Can constitutional monarchies(elective OR hereditary) be a good government form?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:38:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Can constitutional monarchies(elective OR hereditary) be a good government form?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: To be clear, I mean a monarch with some power which is also balanced by a legislature.
Definitely

Usually

No, in all cases

WI/Other(post below)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: Can constitutional monarchies(elective OR hereditary) be a good government form?  (Read 1599 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 07, 2017, 07:05:10 PM »

I recall having a discussion with someone, I believe TimTurner, about monarchies. I was playing devil's advocate to his arguments about how monarchies, in some cases, may be better than some democracies/republics.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 07:27:02 PM »
« Edited: January 07, 2017, 07:31:32 PM by Santander »

Of course. Constitutional monarchy is by far the best form of government, although I favor greater Royal Prerogative than currently exists in the Commonwealth realms. Elective monarchies are an affront to divine right - the most beautiful aspect of monarchy is that the monarch becomes monarch not through election or appointment, but the simple accident of birth. God will deliver righteous sovereigns to righteous people.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 07:54:06 PM »
« Edited: January 07, 2017, 07:55:40 PM by 🦀🎂 »

They are definitely preferable to Presidents with executive power.

That saod, I've always thought it's a bit cruel to the monarchs themselves. The lives of the Japanese Imperial family especially.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 08:05:09 PM »

Of course. Constitutional monarchy is by far the best form of government, although I favor greater Royal Prerogative than currently exists in the Commonwealth realms. Elective monarchies are an affront to divine right - the most beautiful aspect of monarchy is that the monarch becomes monarch not through election or appointment, but the simple accident of birth. God will deliver righteous sovereigns to righteous people.

All things bright and beautiful,
All creatures great and small,
All things wise and wonderful,
The Lord God made them all.

Each little flower that opens,
Each little bird that sings,
He made their glowing colours,
He made their tiny wings.

All things bright ...

The rich man in his castle,
The poor man at his gate,
God made them high and lowly,
And ordered their estate.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 08:15:29 PM »

NO its an abomination. At one point a case for monarchies could be made, as they were actually involved in governing and they had to struggle against rivals to keep their throne. But to be entitled to a somewhat symbolic throne with no extra effort to show for it is morally repugnant. Let it be clear, practically every monarch is the descendant of a usurper in some form, and this "divine right" is just an attempt to kick down the ladder.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 07:51:04 AM »

I recall having a discussion with someone, I believe TimTurner, about monarchies. I was playing devil's advocate to his arguments about how monarchies, in some cases, may be better than some democracies/republics.
How would an elective monarchy with a legislature be different from what we have, besides a title?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 10:56:48 AM »

I can tolerate the Swedish model (ie one where the monarch has no political power or function whatsoever, not even in forming government).
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 12:48:57 PM »

Well, yeah, they can, as long as people are fine with them.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 04:53:11 PM »

How would an elective monarchy with a legislature be different from what we have, besides a title?
An elective monarch would probably have slightly more power than the President, and they would probably rule for life.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 04:55:21 PM »

An elective monarch would probably have slightly more power than the President, and they would probably rule for life.
So basically Trump, then.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 09:44:34 PM »

NO.  The most preferable system in the world would be based off the Irish system, with an elected figurehead president and all real power residing with the Parliament.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2017, 10:17:04 PM »

NO.  The most preferable system in the world would be based off the Irish system, with an elected figurehead president and all real power residing with the Parliament.

...I agree with Green Line on something? Huh
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2017, 05:58:49 PM »

The best and the most democratic governments in the world happen to be constitutional monarchies, they aren't the best because they are constitutional monarchies.  Big difference.

In fact, they are still monarchies today only because they became good enough to not have enough public outcry for the odious system of monarchy to be overthrown.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2017, 06:33:14 PM »

A country with a powerless monarch is practically no different from a republican state. Also this:

The best and the most democratic governments in the world happen to be constitutional monarchies, they aren't the best because they are constitutional monarchies.  Big difference.

In fact, they are still monarchies today only because they became good enough to not have enough public outcry for the odious system of monarchy to be overthrown.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2017, 09:16:25 PM »

A country with a powerless monarch is practically no different from a republican state. Also this:

I meant one wherein the monarch has actual power, as specified.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2017, 09:20:48 PM »

I've always thought it's a bit cruel to the monarchs themselves. The lives of the Japanese Imperial family especially.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2017, 10:10:18 PM »

I meant one wherein the monarch has actual power, as specified.

You mean the elected monarchy that was being discussed above? It's not a terrible idea, but I suspect it would be prone to voter disaffection over the lack of control over the executive and corruption. There's not really any data to back that supposition up though, due to the lack of elected monarchies.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2017, 01:24:00 AM »

A good despot is the best form of government. Its just that good people are a rarity,
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2017, 11:57:34 PM »

I suppose, technically. A constitutional monarch without any power is kind of pointless, so I'd prefer not but I'm fine with it if it's supported by the people. A hereditary monarch with power, or an elective monarch who is never up for re-election or has their term expire, are both bad ideas--but honestly how much worse could they be than democratically (re-)elected politicians? Tongue
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2017, 08:15:02 AM »

We don't need an elected monarch, or a hereditary monarch by Divine Right. We need a monarch who is divine themselves.

Slightly more seriously: Maybe something like the Chinese system?

Still not that serious. But wait,  people actually think that Trump is an elected King?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies