Yale's breadth vs. Oxford's depth
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:29:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Yale's breadth vs. Oxford's depth
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Yale's breadth vs. Oxford's depth  (Read 459 times)
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 21, 2017, 08:59:29 PM »
« edited: January 22, 2017, 02:38:30 PM by King of Kensington »

Do you prefer the American "liberal arts" or Oxbridge approach where you "read" a subject?  This article compares Yale vs. Oxford educations:

http://yaledailynews.com/blog/2010/04/23/whats-better-oxfords-depth-or-yales-breadth/

In the UK and Europe, you really get your "liberal arts" education in high school.

Although I'm Canadian I did my undergraduate degree in the US at a LAC.  I really enjoyed my experience and took courses all over the place, but I did find when I began graduate school that students that did degrees in Europe or majors that were more extensive.

I guess it isn't surprising that American masters degrees are often less rigorous than elsewhere since in many ways they're just "catching up" with European BA holders.*

* And an academic MA is less often a respected stand-alone degree but rather something to "fill the gaps" for students who aren't prepared to go straight into a Ph.D. program.

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 09:27:40 PM »

Breadth, any day.

The modern obsession with hyper-specialization is not only killing academia, but poses a danger to the entire society. Democracy needs well-rounded citizens who are capable of understanding the basics of each issue, not super-duper-experts who ignore everything of what's going on outside of their fields. The latter is how you get neoliberal hegemony.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 09:54:12 PM »

Breadth, any day.

The modern obsession with hyper-specialization is not only killing academia, but poses a danger to the entire society. Democracy needs well-rounded citizens who are capable of understanding the basics of each issue, not super-duper-experts who ignore everything of what's going on outside of their fields. The latter is how you get neoliberal hegemony.

Like PPE at Oxford?:

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-11136511

Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 11:02:32 PM »

Breadth, any day.

I generally agree with this, though I think some depth in a particular field is good as well. The ideal would be a working knowledge of a wide variety of subjects, with more in depth knowledge of a specific field or two. So, if I had to pick one, breadth, though ideally students would have a bit more depth in their field of study.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 12:41:15 AM »

Ideally, I'd like to have high school end one year earlier, and then have something like 2 years of general education/liberal arts and 3 years of in-depth study of the subject.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 01:40:41 AM »

for STEM/Business : Depth

for any other major: Breadth
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 11:24:18 AM »

Is comparing two quite atypical universities really the best way to do this though?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2017, 11:47:23 AM »

Is comparing two quite atypical universities really the best way to do this though?

Is the "Oxbridge" approach even followed in other universities in the UK?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 11:59:01 AM »

Is the "Oxbridge" approach even followed in other universities in the UK?

No, it's either a bit different or very different in pretty much all respects.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 02:39:23 PM »

I've changed the title to reflect this is largely,  though not entirely, about the most elite institutions.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2017, 05:38:59 PM »

for STEM/Business : Depth

for any other major: Breadth

I think this distinction is actually also very important to note. At least where I teach/study, it is much more typical for STEM students to be very depth-oriented whereas other fields are breadth-oriented, and their respective academic departments teaching philosophies follow accordingly.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies