Which posters would you appoint to the Supreme Court?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 04:12:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Which posters would you appoint to the Supreme Court?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14
Author Topic: Which posters would you appoint to the Supreme Court?  (Read 40632 times)
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2005, 06:21:45 PM »

I think Emsworth should analyze everyone's picks...
Having nothing better to do during the Summer, I should be able to do so (not all right now, of course). I'll start with Wildcard, since he specifically asked.

Cheif Justice: John D. Ford

Assistant Judges
Dazzleman
A18
PBrunsel
Emsworth
JFK
Gabu
John Dibble
Nym90
There appear to be one populist (Ford), two conservatives (Dazzleman and PBrunsel), two liberals (Gabu and Nym90), and four libertarians (A18, Emsworth, JFK, and John Dibble). Gabu could perhaps also fit in the libertarian category, but I think that he's more of a libertarian-leaning liberal.

On economic issues, the conservative side clearly has an advantage: the conservative majority could be 6-3 or 7-2, depending on Gabu's votes.

On social issues, there appears to be a slight liberal majority. I would expect A18, opposed as he is to incorporation, to side with Ford, Dazzleman, and PBrunsel on such issues most of the time. Gabu, Nym90, JFK, Dibble, and I would probably have a liberal voting record most of the time on these issues. At the same time, it seems likely that one of us would defect to the other side from time to time. Thus, there would probably be quite a few 5-4 splits.

Gun rights are safe, as is early term abortion. However, Gabu might become a swing voter in late-term abortion cases. I don't know enough about Nym's views on abortion to say if he would be a swing voter as well. Thus, I would expect decisions like Stenberg v. Carhart to be struck down.

I don't believe that there is a single key swing vote, especially given the conservative bent of the bench on economic issues. I expect that A18 and I will have conflicting opinions in many a case.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2005, 06:34:37 PM »

chief justice: bullmoose

associate justices:
a18
auh2o
richius
htmldon
nini
bob
nation
modu
There are three centrists, relatively speaking (Nation, Nini, and MODU), three libertarians (Bullmoose, Bob, and A18), and three conservatives or arch-conservatives (AuH2O, Richius, and Htmldon).

On economic issues, it looks like the conservatives have a clear majority, possibly 7-2. There seems to be no doubt that several federal programs will be declared unconstitutional.

Social issues are of course more interesting here. I would expect Richius, AuH2O, and A18 to rule consistently on the conservative side, to be joined in many cases by htmldon (with exceptions such as affirmative action). MODU, Bob, and Nation may join them in a few cases as well, giving them the required majorities.

So it seems that the result of such a court would entail considerably cutting down the involvement of the federal government. I feel that such a court would defer to the states in a lot of cases where the real-life court has permitted federal involvement.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2005, 07:19:32 PM »

Who else on this message board opposes the unjust incorporation of the Bill of Rights against the states?

At least Philip has a consistent standard.

Well, I just wanted at least one sensible person on the court. Wink
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2005, 07:21:29 PM »

Hmm.

Chief Justice: Walter Mitty

Associates:

Dazzleman
htmldon
A18
Angus
Pope PD (I believe the artist formerly known as Peter Bell)
Emsworth
John Ford
(Insert Office of the Week) Al

With Supersoulty, and dare I be obnoxious and say myself, as alternates should one of the above 9 not be confirmed.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2005, 07:22:22 PM »

Who else on this message board opposes the unjust incorporation of the Bill of Rights against the states?

At least Philip has a consistent standard.

Well, you made my court. I wouldn't agree with you on a few issues, but at least I'd know you would rule consistently.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2005, 07:58:30 PM »

Chief Justice:
Emsworth

Associates:
Dazzleman
Kemperor
Ernest
Defarge
Nclib
Nym90
Migrendel
Peter Bell

I think this court would be very liberal socially, while Peter and Emsworth would be the swing votes on economic issues.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2005, 08:51:43 PM »

Chief Justice: Walter Mitty

Associates:

Dazzleman
htmldon
A18
Angus
Pope PD (I believe the artist formerly known as Peter Bell)
Emsworth
John Ford
(Insert Office of the Week) Al
Proceeding with the analysis:
We appear to have a very balanced court: two populists (Al and Ford), three conservatives (htmldon, Angus, and Dazzleman), and four libertarians (A18, Bell, Emsworth, and Mitty).

Economically, the bench is clearly very conservative; 7-2 decisions would occur quite often. Peter Bell and I might swing to the other side from time to time, but that still leaves it at 5-4.

I would say that this is also safely conservative on social issues. They appear to have a 5-4, or even 6-3 majority. A18 would, as mentioned several times before, give the states considerable leeway, but would not do the same for the federal government. The right to late term abortions would probably not be sustained by this court, at least at the state level. The decisions against the right would probably be by 7-2 margins, with Walter Mitty and me dissenting. (Expect some scathing dissents on my part!)

Gun rights are obviously quite safe. I think that the court would also regularly rule against affirmative action, 7-2 (htmldon and Mitty in favor of sustaining it).
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2005, 08:58:20 PM »

Chief Justice:
Emsworth

Associates:
Dazzleman
Kemperor
Ernest
Defarge
Nclib
Nym90
Migrendel
Peter Bell

I think this court would be very liberal socially, while Peter and Emsworth would be the swing votes on economic issues.
Let me start by saying that this is my favorite bench Wink

Right you are about the social issues. A lot of 8-1 and 7-2 decisions on social matters might emanate from this court. The right to have late term abortions will be quite secure. Affirmative action would probably be declared unconstitutional by a thin margin; whether it is upheld or not, Migrendel and I would have something to say about it.

I think that this is the first court we've had so far where the judges are together on social issues, and split on economic ones, instead of the reverse. I think that the liberal wing still has a slight edge; both Peter and I would have to vote with the conservatives/ libertarians to guarantee a victory for that side. And three of us -- Ernest, Peter, and I -- tend to a somewhat looser interpretation of the commerce clause (though not as loose as the interpretation of the real life Supreme Court).

I don't know if I would be as much of a swing vote as Bell. I imagine that he would (as I mentioned for another court) be akin to Justice O'Connor, with me swinging about as much as Justice Kennedy.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2005, 09:09:37 PM »

angus (never capitalized Wink ) is more a liberal than a conservative.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2005, 09:10:43 PM »

You think so? I havent' had a chance to read many of posts by him on constitutional issues.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2005, 09:11:18 PM »

Chief Justice:
Emsworth

Associates:
Dazzleman
Kemperor
Ernest
Defarge
Nclib
Nym90
Migrendel
Peter Bell

I don't think I'd be writing too many majority opinions on this court...
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2005, 09:12:59 PM »

You think so? I havent' had a chance to read many of posts by him on constitutional issues.

He's a libertarian-leaning Republican who is not really conservative, but not liberal either.  He would probably be a wild card on the court, siding with the liberal or conservative factions depending upon the nature of the case.  A very good pick, actually.  He's got great reasoning ability and good life experience, as well as a lot of common sense.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2005, 09:13:12 PM »

I believe he described himself as a liberal capitalist once. Maybe around -5 Socially and -3 Economically. Very eclectic set of beliefs and tough to pin down.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2005, 09:15:19 PM »

He's a libertarian-leaning Republican who is not really conservative, but not liberal either.  He would probably be a wild card on the court, siding with the liberal or conservative factions depending upon the nature of the case.  A very good pick, actually.  He's got great reasoning ability and good life experience, as well as a lot of common sense.

*pats self on back*

I consider mitty and angus to be the closest folks to me on the forum, interms of ideology, so I had to put them both on board

and yeah, dazzleman, I wouldn't be writing many opinions on social cases on Walter's court either...no fun.
MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2005, 09:16:28 PM »

Chief Justice: KEmperor

Associate Justices:
Sam Spade
Ernest
Emsworth
Peter Bell
Supersoulty
Tredrick
WMS
Al

If anyone wants to analyze that, be my guest.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2005, 09:19:01 PM »

Sam Spade, and WMS...good selections.

I wish I could be FDR and expand the court just so I could pack em all on.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2005, 09:20:11 PM »

*pats self on back*

I consider mitty and angus to be the closest folks to me on the forum, interms of ideology, so I had to put them both on board

and yeah, dazzleman, I wouldn't be writing many opinions on social cases on Walter's court either...no fun.

Walter's court is a pretty interesting one.  There might be certain cases where you'd be a swing vote on that court.  It's kind of hard to get a grip on Walter's ideology, and his court picks cloud the picture even more...Smiley
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2005, 09:41:16 PM »

Associate Justices:
Sam Spade           
Ernest                 
Emsworth               
Peter Bell               
Supersoulty           
Tredrick                 
WMS                     
Al                               

Seems like this is one of the best courts, second to mine of course. Economically, you have 4 clear Conservatives (Emsworth, Tredrick, and Sam), one clear leftist (Al), two left leaning centrists (Super, WMS), and two centrists that lean right (Ernest and Peter). You'd certainly see a good number of conservative rulings, but not radical ones, with the four conservatives and the swing votes of Peter and Ernest, joined at times by WMS and Super.

Socially, you have two solid conservatives in Tredrick and Super plus another conservative leaner in Sam. Emsworth, KEmp, and Peter would make up a solid left/center left in opposition. Depending on what Ernest, WMS, or Al do, anything from 6-3 to 3-6 is possible on social issues.

Emsworth - What do you think this court would do on abortion. I doubt it would remove Roe v. Wade, but certainly Stenberg would be refused.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2005, 09:44:27 PM »

Associate Justices:
Sam Spade
Ernest
Emsworth
Peter Bell
Supersoulty
Tredrick
WMS
Al

This is an interesting court. We have three populists (Al, WMS, and Supersoulty), one conservative (Tredrick), one somewhat difficult-to-place centrist (Sam Spade), and four moderate libertarians.

On economic issues, we might see a few 6-3 conservative decisions. However, Sam, Ernest, Peter Bell, or perhaps even I could swing to the liberal side from time to time, so conservatism on this front is not guaranteed. I know in particular that Ernest and Peter Bell do not advocate an extremely narrow interpretation of the commerce clause.

The court will probably also be split on social issues. Supersoulty, Tredrick, WMS, and Al would probably all vote conservatively, and KEmperor, Peter Bell, Ernest, and I would generally vote liberally. Sam Spade would therefore be a swing vote. Ernest might also swing from time to time, as might Peter Bell. (EDIT: I just noticed that Jake also notes that 6-3 to 3-6 decisions might be possible.)

So in general, Sam Spade is the main swing vote; Ernest and Peter Bell might be swing votes as well.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2005, 09:50:44 PM »

Emsworth - What do you think this court would do on abortion. I doubt it would remove Roe v. Wade, but certainly Stenberg would be refused.
I agree that Roe v. Wade would not be overturned. However, I do expect to see a tightening of abortion rights. Parental consent laws, for example, would be upheld. Stenberg definitely goes. I suspect that it might even be a 7-2 or 8-1 decision.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2005, 09:53:41 PM »

Chief Justice:
Emsworth

Associates:
Dazzleman
Kemperor
Ernest
Defarge
Nclib
Nym90
Migrendel
Peter Bell

I don't think I'd be writing too many majority opinions on this court...

I'm not aiming for balance, I do want something more liberal than what we have now.

You could write one on an economic case, since the only people on this court who are leftist economically are Nym, Migrendel, Nclib, with Defarge being relatively moderate, and it's still 5-4 grouping him with the left.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2005, 09:55:14 PM »
« Edited: July 21, 2005, 01:25:05 AM by nini2287 »

I'm honored to be on so many lists Wink

If I were doing a court just based on political persuasions (not necessarily on intelligence and general faithfulness to the constitution-although some of these people would qualify under both categories), I would say:

Chief Justice-John Ford
opebo
BRTD
Ebowed
StatesRights
A18
John Dibble
Cosmo Kramer
WalterMitty

In terms of who would be the best justices w/respect to understanding of the law and adherence to the Constitution:
Chief Justice-A18
John Ford
Harry
nym90
Al
New Federalist
Alcon
KEmperor
John Dibble
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2005, 09:57:19 PM »

Chief Justice David S

A18
AuH2O

I don't see any others.
Duh, Bono!  I forgot Bono!  My apologies, sir!
FerrisBueller86
jhsu

« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2005, 09:57:41 PM »

I didn't make it to any of these lists.  Yes, I know.  Supreme Court justices can't be big fans of Britney Spears or Mandy Moore.  On the other hand, at least I'm not a fan of Long Dong Silver.  Smiley
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2005, 10:01:17 PM »

Okay, we'll waive the rules especially for you, and permit you to place yourself on the court.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies