If Roe v. Wade is reversed, will Trump sign Rand Paul's federal abortion ban?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:51:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  If Roe v. Wade is reversed, will Trump sign Rand Paul's federal abortion ban?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Yes or no?
yes (R)

yes (D)

yes (L)

yes (C)

yes (G)

yes (S)

yes (I/O)

no (R)

no (D)

no (L)

no (C)

no (G)

no (S)

no (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 10

Author Topic: If Roe v. Wade is reversed, will Trump sign Rand Paul's federal abortion ban?  (Read 2778 times)
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 17, 2016, 04:01:08 PM »

If Roe v. Wade is reversed during Trump's presidency, will Trump just let the states decide like he said on 60 Minutes, or will he sign Rand Paul's federal personhood bill if it passes?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 08:45:39 AM »
« Edited: December 18, 2016, 08:51:31 AM by Spicy Purrito »

If Roe v. Wade is reversed during Trump's presidency, will Trump just let the states decide like he said on 60 Minutes, or will he sign Rand Paul's federal personhood bill if it passes?
It will make the Republican Party pariah for a generation or make social unrest (amongst other things, cause police credibilty to dip under 60%, if not 50%, basically introduce inner-city style gang activity into $300s-low millions priced suburbs though in even slighly wealthier beach suburbs there is already a pervasive culture of hard drug use and sexual assault from the little Trumps of the world hanging out with the cooks and assistant managers)      so bad that this country becomes impossible to govern if they can still scrounge up enough votes.

If Trump will do this, he probably will have no problems starting a major war and since we think he is too pussy and vested in not doing that...
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 06:00:46 PM »

I'm a moderate on the issue. I think abortions should only be banned on Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays, then legalised for the rest of the week.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 03:31:29 AM »

If Roe v. Wade is reversed, then abortion would revert to being a State issue.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 02:14:55 PM »

If Roe v. Wade is reversed, then abortion would revert to being a State issue.
That is true. But if Rand Paul's personhood bill passes, would Trump sign it or just leave abortion to the states?
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 10:38:39 PM »

I'm a moderate on the issue. I think abortions should only be banned on Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays, then legalised for the rest of the week.

One time, someone told me that he thought a 20-week ban was a moratorium on all abortions for the next 20 weeks, almost an experiment in banning it.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 07:39:58 PM »

Justice Thomas has said he would not take a supreme court case that would overturn the precedent set by Roe vs Wade

But then again...the GOP are notorious liars

Who knows? Wasn't Roe v. Wade supposed to be overturned by Casey?
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 05:24:35 PM »

No. The GOP would lose support among white women almost immediately and bleed to death in the next election. There is no way a serious abortion ban will ever happen. 20 week ban, absolutely, a federal abortion ban? No.

The GOP political strategists know this. They know that white women made up like half of their votes and most of them are pro-choice either openly or secretly. It's not going to happen. Restrictions will only happen as long as most white women have access to abortion.

Waterfall
Rookie
United States
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 11:02:00 PM »

Of course Trump won't do it. He doesn't care about abortion and he certainly has no principles that would make him against it.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 08:22:37 AM »

This should be some evidence that he doesn't support personhood-

http://www.nature.com/news/nih-director-francis-collins-staying-on-for-now-1.19081
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 08:32:25 AM »

Wouldn't it require a constitutional amendment, or a Supreme Court ruling, rather than simple legislation?
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2017, 01:19:31 PM »

Trump supports abortion, so no.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2017, 06:54:23 PM »

Wouldn't it require a constitutional amendment, or a Supreme Court ruling, rather than simple legislation?

Yeah, if the SCOTUS overturns Roe v. Wade (which, thank God, is still not very likely), I think it will probably say that regulating abortion falls within the prerogatives of the States. This might actually reenergize the pro-choice movement, by having an obvious enemy to target. But of course it's not worth all the suffering that it would cause.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2017, 09:26:45 PM »

Yeah, if the SCOTUS overturns Roe v. Wade (which, thank God, is still not very likely), I think it will probably say that regulating abortion falls within the prerogatives of the States. This might actually reenergize the pro-choice movement, by having an obvious enemy to target. But of course it's not worth all the suffering that it would cause.

I dont know how you can say that with a straight face. It's literally killing thousands of people every year right now.

Disgusting
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2017, 08:34:06 PM »

I doubt Trump would try to ban it at the federal level, though I do think he really would try to overturn Roe. I think he sees it as a sort of favor owed to his voters more than anything else, but as they say, God can paint straight with crooked lines.

The interesting sidenote is that while the left will blow a gasket if Roe is overturned, they're already blowing a gasket now over absolutely nothing, so perhaps it's already baked in at this point. Perhaps Trump really is the only man who could pull it off since by the time Roe comes up the Party Who Cried Wolf will have done so so many times there will be no one left listening.

Still, unfettered hedonism is a powerful force in our society and perhaps that will conquer all else, whether it be Trump's own reservations or those of the voters.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2017, 06:31:10 AM »
« Edited: January 25, 2017, 06:41:44 AM by Special Boy »

I dont know how you can say that with a straight face. It's literally killing thousands of people every year right now.

Disgusting

It's probably not "killing" who wouldn't be "killed" without it at this point. Keeping thousands out of prisons, though. Though I guess those gripes are mutually exclusive. It also depends on what happens if you finally get illegal abortion. Does it just go back to someone tattling on a bad neighbor at confession or are there DARE like programs at secondary and tertiary institutions and a police substatiion at the Archdiosese? You know, a war on abortion. Will there be just really desperate kids with coathangers and rich housewives "going to Paris" or will there be the abortion equivalent of Breaking Bad because someone smart and underpaid lost Obamacare?

We don't really know how many potential lives are saved. Is a law actually enforced and do people just give up on trying to have abortions?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2017, 10:30:18 AM »

Disgusting

You have become the unlikeliest of allies to me. Bless you in your continuing battles for all that is righteous.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies