VA-GOV 2017: Utter Panic and Doom (General election: Nov 7th)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:16:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  VA-GOV 2017: Utter Panic and Doom (General election: Nov 7th)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 73
Author Topic: VA-GOV 2017: Utter Panic and Doom (General election: Nov 7th)  (Read 161688 times)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2017, 05:47:56 PM »

Even before Northam was the "annointed one" I was very reluctant in my support of him because I thought he was a potential turncoat and representative of a Virginia Democrat that doesn't really represent the state anymore. I think Democrats need these kind of primary fights - the GOP had so many primary fights and now they control almost every lever of power imaginable. Why are Democrats so afraid of any sort of contest?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2017, 06:00:34 PM »

WH not ruling out an endorsement, praised his candidacy.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2017, 06:44:12 PM »

I've always liked Perriello, but I'll be volunteering for Northam.  

Change your avatar then.

First of all, Northam is not a Dixiecrat or anything like that. He's not even as conservative as Webb for that matter. He's a typical VA Dem, but further, Perriello isn't even some "progressive hero". He just happened to fight for Obamacare and the Obama administration when it wasn't popular to do so.

Also, you have a Green avatar, lol. Why do you get to insinuate that Miles is too conservative to be a Democrat, if by your own admission you don't fit in the Democratic spectrum either? You should be aware that VA is not a progressive bastion, exemplified by the slew of centrist politicians, as well as Bernie getting crushed in the primary.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2017, 07:04:07 PM »

I am genuinely curious as to why Perriello is considered progressive.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2017, 07:09:01 PM »

Because apparently from now on, every democratic primary race will be compared to the 2016 Democratic Primaries.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2017, 07:22:03 PM »

Less progressive and more populist, which is what I think the base really wants more than anything. I would kinda compare him to Jon Tester or Sherrod Brown.

Also, dude ran CAP.

White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2017, 07:26:30 PM »

Perriello seems like a great candidate. If this guy can unseat Virgil Goode while still maintaining some fairly progressive views, then he should be able to crush almost any Republican.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2017, 07:39:23 PM »

Northam seems like a better fit for the stereotype of what Virginia is like, but he also seems kind of awful. Perriello, while I wish he was further left on social issues, at least sems like a real Democrat.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2017, 07:39:55 PM »

Perriello seems like a great candidate. If this guy can unseat Virgil Goode while still maintaining some fairly progressive views, then he should be able to crush almost any Republican.

You make it sound like Virgil Goode was a strong incumbent in a heavily R district, as opposed to a racist PoS in a GOP-leaning but not totally out of reach district.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2017, 08:09:19 PM »

Good. A bitter democratic primary can only help Gillespie.

Perriello personally calling Northam to let him know he's entering the race doesn't scream "bitter primary" to me.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2017, 09:14:23 PM »
« Edited: January 05, 2017, 09:18:59 PM by Maxwell »

A reminder to people calling Perriello "conservative" - he was in an R+5 district. I think standing for some of the things he stood for was pretty brave considering that.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2017, 09:42:27 PM »

A reminder to people calling Perriello "conservative" - he was in an R+5 district. I think standing for some of the things he stood for was pretty brave considering that.

Agreed
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2017, 10:24:37 PM »

Not calling him conservative, per say... But voting against a woman's right to choose and getting an 'A' rating and the endorsement of the NRA twice, doesn't scream progressive hero, which he is being framed to be.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2017, 10:54:02 PM »

I've always liked Perriello, but I'll be volunteering for Northam. 

Change your avatar then.

To what? Miles is a real LA Dem. Tongue
I think he meant Miles should change it to D-VA.

But he's entitled to use whatever avatar he wants.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2017, 11:00:26 PM »

It's not like he vanished off the face of the Earth. He ran CPAC for a while, and replaced Russ Feingold as an envoy to the Congo.

Since I don't often hear any news from Kinshasa, as far as I knew he had vanished from the face of the Earth.

Ugh. I like Perriello, but Northam has my complete support. I have met Northam multiple times, and he is going to be a great governor. Perriello should most definitely run in 2021 or run for Congress again.

The idea that he is a progressive hero is pretty ridiculous. He has been a great advocate for wonderful programs like ACA and the Stimulus which led to him losing his re-election. But just because of that doesn't mean this race will be one between a Sanders and a Webb. They are really not that dissimilar.

Northam will win this, but I do not under-estimate that Perriello will be a strong challenger.

Does the fact that no one outside of Virginia has ever heard of this Northam person enter into the equation? Perriello is Democratic Party Royalty. 2010 was a bloodbath and his near win was one of the few bright spots on that horrid night. I wish he had run for something sooner, but its only been 6 years, he still has a bright future ahead of him.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2017, 02:15:38 AM »
« Edited: January 06, 2017, 02:19:04 AM by Chickenhawk »

For me, at least, this video/policy statement is a pretty good summation of why I think that he's One Of Us.

His economic analysis is spot on. Like, I'm always genuinely shocked by the number of Dems who aren't even willing to say that globalization hurts people, or automation isn't *about* to hurt people.

Also, tbh, gun control isn't a Prog be-all-end-all issue, it's a Liberal be-all-end-all issue. And that's a pretty hot take, but I'll stand by it.
arjavrawal
Rookie
United States

« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2017, 03:19:33 AM »

You guys have to remember he won because he ran against Virgil goddamn Goode.

That being said, he genuinely seems like a nice guy and I'm very interested by his videos that he posted today.
anthonyjg
anty1691

Political Matrix
E: -8.52, S: -7.48

« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2017, 10:28:40 AM »

You guys have to remember he won because he ran against Virgil goddamn Goode.

That being said, he genuinely seems like a nice guy and I'm very interested by his videos that he posted today.
To be fair, he did almost win again in the 2010 GOP wave.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2017, 11:43:00 AM »

It's not like he vanished off the face of the Earth. He ran CPAC for a while, and replaced Russ Feingold as an envoy to the Congo.

Since I don't often hear any news from Kinshasa, as far as I knew he had vanished from the face of the Earth.

Ugh. I like Perriello, but Northam has my complete support. I have met Northam multiple times, and he is going to be a great governor. Perriello should most definitely run in 2021 or run for Congress again.

The idea that he is a progressive hero is pretty ridiculous. He has been a great advocate for wonderful programs like ACA and the Stimulus which led to him losing his re-election. But just because of that doesn't mean this race will be one between a Sanders and a Webb. They are really not that dissimilar.

Northam will win this, but I do not under-estimate that Perriello will be a strong challenger.

Does the fact that no one outside of Virginia has ever heard of this Northam person enter into the equation? Perriello is Democratic Party Royalty. 2010 was a bloodbath and his near win was one of the few bright spots on that horrid night. I wish he had run for something sooner, but its only been 6 years, he still has a bright future ahead of him.

No... It really doesn't. Being "known" to a select group of Dems in Washington, doesn't give you an edge over being the popular Lt. Governor of the state you are running in.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2017, 02:37:40 PM »

Perriello repudiates his Stupak amendment vote.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2017, 02:56:41 PM »

I think I may have underestimated Perriello a bit. This could be a serious fight.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2017, 04:53:08 PM »

Northam welcomes Primary Challenge. Amazing man. Go Northam.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2017, 05:34:47 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if soon (maybe even with the FLL Airport Shooting) he'll also repudiate his pro-NRA record (the group endorsed him over Hurt in 2010).
This primary will be fun to watch and follow, especially with not much else going on.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2017, 05:49:14 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if soon (maybe even with the FLL Airport Shooting) he'll also repudiate his pro-NRA record (the group endorsed him over Hurt in 2010).
This primary will be fun to watch and follow, especially with not much else going on.

He already did that in 2013.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2017, 08:52:37 PM »

I think his pivot to the left on abortion is regrettable but understandable.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 73  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies