A poll about the Democrats
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 12:40:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  A poll about the Democrats
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: The Democrats should have, as its core:
a populist base, with conservatives determining social policy, and a more left-wing approach to the economy

the loony left, with left-wing approaches to both the economy and social values

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: A poll about the Democrats  (Read 2803 times)
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2005, 10:01:11 PM »

Neither. A libertarian approach is appropriate for the Democrats, and for that matter for the Republicans.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2005, 10:03:13 PM »

Well, good, it's about time that the democrats become the good party again (lots of wishful thinking here).

I hope so. I still identify with the party of Cleveland, and hopefully that kind of Democrat will make a comeback. Bredesen is a very, very positive sign- the GOP is attacking him from the left on TennCare. I hope that the trend goes national.

^^^^^^^
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2005, 10:04:57 PM »

Neither.

Socially moderate to liberal, economically moderate
Cashcow

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2005, 12:32:54 AM »

Look at the internals of his job approval rating. More Republicans approve of him than Democrats.

What does center-right economics mean? I hope it's not less right-wing than the Republicans.

It means realistic, but moderated, economic conservatism - not the useless bullsh**t that is practiced by our President. It would not quite involve abolition of the income tax, so it's probably not your thing.

Phil Bredesen is an interesting figure. As far as I can tell, he's established a reasonably effective scheme of economics that is not at all in line with the Democratic party. Has he taken a stance on any social issues? Is it possible that he's actually a social liberal, but does not wish to challenge the Tennessee status quo in fear of sinking popularity?
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2005, 04:35:44 AM »

Look at the internals of his job approval rating. More Republicans approve of him than Democrats.

What does center-right economics mean? I hope it's not less right-wing than the Republicans.

It means realistic, but moderated, economic conservatism - not the useless bullsh**t that is practiced by our President. It would not quite involve abolition of the income tax, so it's probably not your thing.

Phil Bredesen is an interesting figure. As far as I can tell, he's established a reasonably effective scheme of economics that is not at all in line with the Democratic party. Has he taken a stance on any social issues? Is it possible that he's actually a social liberal, but does not wish to challenge the Tennessee status quo in fear of sinking popularity?

Not until the party base switched, no, but given that curently the republicans are center-left, it'd be a good improvement.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2005, 05:02:51 AM »

Not until the party base switched, no, but given that curently the republicans are center-left, it'd be a good improvement.

Republicans are center-left by what standard?
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2005, 05:03:57 AM »

My standard. Smiley
seriously, name, one piece of economicaly conservative legislation the republicans have passed lately?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2005, 05:08:20 AM »
« Edited: July 16, 2005, 05:10:17 AM by Alcon »

My standard. Smiley
seriously, name, one piece of economicaly conservative legislation the republicans have passed lately?

I honestly do not really follow legislation all that closely, but in a country with economics further to the right than the world standard by a fairly decent degree, I have my doubts that the more economically conservative party is not economically conservative.

The standard is not individual; you have to choose a group that the political parties of the U.S. are contained within (i.e. United States, the world) to judge its politics.  It cannot be an arbitrary decision made by saying "this is what the center is, and this center is an absolute standard  because I believe it to be." Smiley
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies