2D2: I believe President fhtagn has been a fine leader and I have been proud to work with her to achieve some mutual goals. I believe in her ability to lead Atlasia, and I feel that she has been unfairly targeted by a small group of folks. I was also very impressed with the campaign you ran, Mr. President. It was fascinating to see such a strong centrist challenge that ultimately proved there is a bedrock for Independents to succeed. It makes me proud to be an Independent. I would also like to congratulate two very good friends of mine, Truman and Scott, on running a fine campaign. Though the results did not turn out in their favor, I believe they are both marvelous legislators who have served this country with great dignity.

Lumine: Still, Senator, there have been some complaints about the current state of the Labor Party and some interesting defections either towards the Peace Party or becoming independents. With three consecutive electoral victories for the Federalists, that do you think the future of the center-left in Atlasia is?

R2D2: I think the Labor Party is struggling with its identity right now. I believe there is an inherent clique attitude that goes on that all parties are bound to fall victim to. I don't necessarily believe that the left must splinter in order to figure out its identity, but it would be interesting to see how the Labor Party would do if it stuck more to issues, recruiting new players, and bridging the gap between their more extreme leftist members and some potential members who might be more centrist. I have never been good at advising parties, so I would take my opinion on this with a grain of salt, but I believe that trying anything other than the status quo right now might be beneficial.

Lumine: Finally, I think there’s an interesting question to be asked, because this election has featured a number of independent candidates that have made an interesting impact. What is it that makes you be an independent?

R2D2: Being an Independent means that I can serve my constituents before I serve a party. I have seen the ugly side of party politics far too many times to get myself tangled up in it any longer. Make no mistake, I believe that there are members of both parties who are wonderful folks and I don't mean to disparage anyone in any way, but I feel that, if I am not beholden to any party's interests, I can truly act as a public servant wherever I may be serving. I take inspiration from you and other prominent Independents in Atlasian history--folks who have been phenomenal leaders without mucking themselves up in the mess of party politics.

Lumine: Senator, thank you very much.

R2D2:Thank you again, Mr. President. I truly appreciate your time.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #118 on: October 24, 2017, 08:05:02 PM »

A New Party System?
Peace Party, Citizens on the rise as their membership grows

Several new parties emerge

In the aftermath of the October Presidential Election and with the rise of the Federalist Party as the leading political force in the nation, several new parties have either been created or seen a considerable surge in membership, including the Peace Party, Citizens and the Atlasian Revolutionary Workers’ Party to name a few. Citing frustration with the current political system in Atlasia from different angles (a communitarian, pacifist view for the Peace Party, a centrist reform one for Citizens and an anti-electoral one for the ARWP) these parties have been successful in brining old and new Atlasians to change their support to these new forces, in the hopes that the current two-party system (or as some say, one and a half party system) will be forced to change.

The impact in electoral and governing politics is expected to be felt soon, as Citizens has its first Senator (Spiral) and the Peace Party can boast a Senator (Siren), a Representative (Peebs) and regional officeholders. With these new developments the balance of power in the Senate will now depend both on the new parties and independent officeholders, creating an interesting dynamic compared to an incoming Federalist majority in the House of Representatives. As to whether these new parties can gain strength and capitalize on current discontent only time can tell, but The Crusader hopes that the political landslide will indeed shift in a considerable manner and wishes the best of luck and success to groups like the Peace Party and Citizens.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #119 on: October 24, 2017, 08:48:34 PM »

A New Party System?

In the aftermath of the October Presidential Election and with the rise of the Federalist Party as the leading political force in the nation, several new parties have either been created or seen a considerable surge in membership, including the Peace Party, Citizens and the Atlasian Revolutionary Workers’ Party to name a few. Citing frustration with the current political system in Atlasia from different angles (a communitarian, pacifist view for the Peace Party, a centrist reform one for Citizens and an anti-electoral one for the ARWP) these parties have been successful in brining old and new Atlasians to change their support to these new forces, in the hopes that the current two-party system (or as some say, one and a half party system) will be forced to change.

The impact in electoral and governing politics is expected to be felt soon, as Citizens has its first Senator (Spiral) and the Peace Party can boast a Senator (Siren), a Representative (Peebs) and regional officeholders. With these new developments the balance of power in the Senate will now depend both on the new parties and independent officeholders, creating an interesting dynamic compared to an incoming Federalist majority in the House of Representatives. As to whether these new parties can gain strength and capitalize on current discontent only time can tell, but The Crusader hopes that the political landslide will indeed shift in a considerable manner and wishes the best of luck and success to groups like the Peace Party and Citizens.

In journalism, that's called a COI, or conflict of interest. Wink
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #120 on: October 24, 2017, 08:51:10 PM »

Well, there's a reason why The Crusader's slogan is "In Bias we Trust", lol
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #121 on: October 25, 2017, 01:47:35 AM »

A New Party System?

I miss journalism in this game that is both serious and unbiased. Historically whenever we have had press, we have always had at least once such operation.

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #122 on: October 25, 2017, 05:27:43 PM »

I miss journalism in this game that is both serious and unbiased. Historically whenever we have had press, we have always had at least once such operation.

Thank you, Mr. Speaker, no better compliment than to hear we're not seen as unbiased (and thus probably boring). Interesting to note there didn't seem to be a problem when our criticisms were directed elsewhere.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #123 on: October 27, 2017, 02:16:16 AM »

The Crusader is pleased to inform that our next interviews will be with Oakvale and then with Kingpoleon, coming within the next days. A source has also approached us with interesting information, and thus an article is coming tomorrow.

Stay tuned!
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #124 on: October 27, 2017, 02:41:57 AM »

Interesting to note there didn't seem to be a problem when our criticisms were directed elsewhere.

Actually there was Lumine. I have made some form of that same post multiple times over the past year. And several times in past years whenever the press has died or when it was just Well's tabloid.

I could dig them all up, but I don't care. Too busy and tired from working on the budget that everyone else just kept putting off:  https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=273425.msg5881828#msg5881828
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies