Who are the Dems that Hillary voters are ok with & Bernie voters don't hate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 04:23:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Who are the Dems that Hillary voters are ok with & Bernie voters don't hate?  (Read 1295 times)
SCNCmod

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 06, 2017, 11:59:19 PM »

It seems Hillary voters aren't crazy about  Eliazbeth Warren, Tulsi Gabbard, or Keith Ellison (or maybe don't see them as practical candidates... or think some of their position will go nowhere with Congress... or think have no chance of ever getting Washington to remotely work together again).

And many Bernie Voters seem to abhore any "mainstream" Dem is not worth electing, or automatically beholden to wall street, or that anyone who Supported Hillary is a carbon copy of her politically, Or anyone who supports Free Trade to much extent is White Collar elite, etc.

These are obviously probably over-generalizations.... and the 2020 nominee will almost have to be someone not too closely tied to Bernie or Hillary & someone that Hillary supporters & Bernie supporters find mostly acceptable (which probably should bode well for Governors & less vocal senators, who neither side can project the over-generalized stereotyped baggage from this election on....

So Who are the Dems that Hillary voters are ok with & Bernie voters don't hate?
BidenDuckworth2020
messiahBooker
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 12:20:12 AM »

Sherrod Brown?
Old Man Willow
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 12:28:43 AM »

1.He's going to lose his seat in 2 years.
2.He's not charismatic.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 12:43:36 AM »

I would say 99% of Clinton voters would be okay with Warren.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 03:38:00 AM »

I doubt he'll lose his seat, what polls we have show he is leading or tied to Mandel, and midterms are bad for the incumbent party. Trump looks likely to be unpopular so he can easily win. However, Brown doesn't seem that charismatic. Maybe he'd be best as a VP.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 04:02:01 AM »

Warren is the only one that comes to mind.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 04:39:15 AM »

Sherrod Brown, Al Franken, Kamala Harris, Catherine Cortez Masto, Steve Bullock, Ron Wyden, or Jon Tester.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 09:22:58 AM »

This is the problem that arises when your party establishment is nearly 100% old and unsuited for a presidential campaign.

I ultimately don't see Clinton primary voters falling in love with Warren.

Maybe a fresh, but moderate, face like John Bel Edwards? Yeah, he isn't particularly liberal, but I don't really think Bernie voters were, either. They just disliked Clinton and the party establishment. Edwards is moderate enough to not scare the wealthier Clinton voters but doesn't have the strong ties to Wall Street (as far as I know) and is the governor of a minority-heavy state.
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2017, 09:34:44 AM »

Warren is the only one that comes to mind.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2017, 09:52:36 AM »

Whoever can win a bunch of plurality victories in the early primary states will most likely roll on to win the nomination, regardless of whether every faction within the party is "happy" with them.  That's the way it usually works, and I don't see why 2020 would be any different.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2017, 09:56:14 AM »

Amy Klobuchar?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2017, 10:01:17 AM »

Everyone here always trashes GOP primary voters as these bumbling, racist idiots, so let me offer a perspective on Democratic primary voters:

Hillary and Bernie voters aren't very ideologically different.  On issues like raising the minimum wage, increasing taxes on the wealthy, increasing funding for education, protecting Roe v. Wade, etc., they are all literally in agreement.  Across the income spectrum, across all age groups, among both genders, Democratic primary voters all believe in social and economic justice; that's why they're Democrats.  Non Swing Voter can spout whatever out-of-touch nonsense he wishes, but the Democratic Party is very, very united on the issues.

Hillary's and Bernie's "battle" was totally about substance, group-think and personal vendettas.  Bernie, for whatever reason, was PERCEIVED to be worse on race issues (even though he's literally the same as Clinton), so Clinton got the Black vote, and THEN her supporters crafted the BS they spew about Bernie.  The party is just as "dumb" in that regard as the Republicans.  Cory Booker, in a position of power in the Democratic Party, would fight for all of the issues I listed above, but because he made one comment one time about Mitt Romney, he is PERCEIVED to be totally unacceptable on the issue of Wall Street.

Pretty much any unknown "liberal/progressive" will be acceptable to both if they play their cards right.  Period.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2017, 02:10:44 PM »
« Edited: January 07, 2017, 02:55:06 PM by Shadows »

Bernie Sanders.

Maybe Elizabeth Warren - That is it. If any of these 2 run in 2020, they better get the nomination or they will be en mass defection to the Greens or people will stay home. You had Trump in 2016 & people were forced, they won't be forced & coerced every damn time.

You tried you BS centrist stuff with Hillary - It didn't work. It is time to have a strong progressives after many decades.

Cory Booker is a New Democrat, a conservative Democrat - I remember him attacking Obama for criticism of Private Equity. Booker is a huge supporter of the Patriot Act, supported Bain Capital, is totally in love with Wall Street, has said military actions maybe an option against iran, supports cuts to Welfare Schemes (he cut spending as Mayor).This guy is a Charter school, voucher method supporter - An advocate for privatization of Education.

And no Brown is not good enough!
DPKdebator
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: 3.65

P P P

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2017, 02:23:02 PM »

I'm not sure if this'll help people, but the vast majority of people I know who rooted for Bernie in the Democratic primaries were "Bernie or Bust" people who became 100% Trump after Bernie lost (including myself). If Bernie was the Dem nominee, he easily could've won almost 70% of the vote in MA.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2017, 02:36:08 PM »

The only way you're going to satisfy the Sanders people is to make the same fairy-tale promises that Sanders did. Unless they promise free college, free health care, and free weed, they're going to either start a Draft Bernie movement or try and convince Zephyr Teachout to run in the primary.

I lost a few friends this past primary season because I was the one to back the reality bus: saying you're going to take in more dollars than dollars exist in new tax revenue in addition to the current revenue by a magical tax on Wall Street to pay for Medicare For All and to make every college and university tuition-free is just as much a wet-dream fantasy as saying you're going to build a wall and make Mexico pay for it.

I'll say to those morons the same thing I said last time: you want a "true progressive," you'll lose in an epic bloodbath. Don't believe me? Look up the electoral map from 1972 and see what happened to the "true progressive" George McGovern.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2017, 02:39:24 PM »

I'm not sure if this'll help people, but the vast majority of people I know who rooted for Bernie in the Democratic primaries were "Bernie or Bust" people who became 100% Trump after Bernie lost (including myself). If Bernie was the Dem nominee, he easily could've won almost 70% of the vote in MA.
With all due respect that means you and your people you knew were not "Bernie or Bust" just anti-Hillary
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2017, 02:44:07 PM »
« Edited: January 07, 2017, 02:48:46 PM by Shadows »

The only way you're going to satisfy the Sanders people is to make the same fairy-tale promises that Sanders did. Unless they promise free college, free health care, and free weed, they're going to either start a Draft Bernie movement or try and convince Zephyr Teachout to run in the primary.

I lost a few friends this past primary season because I was the one to back the reality bus: saying you're going to take in more dollars than dollars exist in new tax revenue in addition to the current revenue by a magical tax on Wall Street to pay for Medicare For All and to make every college and university tuition-free is just as much a wet-dream fantasy as saying you're going to build a wall and make Mexico pay for it.

I'll say to those morons the same thing I said last time: you want a "true progressive," you'll lose in an epic bloodbath. Don't believe me? Look up the electoral map from 1972 and see what happened to the "true progressive" George McGovern.

Have you considered that you being ridiculous has something to do with losing your friends because there was never any proposal to pay for Medicare for all by a Wall Street tax. Free Public Tuition in college is such an insanely cheap idea that you could raise many times the amount by an insanely negligible tax on Wall Street.

Not just that, the idea was so cheap that Hillary went with it without even the Wall Street Tax & just on a surcharge or tax increase on wealthy.

I don't think you have legs to argue by comparing an election 50 years back. If chosing a realist or centrist was more electable then Trump would never have won ( a known Racist, Islamophobic sexual assaulter who wants to steal oil, deport millions, ban abortions, kill innocent people, is insanely stupid, sexually assaults women, etc etc). If 2016 didn't teach you anything, then I am afraid you really will lead the Dem party to ruin.

There is a reason why Dems lost MI & WI - And I am sure with people like you, the Dems will be the new Whigs!
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2017, 02:23:30 AM »
« Edited: January 08, 2017, 02:05:51 PM by Del Tachi »

Warren really does bridge the gap between the McStablishment and Sanders-wing quite nicely, and I think that's why she can prohibitively be called the frontrunner for 2020.  She also checks the woman box (which will probably be a big deal for a large contingency of former Hillary supporters in 2020) and seems well-suited to IA and NH, two early contest states.

Now, Senator Warren is the Democratic equivalent of Ted Cruz, but mainstream Democrats have seemed very unwilling to criticize her to the same level that Establishment Republicans seem to loathe Cruz.  That of course could change before 2020; however, don't write her off because of the possibility, Cruz would have been the 2016 GOP nominee in a sans-Trump race after all.

She's a pathetic GE candidate though.  Probably would not improve upon Trump's performance among non-college educated White, and the suburbs that swung so hard towards Clinton would probably trend back towards Trump if she were the Democratic nominee in 2020. 
world.execute(me)
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2017, 03:11:04 AM »

I wish. bernie's bull**** and muh trustworthyness gives him too much electoral potential. It depends on how much people believe the skeletons in his closet(which would likely be less effective if used by a highly unpopular trump in 2020 then against a different republican in 2016).
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2017, 03:22:28 AM »

The Democratic party has gotten its butt kicked so hard down ballot since the Clintons came along. They had a 40 reign of the House come to an end. Now they only control around 6 state governments.
world.execute(me)
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2017, 03:24:49 AM »

The Democratic party has gotten its butt kicked so hard down ballot since the Clintons came along. They had a 40 reign of the House come to an end. Now they only control around 6 state governments.

That was because of trying and failing to enact a liberal healthcare reform law, which republicans skillfully took advantage of to create a wave.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2017, 03:32:40 AM »

Anyone who loses "friends" solely as a result of a Presidential GE or Primary contest maybe needs to re-examine whom they consider to be friends....

No offensive Wolverine....I have a few friends that voted for Trump and we are still friends and still talk, let alone "bad blood" from the Dem Primary season.

Actually my friends that voted Trump, voted 1-2 x Obama, and would have voted Bernie in a heartbeat...

Not so sure what your anti-Bernie trip is man, considering your candidate won the Den Primaries.

Back to the OP's question, I would throw Jeff Merkley into the ring, as a two term Senator from Oregon who both strongly represents the progressive wing of the Party, while also able to represent downstate Mill Workers and Tech Sector employees at the same time....

H. Clinton was an absolute failure as the Democratic nominee for President (She lost Big League to Trump in what should have been a 4% victory lap), so really I have no idea what her actual "base" of supporters really actually are.

Democrats need a populist and progressive fighter in 2020, and although I keep hearing Elizabeth Warren's name trotted out, the reality is she likely won't play that well outside of the Central Atlantic/Northeast.

We need a Democrat who can speak truth to power and play hard in the Midwest and Western United States....

Eff the Southern strategy.... it will come in time in places like GA & NC.

Go back to the basics of Kerry/Obama '12 and throw in AZ as a place to contend to stretch the map.

Regardless, if the Clintonistas of the Party continue to blame Bernie for your candidate's loss (Whom I reluctantly voted for, as did most of my family) you either need to get a really good fifth of Canadian Bourbon, or some really strong medical Herb, to keep convincing yourself that you voted for the best Democrat in the Primaries...

Just sayin'
SCNCmod

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2017, 04:20:53 PM »

What Dems would you (and the people you know) likely vote for over Trump in 2020?
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2017, 04:24:35 PM »

Warren, Harris, and Franken.
world.execute(me)
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2017, 07:48:34 PM »

Wow, what an original and thought-provoking point! It reminds me of how Barry Goldwater's landslide loss in 1964 foreshadowed the landslide loss of fellow right-winger Ronald Reagan sixteen years later.

Oh wait, I just remembered: not only did Reagan win in 1980, but won by an absolutely massive margin against an incumbent President. Politics is not a one-dimensional field of study; attributing McGovern's loss solely to his status as a "true progressive" or whatever is at best intellectually dishonest, and at worst (and more realistically, considering who I'm quoting) painfully ignorant.

Anyway, I'll say to those morons the same thing I said last time: you want an "establishment liberal," you'll lose in an epic bloodbath. Don't believe me? Look up the electoral map from 1984 and see what happened to the establishment candidate Walter Mondale.

Of course, reagan worship and religious devotion to his flawed policies have done terrible things to the republican party and the country, respectively.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies