Election of 2064: Based off this map, guess the election results.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:58:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Election of 2064: Based off this map, guess the election results.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Election of 2064: Based off this map, guess the election results.  (Read 3130 times)
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 04, 2017, 01:05:03 PM »
« edited: January 06, 2017, 10:40:01 PM by Calthrina950 »

As in the title, the map shown below shows the county-level vote of the future election of 2064. Based off the map, I am asking for predictions, guesses, of who won which states, the circumstances that produced such a victory, and why. As the predictions come in, I will provide more information about the scenario.

Here is the map:

Also can be found here: http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/novelas/images/c/cd/2064_County_Results.PNG/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/1024?cb=20170104171014
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 01:31:49 PM »

I'm stumped what coalition could possibly produce such a map, unless many of those blue areas are borderline uninhabited. Guessing Team Blue won
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 01:54:45 PM »

I'm stumped what coalition could possibly produce such a map, unless many of those blue areas are borderline uninhabited. Guessing Team Blue won

Well, this map does suppose the continuation of demographic, economic, and social changes in the United States over the next half-century. Moreover, you are correct in that "Team Blue" won the election. But which states do you think were possibly won by "Team Red". Which ones were absolutely routs? And which were close?
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 02:03:15 PM »

I'm guessing the Deep South, as well as the Dakotas, Indiana, Kansas and Nebraska were solid for team red and they possibly won there. California was obviously a rout, as well as most of the northeast. Illinois and Idaho were possibly won by the reds or was close, too.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 02:06:33 PM »

I'm guessing the Deep South, as well as the Dakotas, Indiana, Kansas and Nebraska were solid for team red and they possibly won there. California was obviously a rout, as well as most of the northeast. Illinois and Idaho were possibly won by the reds or was close, too.

Illinois and North Dakota were not close. Also, the county results in the Deep South, Nebraska, Kansas, and Indiana are all misleading, as well as those for South Dakota.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 04:49:26 PM »

Illinois and North Dakota were not close. Also, the county results in the Deep South, Nebraska, Kansas, and Indiana are all misleading, as well as those for South Dakota.
So... Was it a 50 states landslide for team blue?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 04:52:13 PM »

No. It was a 49-state landslide, based off this map. But which state was it that held out against blue? That is the question....
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 05:03:20 PM »

No. It was a 49-state landslide, based off this map. But which state was it that held out against blue? That is the question....

I'd have to guess Mississippi.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 05:06:28 PM »

My god, you are correct! Mississippi is the closest state in the election, and the only win for "Team Red". Why did you think Mississippi was the lone holdout? Which counties kept it from going for Team Blue? And what about neighboring Alabama? I would have thought that it might have also been posed as a possibility.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2017, 10:12:19 PM »

My god, you are correct! Mississippi is the closest state in the election, and the only win for "Team Red". Why did you think Mississippi was the lone holdout? Which counties kept it from going for Team Blue? And what about neighboring Alabama? I would have thought that it might have also been posed as a possibility.

Not much of a Mississippi expert, really. It looks like Hinds went red though. The Birmingham, AL metro area broke for blue, which is why I didn't say that.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2017, 11:00:33 PM »

Not much of a Mississippi expert, really. It looks like Hinds went red though. The Birmingham, AL metro area broke for blue, which is why I didn't say that.

That is what happened. "Team Red" won Mississippi by 0.99%, while Alabama went for "Team Blue" by 1.83%. What about Nebraska, Kansas, and South Dakota? What allowed "Team Blue" to carry those states?
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2017, 11:59:33 PM »

how did you make that map?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2017, 12:18:09 AM »

There was a link on the boards here somewhere, about how to create county maps online for elections.
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2017, 12:20:04 AM »

There was a link on the boards here somewhere, about how to create county maps online for elections.

Do you have that link still?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2017, 12:48:17 AM »

Not off the top of my head, but I should be able to find it later on.

Do you have any questions or observations about the results on the map?
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2017, 01:12:35 AM »

Did team red win any electoral votes in NE? And how close was SD?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2017, 01:17:49 AM »
« Edited: January 05, 2017, 01:20:23 AM by Calthrina950 »

Did team red win any electoral votes in NE? And how close was SD?

No. "Team Blue" won all of Nebraska's electoral votes. But the margin in Nebraska's 3rd congressional district was extremely close (for obvious reasons); Blue won by 0.18%. In South Dakota, Team Blue won, by a margin of 2.30%. It was the third-closest state, following Mississippi and Alabama. Blue won South Dakota thanks to Minnehaha County, though most of that state's counties (as can be seen) voted red.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2017, 07:30:49 AM »

Is this Atlas Blue/Red or Regular Blue/Red?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2017, 12:52:34 PM »

Is this Atlas Blue/Red or Regular Blue/Red?

Regular Blue/Red. So "Team Blue" is the Democratic Party; "Team Red" is the Republican Party. That could probably be guessed based off the counties won by each.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2017, 01:09:13 PM »

Here is the link for the map: http://www.herbarium.unc.edu/atlasMaps/us-county-clickable.html
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2017, 01:45:48 PM »

Awesome! Thank you
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2017, 02:02:00 PM »

You are welcome.
'
Any other questions about the map?
Captain Chaos
GZ67
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2017, 04:11:00 PM »

Did the Democrats and Republicans change ideologically, or did the parties moderate their ideologies?

Because for a successful candidate to win a 49 state landslide, (s)he will have to be a unifying figure and not run an ideologically extreme campaign.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2017, 08:26:24 PM »

Did the Democrats and Republicans change ideologically, or did the parties moderate their ideologies?

Because for a successful candidate to win a 49 state landslide, (s)he will have to be a unifying figure and not run an ideologically extreme campaign.

Basically, what happened is that the Democratic Party, decimated in the elections of the period 2010-22, greatly changed its ideological stances. Donald Trump (believe it or not) and Bernie Sanders had a permanent effect upon the directions of both political parties. The Democrats returned to their roots as the "true" party of the working class; from about 2024 onwards, Democrats such as Cory Booker, Joseph P. Kennedy III, Sherrod Brown, Tim Ryan, and Joseph Crowley, among others, reoriented the Party on a direction of economic populism, support for the military, and foreign policy strength. That is, the Democrats became firmly opposed to free trade, stepped back from efforts to impose universal healthcare (in a manner that would offend many Americans), and retreated from extreme social stances (such as on transgender rights, religious freedom protections, etc.) They also greatly moderated their stance on the Second Amendment and on gun rights. At the same time, the Democrats became more identified with protectionism, and worked on efforts to make college affordable, to promote American industry, and to protect the interests of unions, agriculture, and labor in general. Democrats, however, continued to rail against "the wealthy and the big interests", and claimed to be staunchly opposed to corporate Wall Street. They also remained by far the more socially liberal of the two parties, and the more willing to spend and to support higher taxes for wealthier Americans.

Republicans, on their part, became far more moderate in regards to trade, and more supportive of American industry, thanks in large part to the influence of Trump. They continued to remain opposed to universal healthcare and universal college education, although they remained in firm support of school vouchers, of private health savings accounts, and of a reduction in the burden of student debt. After about 2030, Republicans came to gradually accept gay marriage, although they always remained the more conservative of the parties in regards to gay and transgender rights. They also remained firm on gun rights and on religious freedom.

The scenario presented here is of a moderate Democrat ("William Rutherford"), of the Ryan/Brown mold, who had been elected four years earlier by a very comfortable margin, and is reelected in a landslide, thanks to the economic, foreign policy, and social circumstances of the time. The Republican candidate ("Thomas Leach") is in effect another Barry Goldwater; although the parties have both changed, ideologues, of either the far-left or far-right persuasion, still, as they do today, tend to pop up in both from time to time. The winner of the election is known for compromise and for being able to adapt to the ideas of their opponents.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2017, 04:42:59 PM »
« Edited: January 06, 2017, 04:55:39 PM by Calthrina950 »

Are there any other questions? About the results, or individual states? Or particular counties (such as which counties voted for which candidate, and by what margin)? What about the popular-vote percentage? Or vote percentages by age groups?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies