IL-Gov. 2018 Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 06:04:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IL-Gov. 2018 Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 54
Author Topic: IL-Gov. 2018 Megathread  (Read 115018 times)
Pollster
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #600 on: February 11, 2018, 10:59:50 PM »

Pritzker is a landmine.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #601 on: February 12, 2018, 08:46:41 AM »

What would a Pritzer versus Ives matchup look like if she doesn't say anything else crazy and his ties to corruption keep growing?

Cook and all collars (but maybe McHenry) go to Pritzker and the rest doesn't matter at that point.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #602 on: February 12, 2018, 12:54:05 PM »

I really like Pritzker, I don't see everyone's problem with him. He is a really close second to Chris Kennedy, and I would gladly vote for him against Rauner if I could, and I think he would make a great governor.
He's a billionaire who's too closely connected to the corruption of Blagojevich and will not provide the change Illinois desperately needs.

What's too like?

Some people care about policies, not just "which candidate has less money/I would want to have a beer with."
Pritzker has no policies tho

He's campaigning on implementing a progressive income tax, raising the minimum wage to $15, a state public option, and legalizing marijuana. I would call those policies, and so would the dictionary, but maybe you have a different definition.

Biss meanwhile is campaigning on "MUH NOT RICH" and "don't believe what I said six months ago, believe what I'm saying now!" which is why he's going to get thrashed next month.
That implies I actually believe him to govern that way. That implies I actually believe what he says.

Which I don’t, because he’s just another Illinois Dem lying to gain power to enrich himself and Madigan and their friends. He’s a confidant of Blagojevich for Christ’s sake. Nominating him is political suicide in the single ripest Governor pickup opportunity for Democrats. He is a ticking time bomb due to his blatant levels of corruption. He has the exact same problem Hillary had, only magnified because there is actually a “there” there.

So, yes. Biss is fake as hell. Kennedy has negative charisma. Pritzker is literally the shadiest dude in the race on either side, and for that reason is the weakest general election candidate out of all of them.

There are no good choices. It’s amazing that in a state full of Democrats, this is all the party could muster.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #603 on: February 13, 2018, 06:17:44 PM »

With the racial crap being used against Pritzker and Biss being Republican-lite, how the hell is Chris Kennedy a distant third?
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #604 on: February 13, 2018, 08:37:18 PM »

With the racial crap being used against Pritzker and Biss being Republican-lite, how the hell is Chris Kennedy a distant third?

Kennedy is a very awkward man (at least that's the impression I've gotten from him watching the debates). The Kennedy charisma skipped him big time. Plus, he to has some "Republican Lite" positions of his own.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #605 on: February 13, 2018, 09:44:55 PM »
« Edited: February 13, 2018, 09:49:58 PM by Kaniela Ing/Jared Golden 2028 »

http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/December-2017/Chris-Kennedy/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #606 on: February 13, 2018, 10:45:59 PM »

http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/December-2017/Chris-Kennedy/

JFC this primary is like a bad reality show. What a joke.
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #607 on: February 13, 2018, 11:23:07 PM »

What is with the obsession with dying alone? Is he okay?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #608 on: February 14, 2018, 12:35:59 AM »
« Edited: February 14, 2018, 02:08:58 AM by sjoyce »

What is with the obsession with dying alone? Is he okay?
it's because he is acutely aware of his own mortality. and no, but this is illinois politics and no one really is.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #609 on: February 14, 2018, 12:40:49 AM »

I mean Chris Kennedy's entire persona is "Michael Scott goes to Springfield." I kind of love it.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #610 on: February 14, 2018, 08:26:16 PM »

I feel bad for Illinoisans who consistently must vote for the lesser evil. In VA, we generally have sensible choices. Generally.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #611 on: February 14, 2018, 09:37:09 PM »

I feel bad for Illinoisans who consistently must vote for the lesser evil. In VA, we generally have sensible choices. Generally.

No.  The candidates we have are a direct result of the character of the great people of Illinois.  They own it.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #612 on: February 14, 2018, 09:44:46 PM »

You literally have who Dominion Energy picks and that's it lmao.
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #613 on: February 14, 2018, 09:46:05 PM »

How's y'all budget doing?
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #614 on: February 14, 2018, 09:48:08 PM »

How's y'all budget doing?

Needs more revenue, last I heard.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #615 on: February 14, 2018, 09:50:00 PM »

To be fair, the vast majority of the new Democratic delegates who won all those HoD seats turned down Dominion money. I think it was around 13 or 14 of the delegates - a sizable chunk of the Democratic caucus, so it's no small potatoes.

Obviously many/most of the Republicans and Northam are on the wrong side of that, but there does seem to be hope. Even more hope if Democrats make more gains in 2019 with those same kinds of anti-Dominion delegates.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #616 on: February 14, 2018, 09:52:15 PM »

To be fair, the vast majority of the new Democratic delegates who won all those HoD seats turned down Dominion money. I think it was around 13 or 14 of the delegates - a sizable chunk of the Democratic caucus, so it's no small potatoes.

Obviously many/most of the Republicans and Northam are on the wrong side of that, but there does seem to be hope. Even more hope if Democrats make more gains in 2019 with those same kinds of anti-Dominion delegates.

Oh yeah totally. I was being flippant there re: who a *conservative * thinks is reasonable, but I'm enormously optimistic for the future because of A) 2017 and B ) Perriello seemingly working to set up support networks for folks outside of the Dominion pipeline (heh).
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #617 on: February 14, 2018, 10:19:29 PM »

Oh yeah totally. I was being flippant there re: who a *conservative * thinks is reasonable, but I'm enormously optimistic for the future because of A) 2017 and B ) Perriello seemingly working to set up support networks for folks outside of the Dominion pipeline (heh).

Fair enough Tongue

If this kind of activity continues, I wouldn't be surprised to see an anti-Dominion HoD with a more sympathetic state Senate in the 2020s. More turnover and more seats in the HoD gives a lot more opportunity for new blood to displace the """pro-business""" Democrats.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #618 on: February 15, 2018, 09:03:03 AM »

Corporate Dems vs. Bible Belt Republicans

What's not to like?
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #619 on: February 18, 2018, 03:32:46 PM »

There are a lot of interesting races in Illinois aside from Governor.  The Chicago mayoral race is starting to get some attention.  Paul Vallas might run and Garry McCarthy is all but in.  Toni Taxwinkle is being challenged by Bob Fioretti in the aftermath of her pop tax debacle.  She used to be untouchable but not anymore.  Then obviously there's Joe Berrios vs Fritz Kaegi.

Should we we turn this into an Illinois megathread or create a Cook County megathread??
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #620 on: February 18, 2018, 07:28:51 PM »

There are a lot of interesting races in Illinois aside from Governor.  The Chicago mayoral race is starting to get some attention.  Paul Vallas might run and Garry McCarthy is all but in.  Toni Taxwinkle is being challenged by Bob Fioretti in the aftermath of her pop tax debacle.  She used to be untouchable but not anymore.  Then obviously there's Joe Berrios vs Fritz Kaegi.

Should we we turn this into an Illinois megathread or create a Cook County megathread??

Just an IL-Megathread in general is my vote.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #621 on: February 18, 2018, 08:15:42 PM »

Vallas is running for Mayor?!!!

God help us all.

He's strongly considering it.

McCarthy will fill the Garry Chico role, I imagine there will be a black candidate.  If that black candidate has sufficient progressive cred, he/she would be a real threat.  If it's just a local hack, not so much.  Not seeing what constituency Vallas would appeal to outside of the white establishment that will already be behind Rahm.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #622 on: February 19, 2018, 09:31:19 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
breaking tonight
Sherrod Brown Shill
NerdFighter40351
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -6.43

« Reply #623 on: February 20, 2018, 07:05:29 PM »

I know this isn't really relevant but LETS GET SOME MORE BISS LOVE GOIN'!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7dCgwfJfEg
Hoosier_Nick
Nicholas_Roberts
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.03, S: -7.22

« Reply #624 on: February 20, 2018, 08:55:32 PM »

I know this isn't really relevant but LETS GET SOME MORE BISS LOVE GOIN'!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7dCgwfJfEg

I came here to post this.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 54  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies