VA-GOV 2017: Utter Panic and Doom (General election: Nov 7th)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:58:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  VA-GOV 2017: Utter Panic and Doom (General election: Nov 7th)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 67 ... 73
Author Topic: VA-GOV 2017: Utter Panic and Doom (General election: Nov 7th)  (Read 161725 times)
Hydera

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1525 on: November 02, 2017, 09:12:37 PM »

It's strange how pretty much everyone has been treating the candidate who has consistently trailed in the polls as the favorite in this race from pretty much the day after the primary.  Not that he can't win and not that Northam hasn't done some dumb stuff this week, but the whole thing just seems very odd to me.

Nobody wants to be wrong especially after last year. I do remember the same thing being said about JBE during Louisiana in '15 saying he was going to lose just barely because it was Louisiana and ended up winning comfortably.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #1526 on: November 02, 2017, 09:21:16 PM »

Holy crap are you guys annoying.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1527 on: November 02, 2017, 09:23:15 PM »

It's strange how pretty much everyone has been treating the candidate who has consistently trailed in the polls as the favorite in this race from pretty much the day after the primary.  Not that he can't win and not that Northam hasn't done some dumb stuff this week, but the whole thing just seems very odd to me.

Nobody wants to be wrong especially after last year. I do remember the same thing being said about JBE during Louisiana in '15 saying he was going to lose just barely because it was Louisiana and ended up winning comfortably.

But this is more like everyone assuming a bland Republican running under a Dem president with 38% approval is going to lose a Gov race in Louisiana until the last minute.  Sure, VA is more like a Democratic Georgia than a Democratic Louisiana, but you get the idea.    
HST1948

« Reply #1528 on: November 02, 2017, 09:24:14 PM »

Kind of an unrelated question, but if I recall CNU has been doing a weekly tracking poll that comes out on Thursday night/Friday... does anyone know if they are going to have  a final poll this week?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1529 on: November 02, 2017, 09:27:44 PM »

Dean has repudiated DFA's statement.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1530 on: November 02, 2017, 09:30:51 PM »

Kind of an unrelated question, but if I recall CNU has been doing a weekly tracking poll that comes out on Thursday night/Friday... does anyone know if they are going to have  a final poll this week?

It would probably make more sense to delay that until the weekend and release it on Monday.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1531 on: November 02, 2017, 09:35:17 PM »

Early vote map:

Green: Early vote increase today is greater than the statewide increase of 150% compared to 2013
Yellow: Early vote increase today is higher than it was in 2013, but less than the statewide increase of 150%
Red: Early vote is below where it was today in 2013
Grey: No data

Source
Fudotei
fudotei
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1532 on: November 02, 2017, 09:39:07 PM »

I know that the horse race and tendency to portray politics as a reality show is ruining the political climate of the country, but oh man, this is a fun race to watch. Gillespie digging up the dead body of Jefferson Davis and prancing him around on stage while Northam calls him a Trumpite on Fox News --
 a 1m+ grassroots org denounces a moderate in the home of the nationally acceptable Moderate Neoliberal Democrat -- last four days of this are going to be fairly down.

Gillespie by a point. And Guadagno holds Murphy to 10 point margin.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #1533 on: November 02, 2017, 09:42:08 PM »

I know that the horse race and tendency to portray politics as a reality show is ruining the political climate of the country, but oh man, this is a fun race to watch. Gillespie digging up the dead body of Jefferson Davis and prancing him around on stage while Northam calls him a Trumpite on Fox News --
 a 1m+ grassroots org denounces a moderate in the home of the nationally acceptable Moderate Neoliberal Democrat -- last four days of this are going to be fairly down.

Gillespie by a point. And Guadagno holds Murphy to 10 point margin.

HAHAHA....

Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1534 on: November 02, 2017, 09:42:54 PM »

Early vote map:

Green: Early vote increase today is greater than the statewide increase of 150% compared to 2013
Yellow: Early vote increase today is higher than it was in 2013, but less than the statewide increase of 150%

Source

A lot of the green is in prime Northam territory, although there's a couple of red areas sprinkled in there.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1535 on: November 02, 2017, 09:44:55 PM »

what i worry about is that the green areas are just burning election day democratic votes rather than being genuine upward momentum.

i really can't extrapolate from this and want to wait til election day before seeing stuff, but, ya know, here we are.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1536 on: November 02, 2017, 09:45:52 PM »

Early vote map:

Source

A lot of the green is in prime Northam territory, although there's a couple of red areas sprinkled in there.

There's also plenty of green in the exurbs, but when you combine the high turnout in Hampton Roads with the lower EV turnout in SW VA, this looks encouraging for Northam, if conclusions can be drawn from it.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #1537 on: November 02, 2017, 09:47:53 PM »

Early vote map:

Source

There's also plenty of green in the exurbs, but when you combine the high turnout in Hampton Roads with the lower EV turnout in SW VA, this looks encouraging for Northam, if conclusions can be drawn from it.

This is a good map for Northam, reassuring.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1538 on: November 02, 2017, 09:53:23 PM »

I disagree with your end analysis, but yeah, this last week has been hell to watch. Its like both campaigns realized that they didn't want to leave any bullets left in the chamber - so they fired them all at once.

Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1539 on: November 02, 2017, 10:00:03 PM »
« Edited: November 02, 2017, 10:05:34 PM by Yank2133 »

Those liberal who know about the DFA definitely vote. Now, at least some will probably abstain. In off year elections, every vote counts and turnout counts. Not a good omen for Northam. I still remain pessimistic about the race as a whole. As usual, Atlas goes radically too far both ways. This does not mean Northam will lose, nor is it irrelevant- it will have an effect.

Lmao.

Stop pretending as if you know anything about Democratic politics in Virginia. DFA is an out of state group, they aren't relevant to VA politics what so ever.
swf541

« Reply #1540 on: November 02, 2017, 10:02:05 PM »

Those liberal who know about the DFA definitely vote. Now, at least some will probably abstain. In off year elections, every vote counts and turnout counts. Not a good omen for Northam. I still remain pessimistic about the race as a whole. As usual, Atlas goes radically too far both ways. This does not mean Northam will lose, nor is it irrelevant- it will have an effect.

Lmao.

Stop pretending as if you know anything about Democratic politics in Virginia. DFA is a out of state group, they aren't relevant to VA politics what so ever.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1541 on: November 02, 2017, 10:09:11 PM »

Pretty sure the Sanders cultists want Northam to lose so they’ll have something new to whine about.

oh come on

Gillespie is everything i hate about politics. everything. Despite my obvious annoyance for Northam and his mediocre moderate hero politics I felt this close to donating $25 to his campaign.

Sorry, that was a dumb thing to say.  I’ve been having a rough day and this mess just caused me to lash out a little.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1542 on: November 02, 2017, 10:11:33 PM »

LOL this thread is peak Atlas.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1543 on: November 02, 2017, 10:14:18 PM »

gonna put in my final guess: northam + 6
Fudotei
fudotei
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1544 on: November 02, 2017, 10:22:00 PM »

I disagree with your end analysis, but yeah, this last week has been hell to watch. Its like both campaigns realized that they didn't want to leave any bullets left in the chamber - so they fired them all at once.

I'm (a little) joking about the Murphy result, since Guadagno doesn't have the resources to be throwing up Gillespie ads in New Jersey (this race would be Lean/Likely D even without Christie), but I really am disappointed that the Guadagno campaign isn't doing anything.

Gillespie is playing a pretty solid campaign - classic Trump/Fox 2016 playbook. Repeat, repeat, harp, motivate the base, do not for a single moment let up and make sure the terms are as brutal as can be. The Northam campaign, which exists because it needs to and not for any ideological need, is prone to falling trap to these kinds of attacks. Terrible kind of electoral politics but it's one that becomes inevitable in the changing America.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #1545 on: November 02, 2017, 10:34:38 PM »

The Trump playbook did not prove to be successful in Virginia.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1546 on: November 02, 2017, 10:37:28 PM »

So... I haven't been here for a full cycle yet, but... is this the norm for any competitive race on Atlas? Like, complete madness until election night?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1547 on: November 02, 2017, 10:40:13 PM »

People seem to forget that not only did Hillary win it, she did so by more than Obama.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1548 on: November 02, 2017, 10:40:56 PM »

So... I haven't been here for a full cycle yet, but... is this the norm for any competitive race on Atlas? Like, complete madness until election night?

Basically. Extreme overreaction and whiplash to every minor event.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #1549 on: November 02, 2017, 10:42:31 PM »

People seem to forget that not only did Hillary win it, she did so by more than Obama.

It also seems to be forgotten that the Clinton campaign abandoned the state in August, leaving Trump pretty much uncontested on the airwaves and on the ground. To be fair, the latter was a disaster with highlights such as Trump talking about abandoned factories at a rally in Loudoun County.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 67 ... 73  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies