It would make sense for Maine to get rid of the CD system
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:31:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  It would make sense for Maine to get rid of the CD system
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: It would make sense for Maine to get rid of the CD system  (Read 425 times)
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 13, 2016, 12:17:27 PM »

Because then, they would get the attention and benefits that goes with being a swing state at this point.  It voted pretty much on the national average in 2016.  As it is, they have one Safe D vote, one Likely R vote, and two battleground votes.  Now that it's a swing state, it wouldn't surprise me if some start to call for getting rid of the CD system to get the attention (and economic benefits) that goes with swing state status).
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 12:43:45 PM »

Well, I'm not sure we can definitively say that Maine is a "swing state" now any more than we could say that Montana was a "swing state" after 2008. The 2nd district swung very far to the right likely because of how much more attention it got, and that was the main reason Maine swung so far right. I'd be surprised if we didn't see some regression to the mean in 2020, unless Trump is quite popular.

Either way, dividing two states in particular by congressional district is kind of silly and inconsistent.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies