Maryland swung Democratic again
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:14:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Dereich)
  Maryland swung Democratic again
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Maryland swung Democratic again  (Read 1721 times)
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 29, 2016, 06:10:01 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Other than 2004, it has swung Dem every cycle since 1988.
Gabagool102
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 09:12:16 PM »

not surprising, very high AA pop.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 09:12:19 PM »

Very educated and wealthy state. Hillary Clinton dominated the DC area.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 10:25:06 PM »

not surprising, very high AA pop.
Although this time it was educated whites that helped Clinton. AA turnout likely decreased and Trump did better with them as well (Baltimore and PG swung R).
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 10:26:28 PM »

What was the 11th, unless they are counting DC?  Or, maybe it is Idaho?  But, Dave Leip has both Maryland and Idaho swinging GOP.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 10:29:59 PM »

What was the 11th, unless they are counting DC?  Or, maybe it is Idaho?  But, Dave Leip has both Maryland and Idaho swinging GOP.

Probably counting DC as it is essentailly a state when it comes to electoral college. Also Dave Wasserman is a bit more ahead of Dave when it comes to the results, Dave will update here soonish.
Lothal1
Rookie
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 10:35:40 PM »

Trump did way better in rural areas that Hogan won overwhelmingly than Romney, Clinton did better in the inner I-95 corridor from Moco to the West Baltimore suburbs.
Timothy87
Rookie

P P

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 10:29:26 AM »

My home state voted exactly how I thought it would. I predicted we'd be the second best state for Hillary after Hawaii. I wasn't expecting the massive swing in CA.

I knew that Hillary would get a huge boost in the high income Montgomery/Howard corridor, and that Anne Arundel would narrowly flip to her due to the upper middle class/federal workforce impact.

I also predicted Frederick and Kent would narrowly stay in the Republican column due to the rural, exurban and mostly white populations there.

It was pretty obvious the small rural counties would swing heavily to Trump.  If you're wondering what's so different about Talbot, it's home to a lot of retired federal workers, congressmen, etc (Chris Shays lives there for example).

The only surprise to me was the outlying drop in turnout in Baltimore City. They weren't enthused for Clinton.
Pennsylvania Deplorable

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 02:36:01 PM »

This is not surprising at all. MD and VA both have large populations living in the wealthy DC suburbs. Unlike other suburbs, these areas have always opposed republicans because the source of their wealth is usually related to the government. Trump was doomed to lose them by even larger margins than usual because he he focused on winning the working class instead of the rich. They also are more free to virtue signal with their votes since they face no severe economic hardships. Oh, and the beltway is terribly out of touch with most of America. Even the media now admits it. That's why I knew he wouldn't win VA even as I predicted him winning blue states like PA and WI. Adding elitist white suburbanites and the black vote, you have a clear and overwhelming democratic majority in MD. The eastern part of the state and northwest corner got redder, but not many people live there.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 09:49:37 PM »

This is not surprising at all. MD and VA both have large populations living in the wealthy DC suburbs. Unlike other suburbs, these areas have always opposed republicans because the source of their wealth is usually related to the government. Trump was doomed to lose them by even larger margins than usual because he he focused on winning the working class instead of the rich. They also are more free to virtue signal with their votes since they face no severe economic hardships. Oh, and the beltway is terribly out of touch with most of America. Even the media now admits it. That's why I knew he wouldn't win VA even as I predicted him winning blue states like PA and WI. Adding elitist white suburbanites and the black vote, you have a clear and overwhelming democratic majority in MD. The eastern part of the state and northwest corner got redder, but not many people live there.

Well aren't you special.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies