Turkey referendum, 2017 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:53:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Turkey referendum, 2017 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Turkey referendum, 2017  (Read 20122 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: April 16, 2017, 12:22:06 PM »

The Turkish executive branch should be more powerful, but...this constitution goes too far in that direction. Nonetheless the country is quite probably better off that Yes is winning.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 12:29:18 PM »

The Turkish executive branch should be more powerful, but...this constitution goes too far in that direction. Nonetheless the country is quite probably better off that Yes is winning.

the country is practically eliminating the separation of powers and any kind of accountability for the government.
Well the current constitution is parliamentary supremacy, which I don't see as ideal either.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 12:34:13 PM »

the country is practically eliminating the separation of powers and any kind of accountability for the government.
Well the current constitution is parliamentary supremacy, which I don't see as ideal either.

there is no practical supremacy and the congress is in the US is kind of almighty too in theory.

erdogan is anyway ruling alone and crushing whoever feels like resisting.
I think the country would certainly be better off with a stronger executive. The only question in my mind is just how much stronger it needs to be.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 12:44:08 PM »

Isn't there already a border fence with Turkey?

us - mexico also have border fence, but still gonna build that wall
Golden Dawn agrees Tongue
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 01:18:06 PM »

Why isn't it a personal choice matter, integration?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 12:21:59 AM »
« Edited: April 17, 2017, 12:24:43 AM by TimTurner »

Why isn't it a personal choice matter, integration?

I don't know, why you believe this referendum, is good, when it gives full power to Erdogan, and makes turkey a dictatorship with Erdogan's wishes going through without any dissent.

Erdogan, a figure comparable to Trump, but worse.

F*K Turkey, and maybe Germany, should stop giving arms to Turkey, and then be shocked, that it's turkish populace voted for Erdogan.

Also: What is the difference between expats from countries, that voted for (Belgium, Austria) and that voted against (Spain, UK, Australia)?

I'm just reacting to people who are citing integration failures et cetera and all.
I don't think you can actually force people to integrate into society unless they want to. If they aren't committing crimes, you are on thin ice as well, because you risk trampling religious freedom as well. Europe needs to understand that it has to be more accommodating of these cultures that the refugees bring. Some of the 'solutions' I've seen proposed, they don't fix the crux of the problem, they only entrench the current situation. Which is not ideal. I am glad that some of the kemalist-laiciest-excessively secularist garbage that is acceptable in France would never fly in America.
As for the referendum; I don't think the whole parliamentary supremacy thing with a figurehead president, that Turkey currently has, is ideal, and I think that checks and balances does work. I don't think some of the parts of this reform are that good at all; but hopefully this will get redone to make things a bit more equal in the future.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies