Who can revitalize the New Jersey GOP?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:15:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Who can revitalize the New Jersey GOP?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who can revitalize the New Jersey GOP?
Kim Guadagno

Jon Bramnick

Steve Rogers

Tom Kean, Jr.

Mike Doherty

Joe Rullo

Jack Ciattarelli

Jennifer Beck

Other

Neither/None of the Above

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 26

Author Topic: Who can revitalize the New Jersey GOP?  (Read 1941 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 09, 2016, 09:44:32 PM »

Obviously, it is clear that New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie is toxic politically. He is like Bush 2007-2008 in New Jersey. Once Christie leaves the stage, which prominent NJ Republican can revitalize the state party and bring it back to prominence?
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 11:00:36 AM »

Joe Piscopo, obviously!
houseonaboat
Rookie
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 10:25:16 PM »

I don't think Jesus could win the governor's race in 2017 if he ran as a Republican. I'm in Morris County, which is basically Christie's home and as reliably red as you can get in Jersey, and Christie is loathed here, as is anyone associated with him.

The party will come back in 2020 but for the next two cycles (2017 and Menendez's race in 2018) I don't see them being able to field a viable candidate.
Mike67
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 10:40:12 PM »

None they're toast
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 02:04:11 AM »

Don Guardian. MAYBE one of Christine Todd Whitman or Frank LoBiondo.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 10:33:18 AM »

While I can't give absolutes, I don't see how the NJ Republicans can run away from Christie enough to win the governor's race, or even to come that close. Christie is unbelievably toxic, so much that I know a few Trump supporters/ Trump leaners who hated Christie--partially even because he kissed up to Trump so pathetically!

Also the Democrats are a lot stronger than one suggests. Even in 2013, Christie won a massive landslide but the Republicans did not gain a single seat in either house of the legislature!

But I think if Murphy (or Wisniewski) has a bad term than it's anyone's game in 2021. And no republican is going to win a Senate seat in the near future
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 11:20:18 PM »

Most of the success NJ Republicans have had have been over tax and spending issues, but tax issues in particular.  If a viable GOP candidate promised to keep Christie's tax cuts, war on public employees, etc, while acknowledging the unsavory side of Christie and promising it will not happen again, there may be a chance.

The other issue for the GOP is that Democratic Sen. Bob Menendez is under indictment.  Menendez is up for reelection in 2018.  Perhaps Christie has hope for running for that seat.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2016, 12:16:14 AM »

Most of the success NJ Republicans have had have been over tax and spending issues, but tax issues in particular.  If a viable GOP candidate promised to keep Christie's tax cuts, war on public employees, etc, while acknowledging the unsavory side of Christie and promising it will not happen again, there may be a chance.

Good luck with such ultraconservative program in non-conservative state. New Jersey is not an Oklahoma or Alabama...
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2016, 12:07:53 PM »

The other issue for the GOP is that Democratic Sen. Bob Menendez is under indictment.  Menendez is up for reelection in 2018.  Perhaps Christie has hope for running for that seat.

However, Christie's war on public employees is exactly what a lot of people find unsavory! Many conservatives I know who dislike the current pension system for public employees really dislike Christie's combativeness. You can oppose the current level of pensions, but Christie has humiliated teachers and students who disagree with him at town hall meetings.

In addition I think the possibility of a pickup in 2018 is very slim. Menendez will in all likelihood be forced out in a primary by a Democrat without much ties to the establishment (maybe Rush Holt) or someone like Pallone who's wanted the job for ages. Also I don't think the GOP can pull off a Senate win in this political climate.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 12:14:23 PM »

Tom Kean Jr., Runyan, or Garrett.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2016, 09:52:18 PM »

Garrett could never win a statewide election. He might run for his old seat again, but he annoyed a lot of NJ Republicans and the national GOP this year, so I doubt they would want that. His blanket homophobia is close to toxic in a good portion of NJ (and a good portion of the 5th district).

Runyan could probably do well, but I haven't read anything of his future plans. I've met Tom Kean Jr. and he seems okay but pretty overrated. A lot of the old hype about him was because of his father, who left office long before many young voters now were born.

I personally think that Jon Bramnick is a much better politician and would be a much more effective candidate for the GOP in 2017 or 2021.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2016, 03:38:12 AM »

Surely - not Garrett. Hi is toxic in most of New Jersey (which is NOT a socially conservative state), and even managed to lose one of the most conservative districts in the state. Kean is, probably, overrated, and Runyan (for time being) is, most likely, done in politics. Then - who?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2016, 10:24:55 AM »

Surely - not Garrett. Hi is toxic in most of New Jersey (which is NOT a socially conservative state), and even managed to lose one of the most conservative districts in the state. Kean is, probably, overrated, and Runyan (for time being) is, most likely, done in politics. Then - who?

Jennifer Beck? Jack Ciattarelli? Shaun Golden?
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2016, 11:05:45 AM »

Jennifer Beck? Jack Ciattarelli? Shaun Golden?

IMHO - first two (at least, i have little info about Golden) - may be. But not in 2017, which, because of Christie, will be hostile to Republican candidates in this state. AFTER that.....
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2016, 03:32:16 PM »

I always assumed he was more moderate, given that he was elected in a socially liberal state.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2016, 05:50:48 AM »
« Edited: December 16, 2016, 07:54:41 AM by smoltchanov »

I always assumed he was more moderate, given that he was elected in a socially liberal state.

Most of New Jersey Republican congressmen - are (at least - by present standards, no one is even close to Clifford Case). Garrett is an exception. He represented somewhat strange district: strongly conservative NW part of the state plus rahther big part of moderate Bergen county. But, essentially, he represented NW only..
hopper
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2016, 12:16:55 AM »

I don't see anybody who can revitalize the NJ State GOP right now. Most of the population gains since 2010+ have been in the Northeast of the State(Union, Essex, Hudson, and Bergen Counties) which have been Dem for decades except for Bergen.

Connecticut has revitalized their State GOP and Connecticut is similar to NJ politically but Connecticut doesn't have a big urban area like Northeast Jersey.

I like Jennifer Beck a lot for Governor in 2021 since I think Murphy will win in 2017. Beck railed against Christie for the gas tax hike and she thought the whole passing a bill so Christie could get a book deal while still in the Governors Office was stupid. She wanted a smaller gas tax hike than the 23 cents a gallon that us New Jerseyans received.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies