VA-GOV 2017: Utter Panic and Doom (General election: Nov 7th)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:54:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  VA-GOV 2017: Utter Panic and Doom (General election: Nov 7th)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 73
Author Topic: VA-GOV 2017: Utter Panic and Doom (General election: Nov 7th)  (Read 161128 times)
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: April 29, 2017, 09:59:38 PM »

The Dem debate was interesting, I suppose. They mostly spoke parallel of each other with the exception of Perriello pressing Northam on whether Dominion Energy influenced his position on gas pipelines, which Northam more or less sidestepped with an answer on pragmatism.

I'm glad someone finally acknowledged the imbalance between what NOVA sends to Richmond and what it gets back in terms of tax dollars from the state government, and it happened to be Northam when talking about Fairfax's recent school budget crisis. To be fair to Perriello on education, he gave an excellent answer on why making community college and trade school tuition-free would be a boon economically.

As for who won, I'd say it was a wash.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #301 on: April 29, 2017, 10:06:50 PM »

Basically the same as heatcharger^^^

I'd say the one exchange on guns was interesting. Perriello really tried to distance himself from that NRA endorsement, and even went so far as to attack Northam for being "the deciding vote" on gun safety. I wonder if this will be a topic in the next couple of debates.

Good stuff though, nonetheless.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #302 on: April 29, 2017, 10:17:17 PM »

I'd say the one exchange on guns was interesting. Perriello really tried to distance himself from that NRA endorsement, and even went so far as to attack Northam for being "the deciding vote" on gun safety.

Yeah, that was a little odd for Perriello. He's really reluctant to talk about his previously conservative record on guns and abortion.

Also, are there anymore Sanders-Northam supporters like you? I wonder because Northam has more support among the youngs than I expected. Perhaps that's because of his stronger ties to the Democratic machine in the state.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #303 on: April 29, 2017, 11:42:53 PM »

I'd say the one exchange on guns was interesting. Perriello really tried to distance himself from that NRA endorsement, and even went so far as to attack Northam for being "the deciding vote" on gun safety. I wonder if this will be a topic in the next couple of debates.

I'm surprised that Virginia Democrats are shifting so far on gun control. Then again, McAuliffe was very pro gun control during his 2013 campaign.

I guess Jim Webb was the last of the mainstream pro-gun Virginian Democrats.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #304 on: April 30, 2017, 12:41:16 PM »

I'm surprised that Virginia Democrats are shifting so far on gun control. Then again, McAuliffe was very pro gun control during his 2013 campaign.

It's all about NoVA now.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #305 on: April 30, 2017, 12:42:48 PM »

It's all about NoVA now.

I feel like Perriello is less NoVA-centric than Northam, considering he's talked about giving more attention to counties other than NoVA and the Tidewater counties IIRC.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #306 on: May 02, 2017, 12:57:18 PM »

Another great ad from Northam goes right after Trump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDonPK5bJoM
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #307 on: May 02, 2017, 01:20:47 PM »

to his credit, Northam is running a very strong campaign.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #308 on: May 02, 2017, 02:15:19 PM »

The ad makes a sharp anti-Trump turn about two thirds in.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #309 on: May 02, 2017, 02:33:25 PM »

The ad makes a sharp anti-Trump turn about two thirds in.

VA Tech Shooting to Trump is a narcisstic maniac. Really going bang for your buck with that one.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #310 on: May 04, 2017, 02:50:47 PM »

New timely Perriello ad
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #311 on: May 04, 2017, 02:52:44 PM »

Pretty good ad.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #312 on: May 04, 2017, 04:45:00 PM »

I believe it's made by the same people that did the Kander rifle ad.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #313 on: May 04, 2017, 11:04:54 PM »

One thing I think the Perriello did is light a fire under Ralph Northam's bum - and I'm very appreciative of that regardless of who wins the primary.

These two candidates are inspiring one another to do their best work.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #314 on: May 05, 2017, 11:00:32 AM »

One thing I think the Perriello did is light a fire under Ralph Northam's bum - and I'm very appreciative of that regardless of who wins the primary.

These two candidates are inspiring one another to do their best work.

Well said
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #315 on: May 07, 2017, 12:07:30 AM »

Tom Perriello went to NBC & said the AHCA put state Republicans on notice & that it will put more state legislatures in play. He challenged Ed Gillespie to take the pledge to not take the waiver on pre-existing conditions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXps6qYSQtM

And he has a new ad titled "the President" with Obama saying Tom went to DC & took on Wall Street, insurance companies & hugs him during Tom's re-election campaign. Tom then talks about he had non-profits to fight climate change, poverty & Bush's attack on Civil Liberty

(George freaking Bush whom Northam supported twice btw)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26n6cQ0WtU4
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #316 on: May 07, 2017, 12:31:23 AM »

Tom Perriello went to NBC & said the AHCA put state Republicans on notice & that it will put more state legislatures in play. He challenged Ed Gillespie to take the pledge to not take the waiver on pre-existing conditions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXps6qYSQtM

Come to think about it, the AHCA does give state-level Democrats a somewhat potent line of attack. Even if the bill ultimately doesn't end up passing (or is made substantially less horrifying), it is still an angle to hit them on for this year's limited elections.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #317 on: May 07, 2017, 01:13:12 AM »

Come to think about it, the AHCA does give state-level Democrats a somewhat potent line of attack. Even if the bill ultimately doesn't end up passing (or is made substantially less horrifying), it is still an angle to hit them on for this year's limited elections.

And even in 2018, should the Senate bill still contain the waiver, it's a lot more powerful to say, "Your Governor, X McRepublican, elected to make you pay more on health insurance," than other more abstract attacks.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #318 on: May 08, 2017, 02:11:00 AM »
« Edited: May 08, 2017, 02:13:31 AM by Shadows »

Perriello, a first-term Democrat in a rural, red, New Jersey-sized patch of "Southside" Virginia, had cast a key vote for Waxman-Markey, the House's cap-and-trade bill that would go on to die in the Senate. Ads by the National Republican Congressional Committee, which supported his challenger Robert Hurt to the tune of $1.1 million, dubbed it an "energy tax." The US Chamber of Commerce piled on too. When Perriello eventually lost by 4 points, the NRCC claimed his climate advocacy, along with his vote for the Affordable Care Act, was a big reason why.

But unlike a lot of other Democrats who were swept out to sea in that 2010 wave, Perriello had run on, not from, his support for the Obama agenda. "I think we convert more people by being bolder on climate instead of soft on climate," he said. "People thought that was a bad vote for me, but we didn't just vote for it; we went out and made the case to farmers and small-business owners—literally got down to the level of cow manure and capturing methane off of cow manure for farmers to be able to power their own farms." He cited an election-eve poll that showed voters trusted him by 24 points on energy issues.

A few supporters of the Atlantic pipeline gripped posters calling Perriello a "job killer" for his environmentalist objections—just like the old times—but no one paid them much attention. A few feet away, behind the scrum of shouting youths, a supporter clutched a sign that said "Perriello ♥'s Obamacare." In a time when everything seems upside-down, it was a simple image of how Tom Perriello landed on his feet.

Full Article - http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2017/05/tom-perriello-ralph-northam-climate-march

394, 630 Youtube views already & increasing! This ad is becoming a rage !
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #319 on: May 13, 2017, 02:53:41 PM »

Tommy P has an exchange with Richard Spencer on Twitter: https://twitter.com/tomperriello/status/863454033813438464
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #320 on: May 13, 2017, 03:10:29 PM »

Jarrett endorses Perriello.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #321 on: May 13, 2017, 03:15:15 PM »

I'm quite curious to see if Obama actually does anything.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #322 on: May 13, 2017, 03:27:05 PM »

As if we needed more evidence that Northam is despicable and should have no place in the modern Democratic Party, this charming exchange from 2011 just came to light. The moderator asked Northam "Do you think that access to quality health care is a right?", to which Northam replied "I believe it's a privilege" and then went on to spew right-wing drivel that basically boiled down to "Poor people should just pull themselves up by their bootstraps if they want healthcare!"

What a disgrace.

Dont worry guys... if Dems just keep moving to the center, they'll win! Combine that with minority turnout...they'll never lose again!

Hmmm...where have we heard this from again?

Democrats, the kind that you don't like, control every statewide elected office.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #323 on: May 13, 2017, 03:34:47 PM »

...and a whopping 6 states have Democratic trifectas in the whole country.

Perhaps it would help if leftists decided to vote in off-year elections. I also thought we were talking about Virginia here.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #324 on: May 13, 2017, 04:05:05 PM »

...and a whopping 6 states have Democratic trifectas in the whole country.

Perhaps it would help if leftists decided to vote in off-year elections. I also thought we were talking about Virginia here.

Hence my earlier point about why moving to the center depresses leftist turnout

Not in Virginia
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 73  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies