Tulsi Gabbard will win the Democratic nomination in 2020.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 06:54:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Tulsi Gabbard will win the Democratic nomination in 2020.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Author Topic: Tulsi Gabbard will win the Democratic nomination in 2020.  (Read 17961 times)
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2016, 04:20:37 PM »

She's hit or miss. I do think she will run, but I don't think she'd win the nomination.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2016, 08:39:57 PM »

If she wins the Democratic nomination, the Democrats are the new A Just Russia.
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2016, 09:50:26 PM »

She's hit or miss. I do think she will run, but I don't think she'd win the nomination.

I think that if she ran, she'd have a good chance if Trump is popular.

If Trump is popular, most of the A-listers will pass.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2016, 12:03:42 AM »

Shes got some gross opinions so I hope not. I'd rather just about any democrat than her actually.
Mike67
United States

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2016, 12:09:40 AM »

Shes got some gross opinions so I hope not. I'd rather just about any democrat than her actually.

The Democrats could have a Martin O'Malley-Tulsi Gabbard ticket. It could Tax and Tulsi Wink
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2016, 12:17:43 AM »
« Edited: December 15, 2016, 12:21:21 AM by Phony Moderate »

Some of the comments are a bit harsh; basically she's just an oddball. Like, say, Lincoln Chafee (back in his Republican days especially). Or (here at home) Kate Hoey and Frank Field.

Though she might actually have a reasonable chance. Never underestimate a telegenic candidate (regardless of their gender).
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2016, 12:28:47 AM »

That's an understatement lol.

I don't get all of the hate for her coming from Democrats.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2016, 01:34:06 AM »

I don't think this really passes the smell test. 1992 taught politicians of both parties to always run, in case fortunes shift: George Sr. was very popular in 1991, the Democratic A-listers bowed out, and then a B-lister won a landslide victory when the winds shifted and the President became unpopular. No matter how popular Trump is, Democratic A-listers will all run.

I kinda doubt Gabbard would run against Sanders, who I still expect to take a second crack, but I doubted Paul and Johnson would run against each other in 2012, and I doubted Jeb and Rubio would run against each other in 2016. So maybe. But I suspect she would do very poorly if Sanders was in the field.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2016, 02:24:28 AM »

I don't think this really passes the smell test. 1992 taught politicians of both parties to always run, in case fortunes shift: George Sr. was very popular in 1991, the Democratic A-listers bowed out, and then a B-lister won a landslide victory when the winds shifted and the President became unpopular. No matter how popular Trump is, Democratic A-listers will all run.

I kinda doubt Gabbard would run against Sanders, who I still expect to take a second crack, but I doubted Paul and Johnson would run against each other in 2012, and I doubted Jeb and Rubio would run against each other in 2016. So maybe. But I suspect she would do very poorly if Sanders was in the field.

Why do you expect Sanders to take a second crack?
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2016, 03:05:26 AM »

Tulsi Gabbard would be a fantastic nominee and I would be (at least at this point) extremely enthusiastic to campaign for her.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2016, 08:28:20 AM »

Why do you expect Sanders to take a second crack?

Because he'd be the instant frontrunner if he ran. He'd be in a great position to unify the left once more and if he were to win the nomination this time, he'd have no shortage of VPs to pick from.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2016, 09:44:23 AM »
« Edited: December 15, 2016, 09:46:31 AM by Siren »

I like Tulsi.  She has been consistently strong on veterans issues, especially helping sexual assault victims.  She has high ratings from league of conservation voters, human rights campaign, and other interest groups that I check out.  I actually think her position on lgbt issues says more about her than most politicians because it requires her to publicly repudiate her own father and constantly deal with stupid questions from reporters about why she disagrees with him.  I doubt that was an easy decision to make.  Also, she was right about the DNC.  It should not have been involved in royal coronations.  

I don't know if she actually believes in some of the more progressive movement issues she's been touting lately, but that doesn't matter.  What matters is that someone in the House is championing those causes, and it does make a difference.  It's not like people that support the standing rock sioux grow on trees.  Anyone notice that Rick Nolan won a squeaker re-election in Minnesota?  Tulsi endorsed him toward the end of the campaign and asked for supporters to donate to his campaign.  It's called being a representative for people, something she also seems to do a pretty good job of in Hawaii considering her high approval ratings and her over 80% landslide re-election win.

That said, I'd rather she go for Hirono's Senate seat if she retires or maybe pursue secretary of state, defense, or even VA in a democratic administration.  I don't really want to find out if Americans are ready to elect a non-Christian in the campaign to defeat Trump.  It's pretty obvious (even in this thread) that it would be an issue, and I don't want to take the risk.  That doesn't mean I wouldn't support her, but I don't think she would be the strongest candidate.  Trump would definitely not hesitate to go there in the campaign.
Mike67
United States

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2016, 09:47:20 AM »

I like Tulsi.  She has been consistently strong on veterans issues, especially helping sexual assault victims.  She has high ratings from league of conservation voters, human rights campaign, and other interest groups that I check out.  I actually think her position on lgbt issues says more about her than most politicians because it requires her to publicly repudiate her own father and constantly deal with stupid questions from reporters about why she disagrees with him.  I doubt that was an easy decision to make.  Also, she was right about the DNC.  It should not have been involved in royal coronations.  

I don't know if she actually believes in some of the more progressive movement issues she's been touting lately, but that doesn't matter.  What matters is that someone in the House is championing those causes, and it does make a difference.  It's not like people that support the standing rock sioux grow on trees.  Anyone notice that Rick Nolan won a squeaker re-election in Minnesota?  Tulsi endorsed him toward the end of the campaign and asked for supporters to donate to his campaign.  It's called being a representative for people, something she also seems to do a pretty good job of in Hawaii considering her high approval ratings and her over 80% landslide re-election win.

That said, I'd rather she go for Hirono's Senate seat if she retires or maybe pursue secretary of state, defense, or even VA in a democratic administration.  I don't really want to find out if Americans are ready to elect a non-Christian in the campaign to defeat Trump.  It's pretty obvious (even in this thread) that it would be an issue, and I don't want to take the risk.  That doesn't mean I wouldn't support her, but I don't think she would be the strongest candidate.  Trump would definitely not hesitate to go there in the campaign.

Tulsi would be an interesting Secretary of Defense candidate for President Trump.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2016, 09:50:00 AM »

Trump should appoint her to something.

During the campaign, she was very active on twitter, and noticeably the only election-related tweets she made were opposing a no-fly zone in Syria, which was Trump's position, in opposition to Hillary's position. She pushed for that question in the debate, in which Hillary answered affirmative, and Trump did not. Later, she urged people to register to vote in order to prevent a no-fly zone in Syria. I took that as an implicit endorsement of Trump.
Mike67
United States

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2016, 09:52:10 AM »

Trump should appoint her to something.

During the campaign, she was very active on twitter, and noticeably the only election-related tweets she made were opposing a no-fly zone in Syria, which was Trump's position, in opposition to Hillary's position. She pushed for that question in the debate, in which Hillary answered affirmative, and Trump did not. Later, she urged people to register to vote in order to prevent a no-fly zone in Syria. I took that as an implicit endorsement of Trump.

It would be great to have a Secretary of Defense that was actually in the Military. I don't think that's happened all that much.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2016, 09:59:03 AM »

I will leave the party if she's the nominee. She's a disgusting person.

This. I never thought I'd see the day when I of all people was called a DINO and a conservative Democrat because I wouldn't get on board with the Tumblrina pipe-dream chasing suicide march.
Mike67
United States

« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2016, 10:01:53 AM »

This. I never thought I'd see the day when I of all people was called a DINO and a conservative Democrat because I wouldn't get on board with the Tumblrina pipe-dream chasing suicide march.

There needs to be more Blue Dog Democrats
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2016, 10:02:38 AM »

It's just being called a sore loser because Booker or Clinton lite (Gilibrand) or some other Wall Street shill got the nod.

At least the Bernie people had something to complain about after the Wikileaks dump on day 1 of the DNC which showed that debate questions had been leaked to Hillary.

The top donors to Booker and Gilibrand are the same as Hillary Clinton: Goldman-Sachs, Time Warner and so on. The Democratic Party needs to move away from being a Wall Street party. Booker and Clinton lite don't want that.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2016, 10:13:10 AM »

How is Tulsi part of a "Tumblrina pipe-dream chasing suicide march?" lol

Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2016, 10:14:17 AM »

Sanders on steroids
Mike67
United States

« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2016, 10:15:28 AM »

Tulsi should move to a Red State and run as a moderate Republican
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2016, 10:19:59 AM »

Because she supports universal healthcare, is anti-TPP, doesn't support endless wars of regime change and wants to toughen up on Wall Street. At the same time, she's not afraid to call out radical Islamic extremism, can draw on her experience as a veteran and more.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2016, 10:30:48 AM »

Because she supports universal healthcare, is anti-TPP, doesn't support endless wars of regime change and wants to toughen up on Wall Street. At the same time, she's not afraid to call out radical Islamic extremism, can draw on her experience as a veteran and more.

Nominating a pro-free trade candidate would be a surefire way for the Democrats to lose in 2020. Also, being tough on Wall Street and supporting universal healthcare is hardly a "Tumblrina pipe-dream chasing suicide march."

I can sympathize with Democrats who think enacting universal healthcare seems near impossible at this point, but it seems to be our parties end goal. Obama pushed for it, so whats wrong with campaigning on it?

GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2016, 10:33:58 AM »

Nominating a pro-free trade candidate would be a surefire way for the Democrats to lose in 2020. Also, being tough on Wall Street and supporting universal healthcare is hardly a "Tumblrina pipe-dream chasing suicide march."

I can sympathize with Democrats who think enacting universal healthcare seems near impossible at this point, but it seems to be our parties end goal. Obama pushed for it, so whats wrong with campaigning on it?

Precisely the point I'm making. Nominate a left-wing progressive, perhaps with an economically populist Blue Dog on the bottom of the ticket (or even the other way round), and you can give Trump a run for his money.

Nominate a pro-free trade candidate like Booker, and you end up with a similar result to this year.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2016, 11:58:11 AM »

Precisely the point I'm making. Nominate a left-wing progressive, perhaps with an economically populist Blue Dog on the bottom of the ticket (or even the other way round), and you can give Trump a run for his money.

Nominate a pro-free trade candidate like Booker, and you end up with a similar result to this year.

We'll nominate whoever gets the mosts votes.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies