Cenk Uygur launches new wing of the Democratic party
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 02:26:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Cenk Uygur launches new wing of the Democratic party
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Cenk Uygur launches new wing of the Democratic party  (Read 3671 times)
Old Man Willow
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 24, 2017, 04:51:47 PM »

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2017/01/24/cenk_uygur_launches_a_new_wing_of_democratic_party_justice_democrats.html

[quote]'The Young Turks' host Cenk Uygur announced a new political movement during Monday’s show to answer a broken and corporate Democratic party. Uygur, Progressive host, Kyle Kulinski, and former Bernie Sanders staffers, Zack Exley and Saikat Chakrabarti, are the co-founders of Justice Democrats - which aims to support and advance policy platforms that have stalled within the Democratic party. The candidates that run under Justice Democrats will not be funded by corporate donors. Instead, it will be sourced and funded by the people.
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 04:55:22 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Justice

I'm not sure this was what they were getting at.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 05:00:31 PM »

The new wing is hours old and is already on the brink of civil war between the Young Turks sub-faction and the West Virginia sub-faction. Sad. Tongue
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 05:02:06 PM »

Well this Pipeline fight is a good start
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 07:09:13 PM »

To the new wing of the democratic party: Welcome. The faster you fizzle out, the better.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 07:20:42 PM »

Good luck with that.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 07:21:34 PM »

I'd be all on board with this if it wasn't being co-chaired by Cenk Uygur.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 07:22:29 PM »

"Genocide Denier Calls Person Nazi"
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 07:47:34 PM »

ITS TIME TO RESTORE...
.....JUSTICE!

Catholics vs. Convicts
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 08:15:50 PM »

You can't just declare a new-wing's existence. I could try to declare the re-founding of the Blue Dog wing of the party, but that doesn't mean anything if there are basically no more Blue Dogs in office anywhere.

While this "declaration" is kinda laughable, I do like what they claim Justice Democrats will stand for.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 08:34:15 PM »

who care
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 09:21:45 PM »

“There are three things I know that I can do, and that’s shoot a shotgun, make a deal and coach basketball. I’m excited about it.”

publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 09:36:05 PM »

JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2017, 09:50:45 PM »

It and this thread failed when it mentioned Cenk Uygur.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2017, 09:58:51 PM »

Like Hillary Clinton failed last November.

That is completely irrelevant to Cenk Uygur being terrible.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2017, 10:06:27 PM »

Sorry for thinking a man who thinks a genocide didn't happen is going to fail at something.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2017, 10:07:47 PM »

No, it's really not. I voted for Clinton against Trump because I thought she was the more respectable candidate. I'll admit it wasn't a proud vote or anything, I was much more happy with my choice for the House and Senate. Honestly though, even in the primaries, she might have been better than Sanders on a few issues.

But by and large, we need a change in this Democratic Party. Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania should not be Republican states in any election, and yet, the working class voters there shifted Republican due to these horrible trade deals and neoliberal policies being proposed by mainstream Democrats. Cenk Uygur isn't the best, but I wish him good luck on this particular endeavor.

Because one loss against a candidate that was a perfect fit for the lost states means complete doom Roll Eyes. Especially considering that A: the trade deals are a strong net benefit for the country and B: The democrats haven't stood for neoliberal policy(with a few exceptions) in several years. And why are some democrats obsessed with winning the working class. Frankly, I don't see a problem with becoming a more sunbelt focused party.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2017, 10:17:54 PM »
« Edited: January 24, 2017, 10:19:54 PM by JerryArkansas »

Listen, before this becomes some sh**t flinging contest:

5. Oh and, Omega, screw you, buddy. The working class is the traditional base of the Democrats, and it will stay that way until this party disintegrates.
The WWC won't be enough.  At some point, people have to realise that appealing to them means turning off others, like African Americans, and Hispanics.  You can try to appeal to both but at some point, the choice has to be made.  You can cave to them and say what they want to hear, likely leading to low turnout among minorities, or appeal to ethnic and social minorities.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2017, 10:21:35 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

trump isn't exactly great for republican margins in the sunbelt. An unpopular trump could destroy the R advantage.

Well, f**k you too. The working class did vote D in this election, because, shock and awe, not all poor people are white. The WWC (which seems to be what working class means anymore) has been trending republican for a long time now, as the country becomes more diverse.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2017, 12:07:21 AM »

I'm sure this will work out just as well as MUH WOLFPAC did
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2017, 12:11:52 AM »
« Edited: January 25, 2017, 12:13:41 AM by Maxwell »

lol wut do u mean armenian genocide

never happn'd
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2017, 12:36:26 PM »

4. The Sun Belt strategy won't work for the next 10 or 20 years, until Demographics fully catch up. Even then, the Democrats are going to have trouble because a lot of the new Sunbelt voters will be pretty affluent, so they'll have to change up some of their talking points in the region anyway.

trump isn't exactly great for republican margins in the sunbelt. An unpopular trump could destroy the R advantage.

Well, f**k you too. The working class did vote D in this election, because, shock and awe, not all poor people are white. The WWC (which seems to be what working class means anymore) has been trending republican for a long time now, as the country becomes more diverse.
This is such a misunderstanding of what the problem was in this election that it's hilarious. Hey Scarlet, he did better than expected in Nevada, Colorado, and New Mexico, buddy. And it didn't affect the results at all. We have an electoral college, and unless Texas swings, which we all know is still unlikely, your strategy will add....

0 Electoral Votes

For the Democrats. Nice plan, kid. Ice up.

To win elections in the US, you need a significant chunk of the white vote. That continues to be the case today. The working class is the only segment of the white vote, other than in a few states, that has lined up behind Democrats in the past. I don't see which states you hope to win with a minorities only strategy. California+Hawaii+New Mexico is not enough.

Collage educated whites are a clear part of such a coalition. College educated people are trending D, while those without a degree are trending R. Democrats don't need the very particular(culturally) part of the mdwestern white that used to be democratic anymore, because that kind of voter is going to the GOP, and is being replaced by a different kind of white alienated by GOP extremism.

Also how dumb do you have to be to think that I argued for a minorities only strategy? I said nothing even remotely implying that.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2017, 12:45:31 PM »

lol wut do u mean armenian genocide

never happn'd
I have a lot of progressive friends who watch TYT avidly and...I can't bring myself to watch it. I mean, yeah, the show is terribly written and really tin eared, but the main reason is I cannot bring myself to watch a guy who actively denies the genocide of my people. If I were Ana, I would've quit the second I heard he had doubts about a genocide ever occurring. Period.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2017, 12:48:03 PM »

While he is terrible, he's not as terrible as self-righteous "liberals" who claim to hold moral superiority over everyone else - specifically Republicans - on one hand and then have the completely oblivious nerve to turn around and shun *populists* from their party, as if populist rhetoric isn't the ONLY reason Democrats have ever held any Presidency or Congressional majority in the party's entire history.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2017, 02:23:26 PM »

If Dems give up on Working class whites, it's good bye Presidency for the next 15-20 years & perhaps the Dem party wouldn't even exist as I am not sure you can have decent support while losing for 20 years. They may win the Popular vote but can never win the Electoral College. For one the whites in South will continue to be polarized & many College Whites will go R due to he low tax thing.

Anyways as per this news, Cenk apart from that 1 thing is a very sensible & fantastic guy. I mean Hillary, the fraud & lier was supported as the candidate so I don't see people having any right to criticize Cenk. Ofcourse this won't amount to anything.

The main thing is they are looking to primary & replace Corporate Dems in 2018 which will be difficult. TYT has been raising huge money ala Sanders from the public (like hiring Dems) but this much money would be a challenge for so many seats. Other than that, Senate Candidates should be Congressmen, Congressional candidates should be State Leg/Senate people, so it will be hard for them to get that many candidates.

You can't pick a random guy & make him congressman, it can work once, but won't win the primary in 50-60 cases. Why would a State Senator want to sign up with this thing?

On the long term, I think even if this fails, it will further increase acceptability of existing Dems & would bring some decent primary challengers which will make Dems cater to their base which isn't bad!
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies