An Evangelical Pastor and Bill Clinton. Poignant points that dems need to adopt.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 07:11:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  An Evangelical Pastor and Bill Clinton. Poignant points that dems need to adopt.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: An Evangelical Pastor and Bill Clinton. Poignant points that dems need to adopt.  (Read 738 times)
MissCatholic

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 18, 2005, 10:36:23 AM »

In Northern Louisiana, a pastor who runs the largest Pentecostal Church in the State was talking recently to Bill Clinton. The pastor voted for Reagan twice, Bush snr, Clinton twice and Bush twice.

Clinton: is Bush a good president?
Pastor (Anthony) : I dont like this Iraq war thingy, the deficits and kicking kids out of after school programs is outrageous.
Clinton: so did you vote for him on cultural issues?
Anthony : hmm no...i'm a pro-lifer, anti gay marriage but i voted for you twice and i would vote for Hillary.

Clinton: so WHY did you vote for Bush?
Anthony : (he pauses).......because nobody in your party talks to me anymore. You can't vote for somebody who doesnt talk to you now.

Clinton: Do you think the democrats have anyone in the church to represent their point of view like the Republicans have Dobson, Falwell and Robertson?
Anthony : they dont represent common evangelicals. All we want is to raise our children, hold our communities and families together in a hostile environment. And i'll tell you a secret...you don't need many of us to win!

STATISTICS (nationally with evangelicals)
1996 : Dole 63 Clinton 37.
2000 : Bush 74 Gore 26
2004 : Bush 78 Kerry 21

LOUISIANA
1996 :  Dole 60 Clinton 40
2004 :  Bush 86 Kerry 14 (Bush won by 14pts)

TENNESSEE
1996 : Dole 62 Clinton 38
2004 : Bush 83 Kerry 17 (Bush won by 13 pts)

MISSOURI
1996 : Dole  58 Clinton 42
2004 : Bush 81 Kerry 19 (Bush by 4.5pts)

KENTUCKY
1996 : Dole 64 Clinton 36
2004 : Bush 88 Kerry 12

Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2005, 10:44:21 AM »

It is doubtful the Democrats will get the Evangelicals' votes anytime soon.  With the insane left turn they took on social issues, which seems to occupy a bigger space in people's minds, even the economic policies of the Democrats don't attract populist Evangelicals.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2005, 10:49:26 AM »

This imaginary person is ill-informed if he's already decided to vote for Hillary without knowing who the other candidates in the race will be.
MissCatholic

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2005, 12:24:56 PM »

This imaginary person is ill-informed if he's already decided to vote for Hillary without knowing who the other candidates in the race will be.

Well a recnt poll had Hillary doing better than Kerry/Gore with Evangelicals/Hispanics/African Americas. Hillary loses out though with blue-collar workers. But she will address it.

As she said 'people have assumptions about me. But i can only change that assumption by meeting with them face to face and talking about the issues that affect their lives. Every American has some red and some blue in them i just have to work much harder than others to show that i'm not as bad as your assumption thinks i am. The great thing about America is whether you live in Boise or Hartford, Americans will always listen to you and want to speak to you as they have very few opportunities to meet people that can affect their lives.'

She is right! Whether you are a democrat or a republican no matter hardline you are, if you had the opportunity to talk to Hillary Clinton or George Bush you would do it. i would like to see what % of people politicians meet actually vote for you. I imagine around 85%
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2005, 12:33:30 PM »

i would like to see what % of people politicians meet actually vote for you. I imagine around 85%

That's probably true, but then again you need to account that most people go to see a politician they are already leaning towards voting for.  The real question is, how many people who were visited by a politician (meaning the voter was not planning to meet the politician) ended up voting for them?
MissCatholic

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2005, 10:43:47 AM »

i would like to see what % of people politicians meet actually vote for you. I imagine around 85%

That's probably true, but then again you need to account that most people go to see a politician they are already leaning towards voting for.  The real question is, how many people who were visited by a politician (meaning the voter was not planning to meet the politician) ended up voting for them?

So what do you think about that then?
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2005, 10:58:05 AM »

So what do you think about that then?

I have no figures on which to gauge that on.  Personally, using the 2004 election as an example, if Kerry came to my door to talk to me, my impression of him would probably increase.  However, it would not have changed my vote since his positions and mine did not match up.  Now, if Joe-mentum came to my door, I would possible consider changing my vote.  So, it still boils down to political positions, and not just face-to-face time.
MissCatholic

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2005, 11:57:05 AM »

OK, if Hillary Clinton had a cup of coffee with you. Would that change your vote?

(modu- is it me or are you one of those one in a million nice guys?)
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2005, 12:00:43 PM »

OK, if Hillary Clinton had a cup of coffee with you. Would that change your vote?

It would be tough.  She has a long history of being all over the board, so she would have to find some way to get me to trust her first before I'd consider voting for her.  She is definitely not her husband.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

hahaha . . . guilty.
MissCatholic

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2005, 12:11:19 PM »

During his campaign in 96, Clinton went to the same places again and again and spent 10-15 mins with families discussing politics that affect them.

I am expecting Hillary to do the same. I am more convinced that she will get the nomination and Barack Obama will be her vp. Bill loves him! But she will struggle to win in red america against a remotely good republican.

Anyway...is it true that nice guys come last?

MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2005, 12:32:11 PM »

During his campaign in 96, Clinton went to the same places again and again and spent 10-15 mins with families discussing politics that affect them.

I am expecting Hillary to do the same. I am more convinced that she will get the nomination and Barack Obama will be her vp. Bill loves him! But she will struggle to win in red america against a remotely good republican.

She probably will get the nomination (as things currently stand), but she will need one very charismatic VP with some expeirence to balance out her ticket.  Obama is charismatic, but I don't think he'll be ready come 2008, just like Edwards wasn't in 2004.  As far as Republicans go, there is a good pool of moderate-leaning conservatives lining up (and McCain will not be one of them), so she'll need to start passing a lot of moderate/conservative legislation to truly appeal to the moderate voting block.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

hahaha . . . I dunno.  After all my decades of being on this earth, I'm still single, so I guess so.  Smiley  But then again, the very few ladies I actually attempted to date because "soul mates" instead, so who knows.  I'm content though.  Beyond all my nieces and nephew, I claim all my friends kids as my own, so the only thing that ever lacks in my life is someone around the arm, which isn't much of a loss these days.  hahaha
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2005, 02:17:17 PM »

You need to seperate the Fundies from the rest of the Evangelicals to do any meaningful analysis of this kinda thing. Fundies are a no, no for Democrats (over 70% are Republicans) but Evangelicals aren't.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2005, 03:48:24 PM »

You need to seperate the Fundies from the rest of the Evangelicals to do any meaningful analysis of this kinda thing. Fundies are a no, no for Democrats (over 70% are Republicans) but Evangelicals aren't.

I've been making this point for over a year on this Forum... Grin
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies